Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chrono's

Almost got minored at big shoot. My cheapie chrono said I was in good shape - what do you guys recommend when I update. Want a unit I can depend on.

Yep, me too. I'm also looking at new Chrono and have been eyeing the CED M2.

I bought a Chrony Beta Master for about $109. It has done everything I have asked without a single problem. It also appears to be quite accurate based on runs with identical ammo on different chronos.

If I were going to use ti a lot, I would buy a CED. However, I am not one of those folks who is constantly experimenting with new loads so I only use it occasionally.

Even if you have an accurate one doesn't mean you will get the same results at the match. Things like temperature can have a huge effect depending on the powder. This is why most load about 170 pf just to be on the safe side.

Even if you have an accurate one doesn't mean you will get the same results at the match. Things like temperature can have a huge effect depending on the powder. This is why most load about 170 pf just to be on the safe side.

Yep and I tried to take all this into account. Chrono'd on a few different days (one in hot weather and one in cooler) and once about a week prior to the big match when the temps were about the same. I also had my load at a 170pf (or so I thought). When I got to the big match, I chrono'd at 164.8. The temps at the time were in the 60's which is pretty close to what they were when I chrono'd the week prior. It was overcast at the match and the week prior. After telling the MD how baffled I was at not making major, he asked me what chrono I was using. I told him which one , he commented on how they are frequently 20-40 fps off.

It's not fun to think your all safe and then get to the big match and only make minor.

Chrono technique can make a huge difference in getting consistant accurate results.

I use a cardboard box with translucent plastic on top for a chrono box. Exclude direct light.

I was getting consistent results. I just didn't know they were consistently off about 40fps until after I chrono'd at a big match.

Edited by BNorth

I use a cardboard box with translucent plastic on top for a chrono box. Exclude direct light.

Another approach is to simply set a new IPSC target atop the support rods with the white side down and facing the sensors.

I have a Competition Electronics Pro Chrono Digital that works well for me as long as it had sufficient light from above. It does not work well under shade. I've considered the light kit, but somehow I can't bring myself to pay good money for something made of cardboard.

I'm considering the CED with the infrared setup and battery pack.

Lee

Anyone else beside XD Niner like the Chrony models? They looked very convenient for transporting.

It's possible I guess but I go so tired of mine always giving me errors that I turned it into a target and bought a CED

Anyone else beside XD Niner like the Chrony models? They looked very convenient for transporting.
No. I have one on a shelf that is 30-60fps high. After a lot of chrono work I went minor at a major match. I called Chrony and they said that they don't go out of calibration. I ordered a CED with IR screens and couldn't be happier. My readings were the same as the chonos at two major matches last summer.

Anyone who wants to send me a check for $10 in shipping can have my Chrony with a light setup. I'll never open it up again.

I have a Competition Electronics ProDigital that I am happy with.

It would seem like the only real difference in accuracy would be due to the distance between the chrono eyes. Longer distance should have an advantage in accuracy.

I gather that the CED seem to be very consistent between units. How does consistency equal accuracy? If my ProDigital gives a different reading from the CED how do I know the ProDigital is off and not the CED?

Unless there is some calibration technique I don't understand how CED has become the judge and jury on velocity measurement.

Unless there is some calibration technique I don't understand how CED has become the judge and jury on velocity measurement.

Only Chrono that really counts is the one at the major match you're shooting. I found out the hard way mine wasn't calibrated the same as the match chrono. Seems like most here have found the CED to be about the same as some major match chronos.

Maybe most of the major matches use CED? I dunno.

Edited by BNorth

Only Chrono that really counts is the one at the major match you're shooting. I found out the hard way mine wasn't calibrated the same as the match chrono. Seems like most here have found the CED to be about the same as some major match chronos.

Maybe most of the major matches use CED? I dunno.

Yep. And CED usually puts the match chrono's on the prize table afterwards!

I bought a Chrony Beta Master for about $109. It has done everything I have asked without a single problem. It also appears to be quite accurate based on runs with identical ammo on different chronos.

If I were going to use ti a lot, I would buy a CED. However, I am not one of those folks who is constantly experimenting with new loads so I only use it occasionally.

mine also works quite well and accurate