Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Triggerfreeze

fredwild

Hi!

Sometimes when I try to speed up to shoot an easy stage really fast I tense up and start to get triggerfreezes. So instead of having .15-.20 splits I get .40-.70 splits or even jerk the trigger. :o

Does anyone know of some training technique to remove the problem? Or is there some other solution?

I try to relax and not strangle my gun to death while shooting...

Thanx.

I tend to get trigger freeze when I put the onus on my shooting to try and go fast. Notably on up close hoser targets.

When I relax, and just shoot when I see the sights, life is good. When I try to physically decide to "let's go fast on this array", I have problems.

Best thing I can recommend is to just relax and let the sights dictate your pace, and not a conscious desire on your part to go fast.

Relax. Follow your front sight. That's all there is to it.

Banish conscious desire to "go fast" or you'll continue to not relax and not follow your front sight.... ;)

Relax. Follow your front sight. That's all there is to it.

+1

Use your eyes to tell your finger when to pull the trigger.

+2

Ain't no harder than that.

As an added bonus, repeat this mantra "SPLIT'S DON'T WIN MATCHES IT'S EVERYTHING ELSE"

When you "try" to speed up and go fast you tend to get tense and tighten your grip on the pistol. You can not move you trigger finger fast unless you relax you strong hand to allow the trigger finger to work independant of the rest of hand.

When you are trying to shoot really fast spilts you need to concentrate on keeping your good shooting platform solid and your grip pressure 60%/40% if not 70/30. The support hands grips more than the trigger hand.

Having said this.....Only shoot as fast as you can get accurate called hits. Very few shooters do hammers (1 sight picture=2 trigger presses) Follow the sights and they will tell you how fast to shoot.

I hope this helps, if you need any more info, just ask.

Ktyler

I learned alot of this from Matt B. when I took his class last year. Yet I still over grip with my strong hand. Really bad, to the point that I have agrivated an old tennis elbow injury.

I was also reminded that I had the same problem when I rode dirtbikes, you had to peel my hands off the bars when we were done, became a campfire joke.

I guess I need some "gelling" on my grip..

Release the trigger a little farther forward on fast & close stuff.

Seen some shotgun training in the military [and cops too, in matches] where several times, the #1 fastest guy with a pump-action shotgun will just barely short-stroke the gun when he's trying to show off. Causes a nasty malfunction, worse than trigger freeze. I think they just "tried to go fast" and their body thought of a short-cut that turned out ugly.

I've been slapping the trigger like Todd & TGO for a while now but recently saw that coming all the way out till my finger hits the triggerguard is a bit much. Found that wasn't the way to go as a transitional [target-to-target] technique, so now I just release until my finger barely leaves the face of the trigger.

Since I have a lot of take-up in my STI trigger, this is far enough. No trigger freeze, short splits, not much jiggle of the red dot on the target either.

I've been slapping the trigger like Todd & TGO for a while now but recently saw that coming all the way out till my finger hits the triggerguard is a bit much. Found that wasn't the way to go as a transitional [target-to-target] technique, so now I just release until my finger barely leaves the face of the trigger.

+1

Todd says this is the technique to use on close targets and that you should learn to "slap" and know your effective distance with that method. This is just like learning to shoot prone or shoot strong/weak hand.

When you find the cure, let me know.

All the tips and advice already given are right on.

But be careful - don't think of "finding a cure." I saw this because the nature of IPSC-style shooting induces rushing. Every time you shoot.

So once you find a way to not rush, take your time, see your sights, let what you see dictate your pace, or whichever method works best for you, then your job becomes summoning the determination to actually do it - every time - at "Shooter Ready, Stand By, Beep."

In 20+ years of competition, my tendency was always to rush.

be

I discovered the same problem when going back to the 1911 after a couple thousand rounds through a revolver, trying to get back on the trigger too fast and not really releasing it. I'm hoping that a few practice sessions will iron out the problems between guns as I am going to take both guns to a match and let courses of fire determine which gun to shoot.

• 2 weeks later...

bill drills

What's that?

<_< just in case your not jokeing= a Bill Drill is 6 shots/hits on a close target as fast as you can make the (hits) some just go as fast as they would like to be able to hit.

Draw put six hits in the A zone any thing at and under 2 seconds is good for A and above.

Oh I used to thing it was just wasting amoe :blink:

Edited by AlamoShooter

bill drills

What's that?

<_< just in case your not jokeing= a Bill Drill is 6 shots/hits on a close target as fast as you can make the (hits) some just go as fast as they would like to be able to hit.

Draw put six hits in the A zone any thing at and under 2 seconds is good for A and above.

Count those shots out loud at first and then just in your head. It WILL make a difference.

I get my Rookies to do Bill drills and make them count it out rather than slapping the trigger and try to only fire 6 shots. They get a rhythm and get faster while only firing 6 shots. I even developed into counting while firing stages too.

Just before the RO says L&MR I tell myself: GO SLOW-GO SLOW! To get passed that urgency to go fast and stay in the "zone". Of course when the timer goes off you do what you've been practicing and hopefully do it right.