Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pit Bull Attack

ErikW

My father and his dog were attacked by a pit bull today. He was strangling the pit bull when its dirtbag owners showed up.

Get this: 911 refused to send the police or sheriff, because the pit bull bit the dog, not my dad, even though it knocked him to the ground. I guess precious Alpine, CA law enforcement resources can't be diverted to vicious dog attacks when they need to catch border-crossing Mexicans.

I fear for my small nephews.

Another good reason CCW's should be issued in CA whenever requested by upstanding citizens. But no, and now your dad has to do the job bare handed. I hope he got some good choking in before he let go of that beast. Too bad he didn't get the job completed!

The police were called a few days ago in Louisvillle, KY when a boy was under attack from a pit bull. I was impressed with their marksmanship. They killed the dog and did not hit the boy. Chalk one up for the good guys. :)

Edited by AikiDale

Another good reason CCW's should be issued in CA whenever requested by upstanding citizens.

Like that would ever happen. Upstanding citizens aren't responsible enough to control the inner demons of handguns. Instead we should issue pit bull's to everyone that way everything would be fair...

Glad your father wasn't bitten. Hows your dad's dog?

sorry to hear of such an experience. I grew up w the breed and some are great, some aint. I truly believe it is how you treat the animal, and that its not totally the breeds fault. Pits are the strongest and fastest dog out there. We didnt mind them so much when we used them WW2 to chomp on Nazis. They were Americas dog back in the 30's. hell look at petey from the little rascals! I have had 4 of them in my lifetime and not a single incident. But I'm no trailer trash, thug, methlab owner either. I'm over tryin to save the breed and I now let Labs own me instead. Heres a pic of an 80lb lugnut of love. the most docile creature I ever encountered. He used to share his food with birds and stray cats! I treated him like my best bud and he did the same. Its a damn shame invalids took over the breed and ruined them because they are so loyal and loving! just stubborn as all hell!

post-8838-1170246997.jpg

post-8838-1170247183.jpg

I had a pit for years as well and it was just a friendly playfull dog.

Never hurt anyone or anything but then it was raised as part of the family not as a fighting trophy.

People who rais them to fight should be thrown under the bus.

Eric

I am glad your dad is ok, and hope his dog is too.

Personally, I would make a stealth move and take that dog out before it hurts someone. From the posts above, I can see that not all Pit Bulls are bad, but this one obviously is a bad one.

Throw a large chunk of cooking chocolate in that dogs yard one evening, it will most likely be dead by morning. :ph34r:

You would be doing someone down the line a huge service, because it is gonna hurt someone before it is all over.

Advising people to engage in criminal behaviour on a open forum, may not be the best course of action. I own a big mean looking dog, and I sympathize with all bully breed owners that get grouped in with the few idiots who can't control their dogs. However that dog did attack another dog and a human and that shouldn't be ignored.

However, those idiots are out there, and I think the legal path is the better option. First, contact their homeowners insurance. Most will refuse to cover your house if you have a violent dog. If the owner has a mortgage then he is required to have insurance. Thats something that is going to get his ass into line real fast.

No need for us to make gun owners looks bad by poisoning the dog, who after all is not really at fault.

This one hits close to home. The city I live in just passed a ban on "violent breeds" including pits and rotts. I don't own either of them and never plan to because I personally feel that they are two of the more aggressive breeds and I don't want that responsibility. However, the idea of banning a breed because of irresponsible owners just seems wrong. Something akin to banning guns because some people misuse them.

If I own a dog that is capable of attacking and killing a child then I need to take appropriate precautions to ensure it doesn't happen. That's not a breed issue. My black lab is capable of doing just that. He never will because he's a big goofy lap dog, but he has jaws and teeth that make him capable of doing it. If he were startled or scared or hurt...who knows? So I take precautions and keep him in a fenced yard capable of holding him securely or in the house and if he's out running loose I'm right there to keep an eye on him. Personal responsibility is a good thing.

Yes, owner's responsibility is the key.

In my case, many years ago my wife and I had a female pit named "Brandy". She was an extremely lovable and loyal dog.

I am the only person she ever bit and it was an accident. My brother-in-law used to play with her using a white cotton towel as a "pull" toy. She probably weighed only a few pounds less than him and enjoyed much time dragging him around the back yard.

One cool day I was working in the back yard wearing white cotton work gloves. You got it right, my left hand turned into the new "pull" toy. A total accident, but at that point I realized just how strong she was and that 100% control of this dog was NOT possible.

My wife was 6 months pregnant with our first child. With many tears, the dog had to go. Responsibility is tough.

