Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Work This One Out...

3 MEN GO INTO A MOTEL. THE MAN BEHIND THE DESK SAID THE ROOM IS $30, SO EACH MAN PAID $10 AND WENT TO THE ROOM.

A WHILE LATER THE MAN BEHIND THE DESK REALIZED THE ROOM WAS ONLY $25, SO HE SENT THE BELLBOY TO THE 3 GUYS' ROOM WITH $5.

ON THE WAY THE BELLBOY COULDN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO SPLIT $5 EVENLY BETWEEN 3 MEN, SO HE GAVE EACH MAN $1 AND KEPT THE OTHER $2 FOR HIMSELF.

THIS MEANT THAT THE 3 MEN EACH PAID $9 FOR THE ROOM, WHICH IS A TOTAL OF $27, ADD THE $2 THAT THE BELLBOY KEPT = $29.

WHERE IS THE OTHER DOLLAR?

3 MEN GO INTO A MOTEL. THE MAN BEHIND THE DESK SAID THE ROOM IS $30, SO EACH MAN PAID $10 AND WENT TO THE ROOM.

A WHILE LATER THE MAN BEHIND THE DESK REALIZED THE ROOM WAS ONLY $25, SO HE SENT THE BELLBOY TO THE 3 GUYS' ROOM WITH $5.

ON THE WAY THE BELLBOY COULDN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO SPLIT $5 EVENLY BETWEEN 3 MEN, SO HE GAVE EACH MAN $1 AND KEPT THE OTHER $2 FOR HIMSELF.

THIS MEANT THAT THE 3 MEN EACH PAID $9 FOR THE ROOM, WHICH IS A TOTAL OF $27, ADD THE $2 THAT THE BELLBOY KEPT = $29.

WHERE IS THE OTHER DOLLAR?

You subtract the $2 from the $27 to get to the $25 price for the room.

Divide 25 by the 3 men and you actually get 8.33. 8.33 * 3 = 24.99. That means out of the $10 that each of them paid, .67 went to the bell boy (since he took the 2). 8.33+.67+1 = $10.

The extra dollar paid to the room in .33 cents from each man. ;)

The bellboy ripped them off by 67 cents a piece.

There is no missing dollar.....you can add a negative number!

You can't run the equation from two different sources, the register and the mens pockets.

30-5=25+3=28+2=30 balanced register

25+5=30-3(to men)-2(to bellboy)=25 balanced men

The men paid 27 for a 25 room = net 2

The wrong assumption is

30-3=27+2=29

That's my answer and I'm sticking to it :unsure:

I've got a better question.

How did it get to be 27$

paid 30$

redeemed 5$ = 30-25

each man got 1$ 1*3 = 3$

Each man ended up paying 10$ each and getting a refund of 1$ each and the bellboys scammed off with 2$ each.

So each man ended up paying 9$ each because with the 2$ the bellboy kept their tab came to 27$ 25+2=27.

27 + 3 = 30 ... all is well with the world.

=T

THis is almost as old as some people think I am.

$30 charged, SB $25.

Bell gives back $1 each, that means they paid $28 for the room, the bell boy keeps the $2 as a "Tip"

THey get screwed for $2 as a group. Forget the nickles and dimes. Watch the dollars here folks.

No missing money, you cannot switch directions inthe middle of the equation else it ceases to be an equation.

Jim

Two dollars?

I don't know about the $2 but I'm highly amused by the Better off Dead reference. I thought I was the only person left that remembered that movie. I might have to dust off the DVD... :)

So a guys got 28 vacuum cleaners to sell and 7 salesmen. If they all sell the same number of vacuum cleaners, how many does each salesman have to sell to sell all 28?

If you don't come up with the correct answer of 13 you don't know Abbot and Costello! :D

This age old riddle is a prime example of how accountants and statisticians use numbers to come up with whatever they want to show. Since each men received $3 back they only paid $27 ($25 went to the hotel and $2 went to the bell boy). There is no longer $30 in the mix - only $27. The riddle added the $2 from the bell boy in to add to the confusion. The $2 is already part of the $27. So the correct answer is that the $30 consist of $25 the hotel received, $2 the bell boy kept and $3 refunded to the 3 men.