Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Not To Use A Bullet Puller

I have made great use out of my Dillon bullet puller over the last year, until a couple days ago... I was doing setting up a load on my 550, and put a bullet with no primer or powder in the puller to take it apart. I wacked it on the concrete and plastic when flying everywhere! WTF!!! I'm looking at what flew around the room trying to figure out how the hell it came apart.

Words of wisdom, don't ever wack it on the concrete upside down.

I don't know how the hell I did it, but anyone the platic nut that holds the bullet shatters when you do that.

For the inertia pullers, it helps to hammer them against a block of wood rather than a steel benchtop or concrete floors.

Of course, I offer no advice as to what the best hammer surface is for upside down hammering. ;)

The press mounted cam or collett pullers work best.

Concrete floors are too hard and will crack or break the plastic bullet pullers. After cracking two of them I started using a small piece of 2X4. Maple or Oak seems to work the best. I put the wood piece on the floor instead of on the loading bench.

every time i break a inertia puller, i call the manufacturer up and ask if i can buy a replacement part. Their answer? We'll ship one to you for free. :D cool. mmmm.... free..... free is good. in your case, since dillon is on these forums, and they'll probably read this post, will they give you a replacement one for free? not sure if improper useage is covered.....

I tried wood but don't get good results. takes a while before the bullet comes free. I just use the flat portion of the vise :mellow: . works but i'm sure it shortens the life of the puller.

as for the collet puller, i'd advise against using it in your dillon. i'm not sure how robust the dillon shell plate is but i would not risk a bent shell plate just to salvage a few components. I use one of those $19 pot metal Lee single stage press. works great.

Edited by yoshidaex

I have a small cylinder of brass that I tap the puller on.

I have had th same puller for 7 or 8 years.

The secret is to sharply tap the puller on a hard surface two or three times rather than trying to do the job with one big thump.

al

Borrowed a kinetic hammer a while ago. Barely dared to pound with it, but in the end you have to whack very hard. Used it on vinyl floor (over concrete). NOT recommended, as it leaves round marks on the floor. Used it for 44Mags with heavy crimp, and ended up with the lead leaving of the jackets, how's that for creating your own sabots?

just got a new one from Quinetics, with a new style collar. It's got the Oring peened in place, and then cut in one spot. You don't need to take the cap off anymore, just twist it slightly and the bullet, brass and powder fall out.

as well it's not how hard you smack it necessarily, but if you pull back right afterward, that makes it work the best. If you are trying to drive the puller through the floor or the block of wood, you'll just damage the puller.

I use a piece of 4x4 on end set on the bench to beat on. Two or three sharp raps and the components disassemble. Been using the same puller for at least 5 years.

OTOH, if I could get a collet type puller that works on lead and Moly coated lead bullets, I'd have no use for the inertia type.

FWIW

dj

I have had a quinetics for a long time and it keeps on going. My handle is bent pretty good from some rifle rounds I pulled for a friend. I've also used it to pull some .17 Remington rounds apart. I think you need to let inertia work for you and not try to help it at all. When using it I hold it fairly loose and 2-3 whacks is the normal to pull a bullet. Never tried pulling primers.

It's good to know I wasn't the only one who broke their kinetic bullet puller. After I broke it and picked up another one I glanced at the directions and a big full swing down onto a piece of carpet on top of concrete was not listed to describe it's usage. I'll be tapping it onto an old butcher block piece the wife retired from the kitchen from now on and not as much force.

Wood stumps are the prime target for my inertia puller. The other two keys for me are re-tightening the top and letting it bounce back after the hit.

I also made myself one of those screen-coffee cans the chronoguys use for dumping the contents-- powder falls through, bullets stay on screen. After 50 or 100 rounds, take the can outside and light it up..

I broke the screw-on cap of an RCBS puller after like 20 rounds. Farking thing exploded like a bomb, sending bits of plastic, powder, a bullet and a primed case flying.

I bought a Midway (Crapford Arsenal?) model thats lasted at least 250 rounds now, but even it has now been shelved in favor of a Lee Pot Metal press and an RCBS collet puller.

Even though I use one, I, Like Merlin should listen to my own advice. I load mainly 9mm for about 3-4 cents a piece (subtracting the primer). If the bullet puller is $20, that means I have to pull (and salvage the) 571 bullets to pay for itself without it breaking first. If/When this RCBS one breaks, I think the trash can will be my next "oops" solution too..

I guess I'm special, I have an RCBS kinetic puller and I pulled 400 rounds of 9mm over a very long week. I used it on the cement floor of my garage. The tool is still in fine shape, but I did wear out the collet. I guess thats not so bad after 400 rounds. No cracks, or wear besides some scuffs.

My two granddaughters lurk constantly around my reloading work ,hopeing for me to make a mistake they LOVE pulling bullets.!

My puller is an old kinetics type and has held up well even with two little girls beating every thing in sight with it. :wub:

Jim

By all means use a chunk of wood and not concrete. As other comments in this thread have stated, concrete will destroy the puller in short order. Also, to save wear & tear on the puller be sure you follow through with your strike, i.e., don't let it bounce. You'll get a lot more "pull" that way.

Do ANY of the bullet pullers last over a few rounds? I had broken 4 or 5 before I discovered the trash can for my "mistakes." B)

having recently gone through bullet pulling hell, I can give you an answer.

The best puller for jacketed bullets is the hornady cam-lock. I'f you have press for it.

however, what was causing me the real nightmare was precision 185gr coated lead in .40 cases that went through an EGW undersize die.

For that, what you want is one of the several bullet pullers with the screw on end and the metal shaft. THEN what you want is your lee case holder from the die set. Put shell in case holder, put in puller, screw down puller. Whack on wood scrap (i use a chunk of 3/4" mdf) with moderate force. tighten screw down holder. wahcak again.

it takes a while, but it gets everything apart eventually.

Pretty much i only take things apart when setting up a pres for a round and/or changing whose bullets i'm using in my recipie. I want to make sure that I'm not scratching or more importantly breaking through any plating/coating that may be invovled.

I am on my 1st puller in at least 15 years. I use a concrete floor and letting the puller, rebound and pivot in your forefinger/thumb, is the preferred technique for one hit and I guess life. I pull all my bad ones unless the brass is squashed.

I just whack it on an old wooden stool...no problems yet...

Let's try again...

When using my bullet puller, I strike it against a wooden stool.

:lol::ph34r:

Edited by Pharaoh Bender