Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Not To Use A Bullet Puller

Do ANY of the bullet pullers last over a few rounds? I had broken 4 or 5 before I discovered the trash can for my "mistakes." B)

I had the Dillon puller with the aluminum handle. It did last quite a while smacking it on the cement porch step. But the metal handle eventually broke off from the plastic head. Dillon exchanged it for the all plastic one and it is still going strong.

I did however discover that smacking it onto a metal clad dead blow hammer face to face works perfectly. Plus i don't have to go outside to the cement.

Am I the only reloader who has never owned a bullet puller? Trash can is close by and Ive probably thrown away less rounds in the last 14 years than would add up to the cost of a bullet puller or two.

I have about 50 bullet pulls on my RCBS and it still looks new, I use the sunday paper on concrete. Works really well. I use my RCBS collet puller when I can but for my .45 lead swc I have to use the inertia puller. It works great and the sunday paper doesnt effect the plastic at all.

Edited by SSDriver

When all else fails, read the manual. :rolleyes:

Inertia bullets pullers should be struck on hardwood not steel or concrete. The handle shaft should be parallel to the floor when struck. You're supposed to let them bounce away from the surface, not drive them through the floor. The bounce is what does the work.

Mine has lasted almost twenty years doing this, and most bullets come out in 1 or two whaps.

The Quinetics New Twist chuck will fit other pullers and is fantastic. No more unscrewing the cap all the way and putting the three stupid chuck pieces back into the retaining wire.

George

I just whack it on an old wooden stool...no problems yet...

Let's try again...

When using my bullet puller, I strike it against a wooden stool.

:lol::ph34r:

Nice Catch. It's probably better you caught it than some of these wise-quackers around here. :lol::lol::lol:

dj

Edited by dajarrel

I have a Lyman bullet puller made by Quinetics. I've had it since the mid 80's. I did replace the collet with the new Quinetics twist lock, but that is the only thing replaced. I have beaten it on all kinds of things. Wood, steal, aluminum, brass, concrete what ever was handy. It doesn't look pretty and the aluminum handle has a slight bend in it, but I expect it to be going strong for another 20 years.

• 1 year later...

I hammer mine (RCBS) on the concrete and it has pulled hundreds of bullets. I'll even pick up all the rejects at the range that nobody wants. Every piece of every round pulled can be used for something or other, even if I don't know what it is. I then load up all the "junk" bullets and what do you know... My 625 still feeds them flawlessly!

Dave Sinko

I had an RCBS puller's cap blow apart once. It took me awhile to figure out what happened, all I'd done was put the shell holder in upside down, so when I hit the floor with the puller, the shell holder expanded and broke the cap. so remember, flat side down, round side up!

Guys, another little tip is to cut the little rubber band around the collet and superglue the collets to the rubber band. that way one end is unattached when it is in the Puller. This was you only have to unscrew it about 2 turns and then the case and bullet come out, and the collet is ready for another. Not high volume, but it works really well. I also have a 4x4 on a base that I use, it is easier on me than the puller.... :lol:

DougC

Umm, I pulled about 50 mixed rounds with my RCBS with the collet being upside down... Nothing broke yet but the end of the chuck has a nice taper to it now. For most rifle rounds I use a Hornady CamLock but if I need something quick I grab the kenetic puller.

I have an RCBS puller that is made by Quinetics (spelling??). I have had it since 1974, and have pulled umpteen rounds, mostly found ammo and some military. The only thing that has worn out was the aluminum donut. I bought new ones from Midway (forgot about RCBS free replacement) and it has been going strong ever since. I use a 1" by 2" piece of steel. A little common sense and the bullet comes out in three or four whacks.