Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SV gun and 140mm SV magazines

ej45

I am having a five inch SV wide body built by a gunsmith.  I had talked to him today and he said there was a lot of play between the frame and magazine when inserted and seated.  he saying that the mag does not always lock to slidelock,  and sometimes the mag inserts and hits the feed ramp.  the parts in the  mag are all  SV.  has any one had this problem?  Could the followers need fit to the mag?  thanks for any input, the smith is a single stack guy and this is his first SV/STI gun he built.

thanks ej45

You probably don't want the gun to lock back on an empty mag, but if you do the slide stop and each magazine will have to be tuned.

Depending on the barrel brand and how it was installed it is possible for the feed ramp to contact the magazines.  At this point you will have to remove material from the barrel ramp or the magazines or both.

The barrel is a AET barrel, yes i would like the slide to lock back because of IDPA rules.  Is this tuning the mags something i can do (fitting the follower).   I have yet to see a gunsmith that was born a SV/STI master, I just thought that every one had to learn this art.

thanks ej45

I worked developmentally with the latest SVI competition followers, and concluded that it was difficult if not impossible to get them to reliably lock back, without locking back with a round or two left in the mag. And the "lock back factor" has nothing to do with play between the mag body and frame. It's just that the follower itself is (physically) too small (by the time it gets to the slide stop) to reliably operate the slide stop. That's the price you pay for the trickest stuff. Nevertheless, I may be clueless - does SVI offer a stock-type or standard capacity follower?

If the gun is being assembled from parts, it's possible the feedramp may need slightly fitted to that particular frame.

be

Yes, the gun is legal for IDPA (it meets all requirments of a stockpistol from sti or sv) but the magazines are not, i plan on a purchace of std. 10 rd mags.  My 140mm mags do have the standard follower installed and not the compitition follower.

thanks ej45

TheothereEric:

Yep that NASCAR Tbird must be the same as the one I bought from Ford off the show room. Anyone that can work on this one should be able to be in the pits!!....... well there is a world of diference between STI/SVI and single stack guns. Don't take my word for it ask Benny Hill or Dave Dawson they might be able to clue ya in.   KURT

Kurt...I dont think your analogy is quite right. Being a mechanic I perform repairs on Tbirds like yours all day long. I could pull an engine on your car just as easy as I could on a nascar if given the opprotunity.   The fundamentals are the same.  The same as a 1911 or 2011.  The major parts on my Kimber are the same as on my STI, just diffrent a"chassis"  Some one that builds a quality 1911 ought to be able to build a 2011. Now the real question is trust.  A NASCAR crew cheif wouldent trust me with one of his cars because i dont have experience on a NASCAR buit i certainly have the fundamentals to work on one.   Ej45 obviously trusts whoever is building his gun and im sure it will be fine when its done.  His magazine problem is really minisquel and can be worked out with a little tuning. Heck, my STI built by STI, used to lock back with one round left in the mag until I fixed it. They are suposed to be "the pros".

The gun i am building is a SV slide with breech faces that you can change.  So I running a 9mm bushing barrel for ESP class and a 45acp barrel for the CDP class.

I will also have a 40 barrel fit later for IPSC Limited.

As for the quality of the gun smith in question, I asked him to build this gun because i saw his work on 1911s Spook guns like ASPs. with thread barrels (class 3) and High Powers with beavers that you could bet your life on.  Half the gun smiths out there could not mill the sight for an ASP.    Race gun builders are talented at what they do. But that does not mean other smiths are journeyman.  Like example Novak Baer Wilson Robar and Brown, I guess they could not build a STI??

Ej45

• 3 months later...

hi guys,

dont know if this will fit in this thread. I would like to ask if one can use sv followers for sti mags. have 3 mags, 2 sti and 1` sv on my sv frame. all are doing

great but I want to replace the sti follower since I would like to put 16 rounds on the mag. It already has a plus 1 baseplate but still fits 15 rounds.

Jason,

SV followers will fit into an STI magazine with no problems and provide extra capacity. STI followers WILL NOT fit into an SV magazine without modifications. The indentions in the side of SV magazines are much deeper and the STI follower needs to have more plastic removed to travel to the top of an SV magazine.

Leo

Jason,

I've always used SV followers in my mags wether they were SPS, SV or STI.

They just need some little tuning to perfectly fit the tubes.

They works great and truly help feeding once properly installed.

Are your mags IPSC box rule setup ?

If so, you can achieve 18 rds capacity with some pads and an SV follower, there is a thread about this somewhere in the forum, I think this is here :

http://64.62.172.100/~brianeno/index.php?a...t=ST&f=3&t=5105

:D thanks for all the responses

The funny thing is that I can only fit 16 rounds maximum since if I use the longer tubes, ill be out of the standards and bumped into open.

I use the "duty mags" in 40 caliber. YOu guys got 18 in??? Wow