Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Picking Up Live Ammo (dont)

George Oakes

Hey guys, fairly new poster here, been shooting for several months now.

the other day I went to a USPSA local match, and was shooting on the squad from my gun club, it was a nice day in Florida in December and warm and breezy 75 degrees or close to it.

I was shooting my 1911 in L-10 and after shooting I would pick up my live round I just ejected when clearing my weapon. I also saw a .40 S&W and it was new, so I grabbed that one too. I have an XD-40 as a back up gun, and love to shoot that as well. So I figured I would put that round in the bag for use with my xd-40.

Murphy's Law not being the total stranger to guns, and competitions, decided that the .40 cal bullet would look better sitting in my box of .45 acp ammo. On the last stage I was talking and joking around with the guys on my squad and refilling mags for the final round.

completey unaware that Murphy's Law had invaided my gun bag, and ammo, I put the .40 cal round on the very top of my first mag in my belt. I did not notice any difference in ammo, and was not paing attention.

I got to the stage, inserted the mag, loaded the weapon (yup the .40 cal round will go into the .45 barrel nicely) holstered the weapon, and when the buzzer went off, I drew the gun, flipped the safety off, and fired the round at a steel 50ft. away. Ting I hit the target, good now to the next targer. The RO did not see anything wrong with my gun, I did not feel anything different and the next round, a .45 was chambered nicely. Ah but what happened was the .40 round did not extract, instead the .45 round pushed it into the barrel and when I pulled the trigger... BOOM

Power was all over us, brass was sticking out the end of my barrel and the slide would not go forward. The RO and I deduced that I had a slight problem. We dropped the magazine, tryed to force the slide forward and using pliers tried to remove the .40 cal case from the end of the barrel.

We could not and decided it was time to take the gun off the line, and send it to my gunsmith.

The gunsmith was able to remove the barrel, and check for other damage, which there was none. He charged me 50$ for a new springfield barrel and I was shooting again the next day.

Moral of the story...

Never pick up live ammo, unless you know its yours! Always keep different ammo locked up and away from what you are shooting. And pay attention to what you are doing off the range as well as on the range. Murphy has a way of showing up in the weirdest places.

Peace and happy shooting

G

Yes it could have been much worse. In an effort to save .10 cents it ended up costing me 50$.

Lucky for me the bulge in the barrel caused by the .45 pushing the .40 to the end of the barrel caused the slide to get stuck on the buldge not allowing the slide to come back and damage the rest of the gun, or my face :)

The only thing hurt was the wallet, and a new story was created for the RO to tell to his RO buddies.

Glad to hear everyone is fine, but it could have been worse.

Catastrophic failure is often a due to a series of errors, and make no mistake what you experienced is a catastrophic failure.

If I may, do pick up that ammo, but dispose of it. Leaving it on the ground is not a good idea either, we don't know what load it is and who is going to pick it up and shoot it in their gun and hurt themselves. Further, if the range has grass and it gets mowed, I hear mower blades don't like live rounds :ph34r:

Edited by Vlad

Never pick up live ammo, unless you know its yours! Always keep different ammo locked up and away from what you are shooting. And pay attention to what you are doing off the range as well as on the range. Murphy has a way of showing up in the weirdest places.

Glad you're OK. Gun parts are much cheaper than body parts.

Good moral, but the wrong one for your story. The right one might be something like, pay attention to what you're doing when you're handling your firearms, particularly when you're loading them.

Your moral is, however, quite good for a different reason. Even if you had the right caliber, you don't know enough about what you pick up to know it's desirable in your gun. I shoot .45 in Bullseye, USPSA and for hunting. My Bullseye round won't even cycle my Single Stack gun, my SS rounds would tear my bullseye gun up, and my hunting rounds would stress my Single Stack gun if the recoil spring isn't changed out. A friend of mine shoots exotics out of his .45, bullets I would not trust in any of my guns. When you pick a round up at the range, you have no way of knowing what's inside. Sometimes finding out the hard way is expensive. BTW, I also don't shoot reloads done by anyone I don't know and trust, and even then, we talk about what's inside before I do.

Lee

Isn't that why 9mm major is 9x21, rather than 9x19?

Nope 9mm (9x19) is out there and is gaining some popularity in some areas of the country.

I look for more of this type thing happening with all the 9mm Open guns out there. 1350 fps in a Production gun, sounds like fun.

Sadly I think you are right, as some look to "pack-rat" that $ .07 round.

I did something similar last year but lucky for me Mr Murphy was not around.