Bill

p.s. We now have a toy poodle name "Ku jo".

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Boo I agree it would be a CS thing to do, and not very plesant.

I have seen too many children maimed and killed by dogs. And I dont have a lot of faith in the system being able to take care of the problem.

You are totaly correct as for banning a breed ,,its the OWNERS responsibility not the dog!

Just like banning guns to prevent crime.

I am sorry, I get wound really tight over things that put children in great peril!

signed OVER PROTECTIVE GRANDFATHER

Vlad, I been meaning to ask you... is your dog a pit or an american bulldog? I rescued the one in the pics and because of his size and 20lb head, I thought he may have been an American Bull dog runt, or maybe a pit/bulldog mix. Just to sweet to describe. dumber than sack of hammers though! I had more problems w beagles than pits. those lil bastards would chew my arm off to get whatever food I had in my hand when I was kid. I required stitches from beagles several times. 1x in the face when I was 3 yo. Friigin snoopy wanted to take my head off over a chinese sparerib!

As far as poisoning the dog, why dont you go bite the owner! :lol: then call animal control. I dont tolerate violent people, why tolerate a violent dog? ;)

This one hits close to home. The city I live in just passed a ban on "violent breeds" including pits and rotts. I don't own either of them and never plan to because I personally feel that they are two of the more aggressive breeds and I don't want that responsibility. However, the idea of banning a breed because of irresponsible owners just seems wrong. Something akin to banning guns because some people misuse them.

If I own a dog that is capable of attacking and killing a child then I need to take appropriate precautions to ensure it doesn't happen. That's not a breed issue. My black lab is capable of doing just that. He never will because he's a big goofy lap dog, but he has jaws and teeth that make him capable of doing it. If he were startled or scared or hurt...who knows? So I take precautions and keep him in a fenced yard capable of holding him securely or in the house and if he's out running loose I'm right there to keep an eye on him. Personal responsibility is a good thing.

I have owned Rottweilers for many years. They are properly bred and properly raised and trained. Wouldn't bite a biscuit unless it was a threat to the family. Our old male, Remo, just passed away this past fall. I have seen a dozen kids at one of our daughter's birthday parties leave the toys and games and go dress him up and play games with him. Have a picture of him somewhere wearing 2 party hats, a cape of wrapping paper, and dragging about 20 yards of ribbon around with 3 girls age 4 or 5 hanging on his neck. He was as happy as they were. Now, if a strange adult had messed with the kids? His own kind of party would have started.

Banning breeds is just another sign of the pussification of America. It is a response to a problem that no one has the balls to respond to properly.

Im glad your father was ok!

My daughter was attacked 2 years ago, the day after Christmas and that ended with 200 stitches in her face. It was a mut that weighed maybe 34 lbs. belonging to an aquaintance.

When we walk our own dogs, we carry and once I had to pull my gun on a Pitbull that was running loose. It charged us but stopped 4 feet short, I drew my gun and we walked backwards across the street and then vigilantly continued our walk. I own big dogs (shorthair pointer and irish setter) and would never allow them to roam free. When someone comes over, I even lock them up to avoid any possible problems.

I am sorry, I get wound really tight over things that put children in great peril!

...which I hope includes junk-food diets, lack of exercise, crappy TV content, and poor education! <grumble>

I have no doubt euthanasia is the proper outcome in many dog-bites-human instances. *Especially* where children are concerned, while the fault lies with the owner, the dog should probably be removed: permanently and humanely.

It's just that, uh, potential problems and issues with sneaking out in the middle of the night, tossing some quasi-effective "poison" over a neighbor's fence, don't seem particuarly obscure, beyond age seven.

Out of curiosity, is this animal still around? Didn't Erik say his father strangled it?

Banning guns and banning dogs don't equate. A gun can't act on it's own. A dog can, no matter how vigilant or responsible his owner is. Pit bulls have a long, bad history of unprovoked attacks on small children and other breeds, and are extremely unpredictable, no matter how well the owner treats them. It's in their nature, and nature usually wins out.

How many labrador retrievers make the news for savage acts?

Troy

Labs are the number 1 breed for attacks. Of course, they're 45% of the canine pet population in the US as well, so this skews the debate a bit. Still, labs attack.

Strong breeds that suffer from poor leadership result in insecure dogs that bite. Owners need to be sent up the river for their pet's actions. The offending pet should be euthanized.

In Idaho, we can defend our property with lethal force and this includes our pets. If a dog of any breed mixes it up with my leashed labrador, I will defend my dog. You bet I wouldn't hesitate to defend a human from that dog either.