Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Many Rounds

DEADEYE

Well, you'll never go wrong taking extra ammo. Most 6 stage matches have a minimum round count of 125-150. There are some occasions that you may need to reshoot a stage and your brother does have a point (but try to not spray your rounds, accuracy is a good habit to get into).

Thanks for the help my pistol shooting prowess is scetchy at best now put rifle in my hand and look out. I get the take it slow and shoot A's but well my only expectation is to shoot safe and do my best with what i have.

You shouldn't be spraying them around in any match.

Most of our matches here in the NW Section have 6 to 7 stages and require typically around 150 rounds to complete..but throw in one (or two) reshoots on a large stage...and you'll wish you came to the match with at least 250.

You shouldn't be spraying them around in any match.

Most of our matches here in the NW Section have 6 to 7 stages and require typically around 150 rounds to complete..but throw in one (or two) reshoots on a large stage...and you'll wish you came to the match with at least 250.

Poor word choice but I'm sure i will miss plenty looks like a big target but I'm sure with adrenaline etc it gets pretty small.

Last weekend I shot a match that required 139 shots over 5 stages. One reshoot when the timer failed to record the shots, one reshoot when a newbie got carried away taping targets, and one reshoot when our entire (but fortuneately small) squad just plain shot the stage incorrectly.

When I got home I only had 8 rounds left. In the future I will take the round count plus 100% just to be safe.

If it's a club match, the locals can tell you how many rounds they typically shoot. For a major match, the stages will be available for review in advance, giving you the round count.

I hear that most stages in most parts of the US are 20 rounds or less. Here on the west coast the counts per stage tend to run higher. Stages of 30 rounds or more (using the Level I match exemption from the recommended limits) are common.

Most folks I know bring 150 to 200% of the minimum round count for the match.

If you simply can't find out in advance, bring at least 200 rounds, 250 to 300 would be better for a big match.

(spelling edit)

kevin c

Edited by kevin c

Ok dumb ? how many round do i take to my 1st match 150, 200, 250 or ????. My brother says 250 rounds he says youll spray them all over he#@%%$#@ the 1st match or too>

Dumb is not asking questions.....smart Is asking.

I put you in the smart category :D

Jim

Normally I bring 300 rounds to a 140 round local match.

You never know what could happen, or someone may not have enough ammo and need a loan.

I was at an outlaw match one time and had 7 reshoots on a single stage. Each attempt used up 14 rounds.

Now I've got enough mags to load up 317 rounds in 16 mags, but that might be a little overkill in a 5 stage match ;) I normally leave 100 rounds in the vehicle.

I think it's a good question. Running out of ammo is not a good way to get started in the sport.

Edited by JFD

Ok dumb ? how many round do i take to my 1st match 150, 200, 250 or ????. My brother says 250 rounds he says youll spray them all over he#@%%$#@ the 1st match or too>

I shoot 3 stage fun matches every week. I normally show up with 200 rounds, but have not yet needed more than 100. On the other hand, I've seen people go home who failed to bring enough. I'll keep on carrying extra.

The more stanges in the match, the more ammunition I'd bring. I reload and all my ammo boxes hold 100 rounds. If 100 isn't enough, and it isn't, I'll take 200 or 300 or . . .

Lee

My first match, first or second stage I ever shot had a Texas Star at 15-20 yards (okay maybe it was only 10-15 yards but everything looked farther away back then) luckily I had bought a case (1000 rounds) of ammo and it was in the trunk of the car. If I had owned more magazines at the time I might have used a lot of it.

My current practice is buy case of WWB at Wal-Mart (bitch about price going up again) shoot until 300 rounds left and repeat, seems to work well. I never run out.

I generally take at least double the amount I expect to shoot (or more). My truck can haul all the ammo I want and it never complains.

The last thing you want going through your mind when you step up to shoot is worrying if you have enough ammo to finish the match. Its bad to worry about that on the last stage, really bad if you're worrying about it on the second to last stage.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen guys have to go home because thay did not bring enough amo. I think asking shooters who attend the match regularly how many rounds they shoot and then adjusting the amount to match your shooting ability is the best idea.

Good luck and have fun.

I always roll out with about 500 rnds in the car. If I get a chance to practice after a match I take it. I also always try and keep a box of WWB handy in case I have some wierd ammo problem.