Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"generic" 1911's

thejoe

I've been looking at a new pistol for a while now (as you might have read before... sorry for the plethora of posts) but now I'm thinking a 1911 style may be right for me. I've looked at Springfield's GI which is a bare-bones version that I can upgrade at my leisure. The price tag is a little steep, but do-able. I've noted the Rock Island 1911 for a lot less and I'm wondering if it would be any good for me to get. I also just looked into the Taurus PT 1911 and it looks really nice for the same price as the Springfield GI. I have read over and over that STI makes the best competition pistols and there are a lot of guys out there who make nice custom 1911's but I simply can't afford anything really nice. I have to start small here. Do you guys think I'm on the right track with the Springfield, Rock Island, or Taurus? I guess the question is will I be able to make the gun I really want out of one of these?

joe

Ok....

STI Spartan, Chuck D and Rock Island are all the SAME GUN (STI is the same frame!) They are made by ArmsCore in the Philipines... Excelent weapons. I have a RIA 1911 5" Govt. Very nice and more accurate than I am... They recently came out with their "Tactical" model. Its a Gov't model, with a Beaver tail and better sights. All the Cust Service is provided by a Gentleman named Ivan. He lurks on the boards (here I think, but over at 1911 forums he's known as "BlackDragon") He is based out of Vegas and is happy to answer E-mails, Posts, and Phone Calls. They are notorious for their excellent Customer service.

The only down side, are the frames are Cast, not forged, and they do use MIM parts... Not that big of a deal for me. Considering the price, it shouldnt bother anyone...

JMHO

Billy

Oh, and if you do get a RIA, feel free to join the RIA Love society over on 1911forums....

Edited by devildogmech

I've looked at the Spartan. MSRP is $660. I can find a Rock Island 1911 for around $400 (generally less). The Taurus PT 1911 is around $500 new, as is the Springfield GI. Since the Taurus and Springfield GI are $160 less than the Spartan I'm inclined more to look at them (in other words the $160 makes the difference between getting a 1911 and something else). So, should I still look at the Rock Island 1911 and the others or should I just hold out another 6 mos. to a year and get the Spartan? I'm torn because I want to shoot but don't want to regret my purchase.

joe

Since the Taurus and Springfield GI are $160 less than the Spartan I'm inclined more to look at them (in other words the $160 makes the difference between getting a 1911 and something else)....

joe

IMO, get what you want, and start shooting immediately, but if you don't reload, are you prepared for the cost of .45acp? A local match can easily eat up $50 of ammo. If you're at all serious, and start practicing...the costs of ammuntion kinda make a hundred dollar difference here-or-there between pistols trivial.

I will be getting a reloading setup as a gift relatively shortly (so I'm not forking out $$ that I could spend on the gun/ammo). I understand what you're saying, though. And I don't want to sound too much like a moron about the whole thing, but I am what I am. ;)

No, seriously... The biggest problem with acquiring a Spartan is that I have no idea where to get one. The local dealers don't carry them and I don't know anyone with an FFL through which I can order one. But the Springfield and Rock Islands are plentiful.

FWIW

joe

Jim: how interchangeable are parts between the PT1911 and other manufacturers? Specifically, I know the PT1911 uses the 8 shot mag. Will it take the more plentiful 7 shot mags that I find every-freakin'-where?

Edited by thejoe

Joe any FFL holder can send his FFL (or fax) to STI .

Then they can order any thing you want :D

Jim

Haven't had a lot of luck with my local dealers... They aren't really keen on ordering what I want. I've asked. :)

joe

Ask around.

Try here too. http://www.gunbroker.com/User/DealerNetwork.asp

Just punch in your state or zip code and some dealers should come up.

Any local dealer should handle a transfer for you. You might have to handle the sale through Dawson or a similar STI dealer and your local guy just takes care of the paperwork. I haven't handled the Spartan, but everyone that has says get one. The Rock Island Tactical would be next on my list. I don't see ever owning the Taurus. I went to look at one with intentions on buying it, but it just didn't seem right for some reason.

First, I'm a huge fan of the STI Spartan. It's received great reviews from folks I trust (Merlin) and its STI (see a HUGE sponsor of the shooting sports). So for an extra couple of coins, I'd still have it on the list.

