Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Millett Dms-1..... True 1-4 Scope For 3-gun?

sfinney

Ok, did a quick search and did not find anything here..... any comments on this Millett DMS-1 scope for an AR in 3-gun rifle? Ill. Donut w/ a dot? True 1 -4 power, really?

"DESIGNATED MARKSMAN SCOPE

DMS-1 is a concept that is long overdue. This compact, fast CQB to mid range scope takes the best of scope-type optics and red dot reflex sights and puts it all together. A ³dot in a donut² is the best way to describe the DMS reticle. At close ranges, just put the donut on the target and pull the trigger. At longer ranges, you have the 1MOA dot in the center of the donut to give you superior accuracy. As all the measurements are standard MOA, you can use the reticle for range finding and hold over. True 1X for both eyes open for close and quick sighting, and 4X for accuracy at the longer ranges. Works equally well on tactical weapons or big game rifles. Great for hunting dangerous game as you have the ability to make that quick shot and hit your target while the pressure is on. Fully multi-coated lenses and rugged one-piece tube. Try the DMS and you will see the advantage.

DMS-1

PART NO. RETAIL DESCRIPTION

BK81002 $359.00 1-4 x 24 DMS, MULTI COAT NEW "

http://www.millettsights.com/index.php/catalog_2007/tactical

A few quick seacrhes finds this scope in the $275 price range online...

Any feedback, actual use experience on these things?

Thanks!

post-1837-1173745673.jpg

Edited by sfinney

The local AR gunsmith here in Middle GA has one of those scopes that he brought back from the SHOT show - I saw it at a local Tactical Rifle match - I was very impressed. He is trying to get some more of the scopes but has not been able to get one. If I found one for $275 - I would buy it for my 3 Gun AR.

What is the FOV at 100 yards on this puppy? :huh:

Couldn't find any info on the website so I just emailed them; if no one else posts the specs I'll do it as soon as I get a response.

I did the same yesterday to Millett, so far no response.

Evidently they are not very avail, the one guy I found online who listed them with a price just emailed back "out of stock".

Edited by sfinney

I recieved a reply from Millett.

"I will not be able to give you an answer until my scope tech returns from Europe

next week. Sorry for the delay."

Hmmm. You'd think they had a spec sheet laying around somewhere. Not encouraging. <_<

Edited by sfinney

Hmmm. You'd think they had a spec sheet laying around somewhere. Not encouraging. <_<

Agreed, odd and not confidence inspiring in the least.

[slight Drift}

Found this over at AR15.com; seems there's more than one lower priced scope trying to make it's mark. Again, no FOV info but there's a fair amount of other info listed. Supposedly going to have 500 of them available in June at an intro price of $350; regular price after that is going to be $450. This is the site for the person doing it but know info listed on the site yet. http://www.grsc.com/

http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&...5758&page=1

[slight Drift}

Found this over at AR15.com; seems there's more than one lower priced scope trying to make it's mark. Again, no FOV info but there's a fair amount of other info listed. Supposedly going to have 500 of them available in June at an intro price of $350; regular price after that is going to be $450. This is the site for the person doing it but know info listed on the site yet. http://www.grsc.com/

http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&...5758&page=1

I just hope that they have not gotten a $50 Chinese scope, changed the reticle, and intend to sell it for $350. I have followed a few of the other "bargain" CQB scopes and that seems to be the trend.

I just hope that they have not gotten a $50 Chinese scope, changed the reticle, and intend to sell it for $350. I have followed a few of the other "bargain" CQB scopes and that seems to be the trend.

Supposedly not, the info in the ARFcom thread says that the guy designed the scope from the ground up himself and tried to shop it to some US manufactures who turned him down. He then decided to do it himself but the only way he could afford to produce it himself was to go through a Chinese optic company.

Disclaimer: I don't know anyone involved in this project, I'm just restating what I read about it not promoting it. I'd just be happy is I could pick up a decent quality illuminated true 1x variable scope for less than I paid for my AR (I know in most cases you get what you pay for).

