Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ti Cylinder?

mshotwell

Advantages:

(1) Reduces problem of cylinder stop notch peening that affects the stainless cylinders of some 625s.

(2) The shooter senses less "torque" when running the gun at speed, there is little or no sensation of the cylinder going around.

(3) All other things being equal, it should lighten up the trigger pull slightly.

(4) "Cool factor."

Disadvantages:

(1) Reduces overall weight of gun, increasing felt recoil somewhat.

(2) Tendency toward sticky loading and extraction, requiring extra brushing/cleaning to maintain match reliability.

(3) Cost.

My personal viewpoint is that the advantages of the Ti cylinder do not quite outweigh the disadvantages, although others I respect take the opposite view. Either way, the difference is pretty slight, and the choice seems to have no meaningful impact on match performance, as you will see some top shooters using Ti cylinders, along with many who don't.

I have experienced some peening on the cylinder of my main 625, but the one time I experienced some chamber skipping, a new MIM cylinder stop and spring took care of it. The peening does not seem to be worsening. If I had true ongoing problems with cylinder peening, I would consider installing a Ti cylinder for that reason.

There's an additional, esoteric reason: accuracy. My 25-2 (which I love) is not the best bullet-launcher extant. In my last test, I locked it in the Ransom rest and found something I've found in other older Smiths. If I load and fire groups from a single chamber, it is a tack-driver. However, each chamber fires its group to a different point of impact than the other five. So the aggregate is a, shall we say, casual group.

625s rarely do that, and any cylinder machined on the new CNC machines shows that phenomenon not at all.

My test shows that my barrel is quite good. A stainless cylinder would probably solve the problem. But I might as well get all I can for the expense, so I've sent mine in for a Ti cylinder.

Scrubbing chambers I can live with. And with my ejection style I really don't see sticky extraction as a problem. :P

I just put a Ti cylinder in my main 625. So far I'm kind of neutral on the issue. It does seem to change the trigger pull, like Mike said there's less "torque" when you pull the trigger.

I've only shot the gun in one match so far and I didn't notice much difference. The recoil felt about the same when I was running at speed, and the trigger pull seemed the same.

I think part of the problem is that sitting around mucking with a gun is far different than actually shooting the same gun in a match. I did notice more recoil when I test fired the gun, but not when actually competing with the gun. The trigger does feel smoother and lighter (it's a Randy job, and will lift a 5# trigger pull weight) but I didn't really notice it when competing with it.

During the match I did have one moon that refused to completely chamber. Not sure if the chamber was dirty or if it was a bad round.

I'm going to continue shooting the Ti cylinder in matches and see if it's worth it. But I do have my stainless cylinder sitting right on the bench just in case.

I took the Ti cylinder out of my 625. I did not like the feel of the gun with the Ti cylinder and you can feel the difference in recoil. The Ti cylinder also gets much hotter than the stainless one.

I took them out of both of my 625's. The brass "sticking" in the chamber during extraction nearly cuased the ejector rod to punch a hole through my hand during a match. Even with scrubbing, the vast temperature differences led to some distortion that caused the brass to be finicky. I don't see the value to be quite honest...Want to buy mine??? :lol:

Edited by Barrettone

I have two 627s and one 625 set up with Ti cylinders. I have put 4,000 rds through one of the 627s, half in competition, half in practice. I set the gun up with a Randy Lee hammer, at the same time that I installed the Ti cylinder. I have to say this is the most satisfying modification I have ever made to a gun in last 40 years. I can't imagine ever removing either the cylinder or the Lee hammer.

Bob Mcgee

Sounds like their is going to be a fire sale on Ti cylinders this year :D I can honestly say that I have had only one instance of possible sticky extraction with my Ti. And that was at Nat's last year. But I think that was due to some old brass( I'm cheap) as opposed to the Ti cylinder. Brass cracked at the base of the case and I couldn't get it out for nothing, cost me 10 to 15 sec on that stage. Other than that all has been good. I will give you guys $20 each for your Ti's and I will even pay shipping :P

Tom

Pictures of Cliff with "Beer and a Horse Saddle"???...that's nuttin'...I'VE got pics of Cliff shooting a...a...a RUGER MKII!!!...How's THAT?!?!...Do you need my addy for shipping the Ti cylinder yet???... :) ....mikey357

(thread drift on)

Having just purchased a 625-? (gun is not in front of me right now). How would one go about getting a Ti cylinder? From reading prior posts, Randy Lee is the man for action work when the time comes.

