Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Us National Steel Championship

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does it seem like the times are faster here than they are at the Steel Challenge Match in California?

glock17w

The extra visibility on the berms helped a lot. Some of the RO's also went out of their way to be predictable on the buzzer as well. Next time they may be less so, as there was some creeping and jumping going on.

btw, anybody pick up an extra CR Speed inner belt in the parking lot? We seem to be short one.

Some of the RO's also went out of their way to be predictable on the buzzer as well.

Boy, I sure was noticing that from the videos. That is often an issue with SC in general.

I'm a big fan of the random start on the timers for just this reason.

It was pretty good. I know the high 30's were still picking guns and high 80's or 90's were getting certificates or product equal to the entry fee.

Plus they gave away a few guns via raffle from the side matches.

Guys and Gals, this match rocked! :)

Everyone was polite, helpful, and the range was well suited for this kind of match....well, except for the wildlife..... :angry:

The match staff busted their butts for almost a week getting the match set up and it was noticed and appreciated. I also want to throw a shout out to Todd Jarrett for being there as well helping to make the match a success!

It was a really enjoyable match(except for the chili.... ;) ), and the prize table was one the best I have seen, especially for the first year! Further Kudos go out to Smith and Wesson and Tactical Solutions for their unparalleled sponsorship of the match. Classy to say the least.

I will definitely make this match next year!

Regards,

Doug Carden

Those videos are fun to watch -- thanks!

Now, I have one question.....what the hell is with that weird stance Jerry is using?? (It obviously works for him and he shot a great match, but it looks like he's on water skis!)

Edited by Carmoney

Now, I have one question.....what the hell is with that weird stance Jerry is using?? (It obviously works for him and he shot a great match, but it looks like he's on water skis!)

BJ usually goes over to practice with Jerry & Kay a couple of times before Steel Challenge. Jerry was working on that stance before last year's Steel Challenge. He claims that it takes less time to get the gun up into his sight line because of a shorter arc.

He said he was consistently shooting his best times that way.

Like the others stated - This was a very good match.

Derek, Mike and Todd did a great job setting up the match and working it.

The Match Staff and the RO's I meet were friendly and helpful.

For an Inagural Match I feel the Volunteers and Sponsors did a great job - Thanks!

For those interested - here's a few pictures of what a couple of the stages looked like:

img3445ot7.th.jpg

img3449sl9.th.jpg

img3455qr0.th.jpg

img3444td9.th.jpg

img3443fb5.th.jpg

I thought maybe the targets were just set more uphill than Jerry was used to shooting. Interesting what he says about the "shorter arc" and all.

Years ago, Jerry Barnhart used to shoot from surrender start by coming down & forward with his hands and at the same time punching his hips & holster up and forward. Maybe he discovered something on the timer like Jerry M is doing now.

First off, sorry this post is so late, been busy since getting back from the USNSC……

FYI:

Those of you asking about a practice range:

After the match on each day (Wed, Thurs, Fri), the stages will be opened up for practice. I think $10-$15 per day to practice, and the stages will probably open up around 1:00 and you can shoot until 6:30 or so, but you'll have to get confirmation on those times at the match.

Rebecca

Jeez...I hope this isn't the case, getting nickeled and dimed at every turn now <_< .

My conversation with Derek a couple weeks ago was practice Tuesday (steel should be set

up by then) and after shootings done on match days, no mention of any "fee".

And yes Shred, much cheaper than Cali.

Now that I think of it ?? do you pay to practice at the California SC ?? I've only been once.

Second, I need to apologize for my original statement above, I didn’t really think about what I wrote and after

tallying up what a trip like this costs and then worrying about a $10 a day range fee was pretty small

minded on my part.

Plus the fact that it all went to the hosting club was not known either, sorry, I can be a cheap SOB at times :unsure:

The match went on great IMO for a first year effort, Derek and Mike did a great job but I can’t say enough

about all the work Todd Jarret did and the professionalism of the RO’s and score keepers. Todd worked his butt

off building things and setting up the stages and ripping out weeds and such to make sure this was a first rate match.

They did succeed and even after all the hard work Todd posts a 2nd place win !! amazing !

The RO’s did an awesome job, my biggest fear was that this was going to be an expensive “club match” being

that it was a their first effort but I was happily wrong, the RO’s worked the line just the way it should be done for a

match of the caliber this one can become.

My thanks and praise goes out to all those who worked the match, it was a little sparse on worker bee’s at the

beginning of the week but by match time they were there. Thank you for all your hard work.

To those that congratulated me, Thanks, wish I had done a little better but hey, there’s always next year :D

If you were on the fence about attending this 1st USNSC you missed a great shoot, don't miss out next year.