Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G 35 Conversion?

1911vm

Good morning I am a bit ignorant as far as Glocks are concerned. The question, is it possible to convert G 35 to 9mm IE a different barrel and would I need 9 mm mags or could I use the .40s. The idea is to have one gun for me and my daughter that way I do not need to purchase one until she defiantly likes competing.

Good morning I am a bit ignorant as far as Glocks are concerned. The question, is it possible to convert G 35 to 9mm IE a different barrel and would I need 9 mm mags or could I use the .40s. The idea is to have one gun for me and my daughter that way I do not need to purchase one until she defiantly likes competing.

Yes you can put a 9mm barrel in a g35 to convert over to 9mm, but you will also need to change out the .40 cal ejector housing, to match the 9mm housing. As far as mags, yes you will need to change mags to a 9mm mags, the lips are narrower than the .40's. I believe thats all you would need.

I have not found a reason to change out the ejector housing. I have fired thousands of 9mm rounds through my G35 without any issues. All you will need are mags.

You can try it with the .40 ejector housing, since it doesn't cost anything to leave it in, but that is the lazy way to do it. If you want to do it right, spend the $8 and get the 9mm ejector housing,and install it. The angle of the ejector is angled in more to allow for better ejection of the smaller 9mm cartridge.

I've run several thousand rounds through G35 lower with a G34 upper. I've used the .40 mags for 9mm in practice and never had any problems but would not be confident with them in a match.

Keith

Dude, if she's that defiant, leave her alone. :mellow:

40 mags will feed 9mm; 9mm mags will feed 40 in a Glock. Don't ask me how I know this...

Bigger concern is getting extraction & ejection of a 9x19 case with a 40-size breechface. Frequent complaint from those conversion barrels is that the gun stops ejecting with about 1-2 rounds left in the mag.

Switching top ends is no problem with Glocks. Once you have an extra ejector housing, you don't have to swap out the whole thing. Just pull the rear pin, gently pull up the housing until the ejector will clear the frame, then tug it out with a pair of plyers & swap it with the other caliber's ejector.

Takes longer to type that then to do it.

There must be something really wrong with my two G35s. I have shot thousands of rounds of 9mm through them without any feed or extraction issues. One barrel is a Federal the other is a LWD. I keep "hearing" folks say that the ejector should be changed. Have you actually shot any 9mm through your G35/G22 and had extraction issues? No one that I know has any problems with the .40 ejector.

I'd think about buying a police trade in Glock in 9mm. $350-400

You can sell it for that, or close to, if things don't work out.

I agree with Flex except I was looking for a police trade-in G17 for less than $400 and I did not find any. Seems like law enforcement has switched to the G22 and the "bargain" G17s are drying up. I found several G22s but zero G17. I finally bought a G17 off a local shooter who wants to buy a G34.

(sorry for the slight thread drift)

There must be something really wrong with my two G35s. I have shot thousands of rounds of 9mm through them without any feed or extraction issues. One barrel is a Federal the other is a LWD. I keep "hearing" folks say that the ejector should be changed. Have you actually shot any 9mm through your G35/G22 and had extraction issues? No one that I know has any problems with the .40 ejector.

I've seen them not run, Joe. I never dug into them to see if it was problems with loads or springs or what...but, they didn't run like a Glock ought to.

Dude, if she's that defiant, leave her alone. :mellow:

I was trying to say Definitely, after 27 years I am still learning the language. :D

I hope I spelled it correctly this time. :wacko:

Once you have an extra ejector housing, you don't have to swap out the whole thing. Just pull the rear pin, gently pull up the housing until the ejector will clear the frame, then tug it out with a pair of plyers & swap it with the other caliber's ejector.

Or, alternately, you could just use your fingers. ;)

A 9mm rd. will not stay under the extractor on a 40 breachface. The tip may pull 9mm out & sometimes it may not, but it is not right. If glock did not want tension on the extractor for better extraction, they would not have built it in .

I've run my G35 with the 9mm conversion barrel for a while now. I've used it with the 9mm extractor and ejector, and with the .40 extractor and ejector. There is no difference in performance, it works very well with either.

The barrel is a Storm Lake "G35 conversion barrel", it's possible that the extractor/ejector swap out is necessary on other models. It is not with this barrel set up on my gun (actual results may vary).

<g>

HK Dan

Benny, there is something wrong with my G35s then. They eat 9mm flawlessly. Same thing with my 40 Kimber. The 9mm barrel works like a charm. Fired thousands of rounds of 9mm with a .40 breech face. All I change with the Kimber is the extractor. I don't change anything with the Glock.

Have you considered reloading? Then you could both shoot .40, not have to change anything on the gun and save money over buying ammunition.

9mm generic hardball is so godawfully inexpensive these days I don't believe you'd save any money over handloading .40. Wal-Mart value pack 9mm may be had for $100 per 1,000 rounds, give or take. That's twenty 50-round boxes for about $5 a box.

Been to Wal-mart lately ?

Nope.

You might be off by 30-40%.

Okay, so it's $6 or $7 per box. Most people are still going to go for that over the time and effort of reloading 9mm - even assuming they already own a reloading machine, and most new shooters don't.

If just about any of us included our time into the reloading cost equation then it would be a losing proposition. Let's see 500 rounds per hour on my 550. Labor cost $85 hr. plus bullets, powder and primers.

If just about any of us included our time into the reloading cost equation then it would be a losing proposition. Let's see 500 rounds per hour on my 550. Labor cost $85 hr. plus bullets, powder and primers.

Only $85/hr? My time is at least $375/hr. Damn, I'm shooting some real expensive bullets :(:D

Yeah, yeah, yeah. But how much an hour do you have to pay the kid to load? ;)

Right now, she's wanting to do it herself. Unfortunately she's only 5. I wish she will still have the same attitude when she gets older. Right now she says to me as I'm relaxing and trying to watch TV "Let's go make some bullets." She helps me by handing me the bullets (it slows me down, but what the heck) and then putting the finished ammo in the box after I check them.