I don't plan on competing in the Revolver division until late this year or early next, so I'm not in a rush to get it all done right away.

Thanks for any info!

(thread drift off)

(thread drift on)

Having just purchased a 625-? (gun is not in front of me right now). How would one go about getting a Ti cylinder? From reading prior posts, Randy Lee is the man for action work when the time comes.

I don't plan on competing in the Revolver division until late this year or early next, so I'm not in a rush to get it all done right away.

Thanks for any info!

(thread drift off)

Good thing you're not is a hurry...He's backed up about 6-8 months right now. Get it to him soon, and you just might get it back in time!!! He is the best, and it is worth the wait!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Recently completed my second match with the Ti cylinder. I have purposely not cleaned the cylinder for a while to test it under poor conditions.

The gun ran fine the whole match until the last three stages. The range I was shooting at is an indoor range and we run the stages side by side. The second half of the match consisted of three short (12-18 round) stages, all were pretty much stand and shoots.

I had to work that evening so I choose to shoot all three stages one after another so that I could finish the match and spend what little time I had before I left as an RO.

On the last stage I noticed my reloads were getting sticky on extraction, and my last moon fired was VERY difficult to extract. I had to punch the ejector rod with my hand quite hard, and left a nice mark on my palm (luckily I dulled the sharp end of the ejector rod).

My guess is that it wasn't dirt that caused the extraction problems, but rather excess heat in the cylinder. Those light Ti cylinders heat up pretty quick, especially after running 40 or so rounds through them. My theory is that the Ti cylinders get hotter faster and start to hang on to the brass harder. Any takers? Dissenting opinions? Differing experiences? Scientific evidence?

Rob,

My 646 gets sticky and has extraction problems when it gets hot. I get this feeling it is the Ti material that is expanding.

One quick fix I have done is shooting only nickle cases in it, helps some until rather hot. but better than brass.

I do like the little gun though, hardly ever shoot it much......one or two non sanctioned IDPA matches here localy.

Hopalong

Recently completed my second match with the Ti cylinder. I have purposely not cleaned the cylinder for a while to test it under poor conditions.

The gun ran fine the whole match until the last three stages. The range I was shooting at is an indoor range and we run the stages side by side. The second half of the match consisted of three short (12-18 round) stages, all were pretty much stand and shoots.

I had to work that evening so I choose to shoot all three stages one after another so that I could finish the match and spend what little time I had before I left as an RO.

On the last stage I noticed my reloads were getting sticky on extraction, and my last moon fired was VERY difficult to extract. I had to punch the ejector rod with my hand quite hard, and left a nice mark on my palm (luckily I dulled the sharp end of the ejector rod).

My guess is that it wasn't dirt that caused the extraction problems, but rather excess heat in the cylinder. Those light Ti cylinders heat up pretty quick, especially after running 40 or so rounds through them. My theory is that the Ti cylinders get hotter faster and start to hang on to the brass harder. Any takers? Dissenting opinions? Differing experiences? Scientific evidence?

I have a Ti cyl in my 625 and have not had any problems of sticking cases. I have always soaked the cyl in hot water before cleaning and that was getting old. So, I had the Birdsong coating put on the cyl and cleaning is very simple now. As to your heat theory, the only thing I can add is that last week just before I packed up to go home I shot 8 moon clips as fast as I could and did not experience any sticking after 48 fast rounds. Not very scientific, but I think the coating has helped a good bit. Chris

So, I had the Birdsong coating put on the cyl and cleaning is very simple now.

Chris, did Birdsong coat the inside of the chambers? (That would surprise me.)

Yes, the inside of the chambers were coated too. That was what really sold me on getting it done. My original intent was to make cleaning easier but it turns out coating the insides of the chambers was a more valuable thing. When they coat an entire gun the only thing that does not get coated is the bore.