Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6 In. Fat Free Options

ken hebert

This may be a silly question... like if you have to ask, you can't afford it... but what does one of these run and what do you get for your money?

Chris

Chris, Benny prices are more than competive, in fact for what most custom smiths charge for a pretty plain 5in limited gun you can have a very nice fat free. Call him, Triangle Shooting Sports, 361-241-1091.------Larry

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mick, your gun is a 5in Version of Alexs 6in. You are both out of date and need new guns.-------Larry

Ken, Alexs gun is older bull barrel gun. The newer guns are bushing barreled and the tunnel will extend all the way to the muzzle, but will have a lighting cut in the tunnel. Will be a nice one. Bet on it.------Larry

IMG_0048.JPG

HECK NO!

Why would I take a gun I know is reliable and shoots well for me and scrap it for something newer and prettier???!!!

I'll keep it for as long as I can and then maybe rebuild it to whatever is the current rage but I think I'll stay with a bull barrel in the 5"..

I like my gun.....

Mick, that makes you the WINNER. And I know why you say that, I sold a Benny gun recently( they run so good who needs a back up) and I started second quessing that as soon as the brown truck left. But niether one of them has ever failed.---------Larry

You can't beat Benny's service and quality anywhere. I have pistols, rifles and shotguns from some of the top 'smiths in the world and by two TSS blasters are on par (if not better in many ways) than all of them.

You can't go wrong with anything from Benny and its why I'm considering a new Open gun from him.

Rich

Look at post # 27.

1. A 6" Limited gun with lightened slide and components.

2. A speciality gun built by Benny Hill of Triangle Shooting Sports. Often imitated but NEVER equaled although new pretenders pop up every day.

3. A Limited class gun used by top USPSA and 3 gun shooters throughout the USA and points abroad.

:);)

They use the 'Box'.

From IPSC rulebook, Appendix D2:

A handgun in its ready condition (See Section 8.1), but unloaded and with an empty magazine inserted or empty

cylinder closed, must fit wholly within the confines of a box which has internal dimensions of 225mm(8.86 in) x 150mm(5.9 in)

x 45mm(1.77 in) (tolerance of +1 mm, -0 mm).

Last time i checked, it did not fit.

2. A speciality gun built by Benny Hill of Triangle Shooting Sports. Often imitated but NEVER equaled although new pretenders pop up every day.

:);)

I'd bet that Dave Williams and Rob Leatham would take exception to that statement. And, they (read: Rob) have the titles to proove it. ;)

(Now, before I get mugged, I am not saying that Benny's guns haven't won matches and aren't great guns - we know they have and they are. I am saying, however, that there is at least one other very talented gunsmith who's made lightened 6" guns that win championships.)

Well now...Actually Dave. Robbie was shooting a 52oz gun when he handled and shot Benny's Fat Free at Superstition Mountain 3 gun match around 5 or so years ago. It was shortly after this that his gun was put on the diet...And..he has continued to do well with that combo.... :)

Edit to add...It is not the gun that makes Robbie who he is....

Edited by Merlin Orr

Just don't expect a price quote for a gun "just like Rob's" because I asked.

SA quoted me a price for a 5" gun & once I opened my eyes, got off the floor & checked my pulse, decided I would maybe wait or go in a different direction.

Here are examples [not like I collect photos of these...] starting with new Benny, then older Benny, then other gunsmiths including a few NICE home-made jobs.

post-354-1171402826.jpg

post-354-1171402839.jpg

post-354-1171402911.jpg

post-354-1171403037.jpg

post-354-1171403082.jpg

post-354-1171403122.jpg

post-354-1171403155.jpg

post-354-1171403182.jpg

post-354-1171403342.jpg

post-354-1171403319.jpg

post-354-1171403378.jpg

post-354-1171403412.jpg

post-354-1171403455.jpg

Edited by eric nielsen

Have any of you guys had Benny fat free your Para Ordnance? The 2 year old running around here prevents me from just ordering a complete gun at this time.

Thanks

I dont recall him ever building a fat free Para, but that dosent mean he couldnt. He has built some really nice 5in Paras. Give him a call.---------Larry

Well come on Merlin, what does Benny say about a fat free Para? Even though I just ordered a real fat free, my current Para treats me so well I just gotta know.

Ken

Call him and ask him... :P Actually I can't recall him ever uttering the word..."Para." :lol:

Edit to add...PLEASE note the smileys... Paras are good guns.

Edited by Merlin Orr

Hell no I'm not gonna call, and none of you should either. Every time someone calls it just puts him that much further from finishing all the guns that are in front of mine, and therefore delaying me the unsurpassed joy of seeing a FedEx box from Corpus at my gun shop.

Next time you're over there doing whatever it is that you do to assist him (BTW, do more so he can get my gun out faster!) just see what the man has to say about it.

Edited by ken hebert

Ken, I don't know of anyone in the business with a reputation anywhere close to what Benny has that is as fast at delivering as Benny is, but the next three months or so are going to be torture anyway. It was all I could do to keep my calls for updates down to every 10 days to 2 weeks, and he treated me like a king through all of it. If nothing else he is one hell of a nice guy and treats his customers they way they ought to be treated,

That is enough nice stuff about him now, who can be at his shop to make sure he isn't helping the riff-raff (like me) out with the mundane when a man needs a new blaster? Ya think we can talk Merlin into cracking the whip on Benny?

Benny and I went across to the river where we test fire today, weather was pretty nice for a change, got to talking about going fishing.-------Larry

Yeah..this would be a good time for it. Maybe you ought to make a week or two out of it...you know...do it right. :D