Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Fish

Catfish

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one thing I've learned about shooting Open is it's the opposite of what I thought it was going to be.

I started shooting Open so I could focus on just the shooting. Only have to reload on stages with more than 29 rounds, and all I'd have to worry about is the shooting, not where the mag changes would be, no stage tactics to worry about other than the fastest way to run the dot on that stage....

Instead, I spent all of my time the last few months thinking about everything BUT the shooting. Will the ammo work? Will the mags feed? Are the stars in alignment? Did the Pope give his blessing today??

Gads, I just want to focus on the shooting, and Open was not letting me do that.

Oki doki - vacation's over. Time to get back to work!!

I haven't completely given up on Open. But that's going to be a battle for another year.

The 2009 campaign will be fought in Limited Class. I've got a percent or two until I earn my M card in Limited to go along with the L10 M card, and breaking that 85% barrier is first on a list of goals for '09.

First big match will be Double Tap; and I will be ready to rock!

• 2 weeks later...

Shot my first match in a few months that I could actually concentrate on just shooting, and not if the stars were in alignment!

Had a fun, fun day at the range today shooting Limited. 2nd limited and 7th ovl out of about 35ish shooters.

Rusty, and off by *that* much but it felt great to just pull the trigger and hit the target. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Shot an almost decent match Saturday at Greenville.

Damn it was cold. Windy, overcast and generally not very comfy. I dressed properly for it and it wasn't completely terrible. 6 of 7 stages were shot pretty well, but flat gave up/quit on the classifer when my trigger finger just quit working. Instead of taking a little breath I just hosed. :mellow: Lack of mental focus, which chaps me a bit but that's the way it is.

The cold appeared to be affecting my mags too. Or maybe my grip. (STI 2011) I couldn't get a mag to drop free at any point at any stage of the match. They just wouldn't drop free. At home, in 70ish degree weather, they drop OK. At the range, in the 30s, not so much. It wasn't a case of me fat fingering the mag release because they did it even in the safe area when I went and made sure it wasn't me physically doing something wrong because I couldn't feel the button....

Odd. Anyone got any ideas?

Derrick - I doubt there's any contraction of the grip frame and/or expansion of the mag with a 40 degree temperature difference. Sounds like you got some crud stuck up in the grip frame somewhere...if you've been shooting a bunch, crud can build up in the trigger bow area, though it probably would've affected the trigger pull if it had. Also, if you dropped a mag in the mud and didn't clean it off well enough, it might have transferred the mud to the inside of the grip frame the next time you used that mag. Just guessing from long distance. ;)

Waco today. Fun match... Other than a lazy issue I had on the last target in the classifier, probably the best match I've shot since, oh.....September?!

Had fun, got some trigger time and things are improving. Enjoyed another great day at the range!!

:cheers: