Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Fish

Catfish

Well, looks like the NT sectional will be the end of the "big"matches this season. Was planning on hitting A4 as well, but:

1. I'm pretty tired!!

2. Got the bill back from nationals.... :unsure:

No A4? Don't you know you'll be missing out? It's WEEKS away...your batteries will be recharged by then.

And just think of all the folks who will miss your smiling face.

Re-petition the Minister of Finance at your house (ok, grovel if you must).

So..... it's time to start gearing up for next year. Open class, here I come!!! :cheers:

Is that the Open class that's above or below GM class? :huh: (sorry dude, pet peeve of mine - but you're in good company, I've seen and heard MV say it too!)

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK - finally got a day off with no *real* responsibilities...

Set up the open gun's belt today, got the holster (thanks Merlin!) where I wanted it and adjusted the mag pouches appropriately.

Thought I had a complete setup to start making ammo but I'm lacking the funnel for the powder die and a FL crimp die - anyone got a spare??? :rolleyes:

I'm hoping to shoot Open at Saturday's match, let's see if I can find the die stuff I need....

If you get real jammed up, I've got enough ammo you can pick up to shoot the match with..... just FYI.

-Mike

thanks Mike!

I'm hoping to shoot Open at Saturday's match

I'll be bringin' my camera. :P

For the love of Pete, turn the volume off. I'm sure that the possibility for potty mouth is very high. :roflol:

What match on Saturday? It might be worth a drive to see this !

How 'bout Tyler on Sunday?

The match Saturday is going to be at Johnson County, off of Hwy 67 and I35W.... more or less. PM me if you're really going and I'll get you better directions than that. ;)

Open???

Yeah, I figure Open should be entertaining, to say the least. :cheers:

Well..... all I could say after the match was.... Welcome to Open!! :surprise:

First stage, barrel start for the gun. Got a bad grip (guess I'm not used to just being able to pick up the gun without scooping it up with the weak hand... :roflol: ) and thanks to the bad grip I of course hit the mag release with my weak hand after a few rounds.

Oops. The mag I loaded to, a new Brazos tuned STI 140mm mag that I bought at nats didn't work either. Ooops. More on this one later.

Second stage, the classifier, started well, but after I reloaded to the Brazos mag again the gun went single shot. :surprise: Of course, the classifier had some weak hand shooting involved and I of course couldn't find the damn dot... :unsure:

Got the mag issue worked out, as in, quit using the Brazos mag, and the gun ran 100% the rest of the day. Had a 2nd ovl stage on the 3rd stage, and that was with a perf hit on a no shoot thrown in.

Fourth stage had a major mental lapse, I think caused as much by the fact that I was running ahead of myself through the stage; after all, not having to reload after every array let me get downrange a lot faster than I'm used to. Shot an array of 4 targets that had 3 targets grouped together closely and the 4th was several yards away. And I just blazed right on past it..... oops.

Played around with the gun and mags after the match. The Brazos tuned mag just flat out wouldn't work. The rounds were nose diving into the front of the mag every shot. Got home and swapped out another follower and spring set and it appears, at home anyway, that the new setup in the mag works fine. If it doesn't, I'll be sending it back to Bob and have him take care of it; which I know he will, he's a good guy to do biz with.

All in all, I'm glad I'm not shooting a major match in Open till next year!! It's going to be quit the learning curve!

Derrick, now you've got me worried. You know I'm getting my first Open gun this week and Waco will be my first USPSA with it on Nov 15 . I guess I need to spend alot of time dryfiring and at the range the next two weeks are it could be a rough day at the office. If I can ever get rid of this damn sinus infection I'll get to the range.

Edited by baerburtchell

Derrick, now you've got me worried. You know I'm getting my first Open gun this week and Waco will be my first USPSA with it on Nov 15 . I guess I need to spend alot of time dryfiring and at the range the next two weeks are it could be a rough day at the office. If I can ever get rid of this damn sinus infection I'll get to the range.

Oh hell yeah. I didn't have a hard time on the dot from any of the starts from the holster. But the table start was tough on the dot on the first shot or two. And the off handed shooting was really tough. So yeah, dry fire like crazy and work on technique!

even with all that anguish, you still made the top 10 overall. Didn't you? ;)

Beats me, I never got a chance to look, with everyone cuttin' in line! ;) Jim told me I was DFL, and the way I shot I figured that was about right! :ph34r:

And oh, that ain't anguish! Just a harsh learning curve. ;)

Better effort today, although to be completly honest, I'm just playing at this point, getting used to the dot.

Gun ran 100%, shot my own loads today and managed to not blow myself up. Who knew there was THAT much powder in a case!!

Stockton managed a tweak on the Brazos tuned mag spring - after I replaced the internals that came with it - and seemed to get it to work - ran 10 rounds through the mag after the match and ran 100%. Prior to Stockton's tweaking, it wouldn't shoot more the 4 or 5 at one time before nosediving into the feed ramp/top of the mag.

Struggling a bit with seeing what I need to see. Even though everything is happening faster, I'm seeing a lot more. brass in the air, the slide cycling back and forth the dot on the target I'm shooting and then checking back on a target I'd just shot, but hadn't called the shot. (and got good hits on both targets) That was decidedly wierd.

Also struggling a bit to find my index - cost me some time on several of the stages when I went to shoot and the dot was not there...

All in all, a really pretty day at the range, surrounded by friends and with a gun that ran 100%.

Don't get much better than that.

IDPA match today, spent more time helping the new folks than really paying attention to my shooting. Went first every stage and then ran the rest of the shooters with a short break or two to load mags.... Shot the 9mm 1911 in ESP... That gun is almost like cheatin!!

Really pretty day at the range, one of those days where you are just happy to be outdoors, regardless of what you're doing. :cheers:

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I think I'm done messin' with open for a while....

Another frustrating match of nose dives from my little stick mags. big stick ran fine. I just don't feel cut out for a gun that I've got to be so nit picky about!! I just want to shoot without worrying if I missed a super comp case, a TJ case, or a RL case.....

Gads.