Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Fish

Catfish

I've debated whether or not to post out my range diary - and what the hell - here goes!!

Some history:

I started shooting IDPA in 1999 - made 3 gun Master within a coupla of years. Just about the time I was looking for another challenge, the rule changes came about and I decided that USPSA looked really appealing! Started shooting USPSA, classified as a B, then fairly quickly made A class, this would be October of '05.

My goal is to be a competitive GM.

'06 was a good, yet frustrating year for my shooting. I improved substantially. Took a class from Max and Travis and really started to see things. My match finishes at local matches have me either just barely beating, or just barely getting beaten by our local GMs. Best match I shot all year was Texas Limited, where I finished 16th. And I shot a very very good match for me - I was pleased.

However, whenever I'd get to classifiers I would give the targets more value than what they were worth and as a result I tanked a helluva lot of classifiers. I was as high as 83.xx% in Limited, and I think I'm still in the top 20 A class in Limited 10. My match performances are telling me that I'm shooting a pretty solid M class peformance, but the classifiers are just kicking my ass.

So, goal #1 for '07 is to just shoot the damn classifiers like they are any other stage.

Goal #2 is to work on my stage strategy. I was pretty close to the big dogs at the Texas Limited last year in most of the stages. There were a handful of stages where I flat got my ass kicked. Watching how "they" shot those stages showed me why - they shot the stages completely different than my plan. And obviously, their plan was better! So, goal #2 is to really look at how best to attack a stage and not to get caught in the trap of doing it just like everyone else.

Goal #3 is to take every stage seriously. Short courses, or when I shoot IDPA cause me to have a lack of focus. It's almost as if I look at the stage, think it's easy and then tune out. I need to stay sharp on the short courses and look at how best to attack that course just like the longer courses of fire where I seem to do very well.

Goal #4 is to continue to work out to improve my quickness, strength, and stamina. I've been working out very hard since Thanksgiving and have lost about 7 pounds, and two inches off my belly.

Goal #5 is to shoot Limited Nationals and to finish in the top 20. Hell, if Xre can do it, I can do it. :P

I know I can do it. It's just a question of willpower.

Thanks for looking.

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks guys - and Xre - that was a compliment to you; not just a sharp poke in the eye!

Tonight's practice involves working on Tai Chi reloads at ultra slow speed - building in good form and burning that into my subconscious.

I have noticed that during flat footed (as in during classifiers or standards) that I tend to stand completely straight up and lose my 'slightly forward' stance and I'll rock back after the reload whereas b4 the load I'm good.

Tonight I shall work on that. ;)

My goal is to be a competitive GM.

I know I can do it. It's just a question of willpower.

Thanks for looking.

I agree Derrick - I think you can do it too. The journey is the real prize!

Edited by Bryan W

thanks guys - and Xre - that was a compliment to you; not just a sharp poke in the eye!

:P:D I was just returning a good natured jab with one of my own ;)

The solution to the flat-footed shooting stance issue is... never shoot flat footed... ;) PM if you want, and I'll explain a little more... :D

Dry fire tonight. Working on smoothness. More tai chi mag changes and draws. Will incorporate some movement into the mag changes.

Speaking on smoothness. In my best Lanny Basshamism, I tell myself that "I am smooth and fast." Now, do you think that it matters much which way I say that?? As in compared to, "I am fast and smooth..."

Does the emphasis on one in your mental program decrease the emphasis on the other, or am I thinking too much?

Speaking on smoothness. In my best Lanny Basshamism, I tell myself that "I am smooth and fast." Now, do you think that it matters much which way I say that?? As in compared to, "I am fast and smooth..."

... I move with perfect timing and impeccable coordination...

be

... I move with perfect timing and impeccable coordination...

be

why..... of course I do! Excellent clarification. I like it. Thanks!!

shot IDPA tonight - figured it would be a good chance to break in the new blaster - a SW1911. I will be using this pistol in single stack this year; most likely as a backup to the pistol I'm having built up right now.

Regardless, a good night. Felt good to shoot a 1911 again, and it convinced me to submit my application to the Single Stack Nats this year. :)

One of the stages was a flat footed, no movement stage and I tried out XRe's moving while not moving and it felt really good. I think I just might do some more experimentation with that.

Dry fire tonight. Working on smoothness. More tai chi mag changes and draws.

Tell me more about these tai chi mag changes..... :unsure:

XRe about summed it up. Basically, I often practice my draws and reloads as slowly and smoothly as I can handle it. Working solely on technique and not speed. Really watching the mag in and then focusing on breaking the shot at extension - both on the draw and after a mag change. Just burning the proper form and technique into my subconscious.

With all the ice and crappy weather this weekend, I spent a lot of time fondling pistols. Watched football and practiced reloads most of the weekend from the couch. ;)

Lots of trigger work and alot of work with my limited and SS guns.

Tonight shall be somewhat more structured. Draws from the belt and reloads, both static and moving. Focus will be on maintaining an aggressive, ready to leave the box mentality throughout.

It is like me to move with perfect timing and impeccable coordination. ;)

Airic, allow me to clarify:

My dry fire movement drills at home involves basically taking one step. Draw, step, shoot. Draw, step backwards, shoot. Draw, step to the right, shoot. Draw step to the left, shoot. You get the picture.

Just breaking down the stages to little steps at a time; starting with the beginning. :)

Item of note for me tonight was that to draw and step forward the sight was dead level with virtually no movement. However, to draw and step backwards I kept getting a bobble until I just broke it down and figured out I was adding a little hitch with my trailing foot. Will need to work on that to make it go away for good.

Drills again tonight; I honestly don't see how you folks up north handle the winter. We've had about 2 weeks of it down here and I'm about to go nuts. Two weekend's worth of matches cancelled, and it looks like my scheduled day at the range on Monday for live fire practice is going to get freaking snowed out. :angry:

I've loaded about 1,000 rounds of ammo, cleaned then guns and I'm ready to shoot. Mother Nature, however, has some other ideas for us here in DFW....

Regardless, I will be getting in some dry fire tonight.

I am going to have to perhaps alter my schedule; maybe practice in the morning ala Airic... I am hitting the gym pretty damn hard at lunchtime and I am pretty much wasted to the point that holding up my pistol become fairly uncomfortable and fairly quick at that.

I'll see if I can dredge up the energy to get up a bit early tomorrow morning and do some work...