Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can You Limit The Number Of Rifle Rounds In A Multi Stage?

I thought it might be interesting to design a multi stage that put a cap on the number of rifle rounds....say 20, and then present you with more than 20 rounds worth of targets. The idea being that you would be forced to prioritize which targets you were going to engage with the rifle (and not miss any), then, when the rifle is dry, finish off the stage with a pistol or SG slugs at ranges beyond that which we normally employ them. Ideally it would be set up so you could run up if you wanted, or, if you're confident in your SG or pistol at range just go from a distance. Is there room in the multi rules for capping the rifle rounds?

• 5 months later...

From what I've seen the IMGA rules are about as flexible as a eastern european gymnast.

We shot a club 3-gun with 10 round mags one day. It was to force reloads. It was kind of eye opening. We practice reloading a pistola all the time, shotgun is pretty much a reloading contest, but rifle? How often do you practice reloading your rifle?

Just my $0.025

That does sound like a fun stage, I believe I saw M. voigt and J. miculek, shoot a stage in which they determined which gun would be used for which targets. Mike chose handgun for speed and Jerry chose rifle for accuracy. Jerry, won.

It was a large match, it was televised.

Trapr

That does sound like a fun stage, I believe I saw M. voigt and J. miculek, shoot a stage in which they determined which gun would be used for which targets. Mike chose handgun for speed and Jerry chose rifle for accuracy. Jerry, won.

It was a large match, it was televised.

Trapr

vegas 3 gun a few years back..

I thought it might be interesting to design a multi stage that put a cap on the number of rifle rounds....say 20, and then present you with more than 20 rounds worth of targets. The idea being that you would be forced to prioritize which targets you were going to engage with the rifle (and not miss any), then, when the rifle is dry, finish off the stage with a pistol or SG slugs at ranges beyond that which we normally employ them. Ideally it would be set up so you could run up if you wanted, or, if you're confident in your SG or pistol at range just go from a distance. Is there room in the multi rules for capping the rifle rounds?

Several stages at the last SWAT match were like this. You could only shoot as many rounds as your SG could hold then had to finish off everything else with a handgun.

• 2 weeks later...
The more freestyle the stages are, the better!

Ohhh, it'll be nothing but freestyle.......all 3 guns, the only thing is the rifle is limited to 20 rounds (or they woulda had to put out a gazillion targets). One of those, ya gotta see it to love it or hate it things.

• 2 months later...

I know that this subject is a little dated, but we had a local match a few weeks ago and they had a really fun big stage, tons of targets everywhere and it actually took three bays to run. You started with a few pistol shots, holstered the pistol and took off over the berm. You only had one 30 rd mag in the gun, but there were more targets than that. The scoring system they were using was the 1 shot in the A zone, or 2 shots anywhere to neutralize the target.When your rifle mag ran out, you transitioned back to your handgun for CQB targets at the end. What made it so much fun, was you could figure out what was best for you. Good with your rifle? Shoot 1 good shot per target, make your ammo last and shoot your rifle longer. Want insurance on points? Double tap the targets and transition to handgun, or go with a blend of the two. At the end of the stage there was a fresh mag for your rifle waiting, along with 16 shots at 100 and 200 yd steel. Man those plates get little when you are sucking wind!!! The point I want to make is, it was a fantastic stage design, because each shooter could decide what was best for them and then go with it. You found out at the end if your plan was good. ( I found out I'm getting old, fat, and out of shape) :sick:

• 2 weeks later...

The Johnson 3 Gun match in Pueblo was full of stages with options similar to the ones mentioned here. It was a great match! I will be there again next year unless something major gets in the way. If you enjoy stages which are "freestyle," you ought to give it a try.

Andy Horner

We just ran our annual 3 gun. One stage had 4 rifle rounds, (As if you had already been shooting and ran dry) you shot the 4, dropped your rifle onto the sling,and engaged the remaining targets with pistol. another stage you had 5 rifle rounds, shot dry, sot your pistol until you reached the spare ammo on the opposite side of the stage bay, then abandoned or holstered your pistol and reloaded your rifle. A third stage had a rifle with 11 rounds staged partially through the COF. you shot pistol until you reached rifle, all spare rifle rounds to come from the body you retrieved your rifle from.

Limiting the loaded rounds in the rifle, or pistol or SG is the only way to enforce this type of COF.

And the shooters all seemed to like it.

Jim