I was shooting the Bang and Clang classifier stage if I remember correctly. It is 4 steel and 1 paper. I always draw take 2 steel, 2 on the paper, and then shoot the last 2 steel. I was shooting Lim10 and didn't realize that I had a 9mm round in my .40 mag. It just happened that the 6th round in my 10 round mag was the 9mm round. I shoot the 5 other shots then hit the last steel with the 9mm round the steel wobbled for what felt like eternity and then fell over. The 9mm did not cycle the slide so I was done shooting. The RO had yelled stop when the gun sounded goofy. I shot it in 4.06 seconds so I was happy, but pissed that I had gotten some 9mm in with my .40.

I got to the stage, inserted the mag, loaded the weapon (yup the .40 cal round will go into the .45 barrel nicely) holstered the weapon, and when the buzzer went off, I drew the gun, flipped the safety off, and fired the round at a steel 50ft. away. Ting I hit the target, good now to the next targer. The RO did not see anything wrong with my gun, I did not feel anything different and the next round, a .45 was chambered nicely. Ah but what happened was the .40 round did not extract, instead the .45 round pushed it into the barrel and when I pulled the trigger... BOOM

G

I was trying to grasp what happened and I think I just figured it out. the actual .40 bullet did leave the barrel and hit the steel (ting) but the actual brass case stayed in the barrel, and that case is what the next round, a .45, hit when the next shot was fired.

I've decided it's a good idea to never pick up or use that ejected round when I clear the gun.

Someone hands me a live round about half the time, but usually it isn't mine. I toss them deep in the woods.

I shoot major 9mm and load long but my rounds will still chamber in some guns.!

I also try not to leave any unfired rounds on the ground.

Its just no good to shoot (pick ups) .

We dispose all live rounds found on the range.

I glad you didnt get hurt!!!

All shooters can learn a valuable lesson from this post ,Thank You.!!!!!!

Jim

I stripe all my match brass (Thanks Nolan) and if it isn't mine it goes in the RO's bucket of unclaimed brass. If I didn't load it or buy it I don't shoot it. I have been know to create my own failures without help from someone else.

I try to pick up any live rounds I find on the ground and put them in my brass bag for later disposal. If it is in my brass bag I won't accidently load it in my mags. Live ammo left on the ground is an invitation for someone to use it and cause damage or injury.

I stripe all my match brass (Thanks Nolan) and if it isn't mine it goes in the RO's bucket of unclaimed brass. If I didn't load it or buy it I don't shoot it. I have been know to create my own failures without help from someone else.

Excellent rule to follow. I've seen some funky ammo laying around at big matches.

That is exactly correct, the .45 bullet pushed the .40 case thru the barrel and stopped just at the end of the gun. 1/2 of .40 case was sticking out the end of the barrel with the .45 rounds stuck behind it.

G

I was trying to grasp what happened and I think I just figured it out. the actual .40 bullet did leave the barrel and hit the steel (ting) but the actual brass case stayed in the barrel, and that case is what the next round, a .45, hit when the next shot was fired.

I saw this happen about a year ago... this is my post from Feb '06...

====

Slightly off-topic, but I'll submit the weirdest .40 "blowup" I've ever witnessed - or will likely ever witness - or certainly hope I ever witness...

.40 round lodged in muzzle of a .45 Kimber (look at the barrel bushing - no good news here)...

Mvc-022s.jpg

Mvc-023s_2.jpg

What a .45 looks like after such treatment...

Mvc-025s.jpg

A young shooter with a brand-new, borrowed .45 Kimber drew on the start signal, only to get an empty "click" when he dropped the hammer. He slapped and racked, then...BOOM...

As nearly as anyone could figure, he'd chambered a .40 round on his initial load. When he dropped the hammer, it drove the entire round into the barrel. The .45 set off behind it lodged the .40 in the muzzle, detonating it, and, of course, rupturing the barrel.

Took several folks and some heavy blows to beat the gun open to clear the line, whereupon the Kimber's owner sadly gathered up the shattered remains and shipped them back to the factory for salvage/rebuild...

That's a valuable illustration of what kind of bummer can occur in a situation like this. Kinda like looking at the aftermath of a bad human injury. This could happen to YOUR gun, folks. "Better safe than sorry" applies to many, many occasions. :ph34r::o

Sorry to hear about what happened, but as an RO, a far better thing to do-

WATCH where the ejected round(s) go- especially during unload and show clear.

As a shooter- PAY ATTENTION to YOUR rounds, pick them up.

As a resetting shooter- pick up live rounds when you find them, put them in an obvious place for later disposal.

Or, shoot a revolver (moonclipped, of course) and get 100% brass retention, even at lost brass matches, and all your live rounds come back to you too! :9