The Springfield GI and RIA are ones I'm kinda lookin' at. The SA, well 'cause they are a match sponsor as well and it's an excuse to build a 9mm single stack. The RIA 'cause Ivan is just an awesome guy here on the boards and again an excuse to build a .40 single stack.

The Taurus is nice, but since they don't really support us, I would rather spend my money with those that do.

Food for thought.

Rich

anyone got any more info on the RIA tactical..that sounds interesting..I PMed Ivan..but yet to hear from him..

also got a DW Pointman on my list... a little more money, on par with the SA loaded and the STI Trojan...but has the parts on it I like..most the Ed Brown safeties..

One other option is a basic 16-40 para. They are not the quality of an STI but the price reflects that and they are a good entry level gun in the price range of the others you have looked at. The para would allow you to shoot Limited or L-10 because it has high cap magazines (16 or 20 with base pads). Where as the other guns you are looking at would put you in Single stack or L-10. Another thing is para and the Taraus come in .40. I guess you must decide which division you want to shoot. Check out Dawson Precision web site and give them a call for a quick "how to" for ordering a gun online. Some places also offer payment plans if you want to go that route.

anyone got any more info on the RIA tactical..that sounds interesting..I PMed Ivan..but yet to hear from him..

Give him a day or 2 sometimes. There are a few threads on the 1911 forum on the Tactical. There is also a whole Rock Island catagory.

I've looked at the Spartan. MSRP is $660. I can find a Rock Island 1911 for around $400 (generally less). The Taurus PT 1911 is around $500 new, as is the Springfield GI. Since the Taurus and Springfield GI are $160 less than the Spartan I'm inclined more to look at them (in other words the $160 makes the difference between getting a 1911 and something else). So, should I still look at the Rock Island 1911 and the others or should I just hold out another 6 mos. to a year and get the Spartan? I'm torn because I want to shoot but don't want to regret my purchase.

joe

Do some research before you make a final decision. While the guns you mention are cheaper to buy, they also lack some of the refinements of the more expensive guns, things you'll have to pay a good gunsmith to do on a custom basis, that you could have bought already done in the production line. What you want to end up with has a lot to do with where you should start.

Lee

joe

Do some research before you make a final decision. While the guns you mention are cheaper to buy, they also lack some of the refinements of the more expensive guns, things you'll have to pay a good gunsmith to do on a custom basis, that you could have bought already done in the production line. What you want to end up with has a lot to do with where you should start.

Lee

What Lee says...+1 :)

1911 magazines are fully interchangable. 7 shot, 8 shot, 10 shot, whatever. as long as its for a single stack 1911, it will fit. just make sure its for a full size frame such as the Government model or Commander model. the magazine for the shorter frame guns, like the Officer's model, are too short to fit in the full size frame.

Lee

I cannot agree with this more.

Humane LEO friend has a 1911 from one of the 'less expensive' manufacturers mentioned earlier in this thread. Gun looks great on the outside.

The slide stop backed out of it while doing slow fire drills on the range a few months ago (I stood next to her and watched it happen)! Fortunately, no catastropic injuries resulted.

Took gun to local 1911 smith who does good work - he thought it would be a straight-forward repair/upgrade. ~$400 in higher-end parts later, we find that NOTHING on this gun is 'standard'. Inside parts are very roughly done, nothing smoothed; it looks like it was made from a scrap parts bin because nothing 'matches'.

And now we know that none of the replacement parts fit without a huge amount of hand work (some to the parts, mostly to the frame of this firearm). Nothing 'lines up' like it might on a slightly more expensive piece.

Hindsight: should have scrapped this one and put the same $$ towards a new(er), more standardized, and admittedly more expensive piece. Current truth: now that there's this much time and $$ into this one, it's really 'custom' and the smith believes that it should work OK for the forseeable future.

Moral of the story: before buying a 'bargain' piece, talk with the local smiths or whoever you'd take this gun to when/if it fails to work. See what their experience has been with that specific brand. See if they can get parts. Ask what they'd tell you if you walked in with something broken ....

You may consider getting a slightly used, but still reliable 'brand name' 1911 for about the same price as one of the cheaper ones cost new. Check the resources previously listed, see the classifieds here on the Forum; if the local resources aren't responsive to your needs, broaden the search horizon a bit.

If you want specific details of the incident I describe above, please PM me -- I won't go into any further detail on the public forum.