Back on the topic of Millett, I got the same response back that the only person who tell us the FOV info is in Europe until next week. :ph34r:

Edited by j2fast

I had ordered one off Henry (vendor in GA) after talking to him after the shot show. Just recieved mine this week. Just in time for our Club 3-gun yesterday. It sure does appear to be a 1x and the dot in the donut is a 1 min. The lumination is not very bright and really can not be seen in half sun. I have to tell you after shooting yesterday I love it.I use to shoot a simmons pro. Farest shots yesterday were 125y (to keep the pace faster for the match) so I need to see how it does at 250 and farther. The donut is great for close up shots that can be taken faster.at 125yrds I had no problem taking down 6" steel (except my breathing, got to remember to breath). I think it is a great scope and would be perfect if the lumination was there but you don't need it. Good clarity, good field of view, fast scope close up and at longer distances the 1min dot is great.

Henry did say that Millett had such an overwelming response for the shot shot that they are running behind filing orders.

Khan

"DESIGNATED MARKSMAN SCOPE

DMS-1 is a concept that is long overdue. This compact, fast CQB to mid range scope takes the best of scope-type optics and red dot reflex sights and puts it all together. A ³dot in a donut² is the best way to describe the DMS reticle. At close ranges, just put the donut on the target and pull the trigger. At longer ranges, you have the 1MOA dot in the center of the donut to give you superior accuracy. As all the measurements are standard MOA, you can use the reticle for range finding and hold over. True 1X for both eyes open for close and quick sighting, and 4X for accuracy at the longer ranges. Works equally well on tactical weapons or big game rifles. Great for hunting dangerous game as you have the ability to make that quick shot and hit your target while the pressure is on. Fully multi-coated lenses and rugged one-piece tube. Try the DMS and you will see the advantage.

Got a reply from Millett on field of view....

"Well, they're back, but Steve tells me that the second generation DMS-1 will be different, much better,as we keep upgrading our scopes, but the <current scope's> one power has approximately 55 ft of view at 100 yds. The high power <four> has a FOV of 31ft.

I hope this answers your questions. The manual for the DMS-1 will be on the website, as soon as the info is completed."

Edited by sfinney

Ok, I had a bad experience with Impact a couple years ago trying to order a C-more..... but I thought I'd give them a shot - thier website stated the DMS was "In Stock, ships in 24-48 hours". I called to verify it was in stock, and they said yes. I ordered the scope online 3/13. They billed me and shipped 3/15. It arrived today 3/20. $219.99 + 15 shipping, $234.99

Scope looks nice, pretty sturdy. Reticle description is a little deceiving in that the pic leads you to believe the circle is larger, like almost Holosight sized. Its not. Its as small fine circle in the very center of the glass, with a 1 moa dot in the middle. It lights up nice inside, outside in glare it washes out 95%..... basically turns back into black reticle. Its only the circle an dot that are lit.

Pretty clear for a $200 scope, but its not a Nightforce (or even an IOR). Subjective: probably about like a nicer tasco or low end nikon?

Power seems true 1 x, Power ring rotates pretty easy.

I'll stick it on my AR and shoot it this week if it doesn't rain.

• 1 month later...
I'll stick it on my AR and shoot it this week if it doesn't rain.

Well.. you must have had some dry weather by now...

I see that Midway finally has a few in stock (4 to be exact). I also know (from reading Optics Talk at swfa.com) that Millet has made some changes to the scope but I'm not sure exactly what.

Any more thoughts on whether it is a good or bad thang?? Any recticle pictures??

The reticle is very small, it does not look like a big Holosight image when you look through it, its more like a small peep sight hole with a tiny dot in the middle of it. Seems like nice glass, built well. Another forum member has mine now, maybe he will post a review.

This is a response I got from steve at millett regarding the dms, ive got one on order but they seem to be selling rather quickly.

-quoted-

HI

The DMS has low profile turrets under the caps, for windage and elevation.

the FOV is 23' at 4X and 97 at 1X at 100.

Illumination is visible in daylight under most conditions.

We are currently sold out of the DMS scopes and on back order. If you would like one I suggest you order now and in less than a month you will receive one. The demand is greater than we expected.

Thanks

Steve