Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Us National Steel Championship

The first annual US National Steel Championship will be held in Titusville, Florida March 15-18, 2007.

Check out: www.ussteelshoot.com

This is going to be a great match and is sanctioned by the Steel Challenge Shooting Association. Expect cash payouts and a great prize table. It will also be filmed by Jim Scoutten for an episode on Shooting USA.

Hope to see many of you there!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I looked and didn't see how many stages and how many total rounds fired. Is that firmed up uet?

you could go to www.steelchallenge.com to see the stages for the world shoot. = 8 stages now some of them are over 25 years old most have had some changes over the years.

Outer Limits used to have the targets set back at 40 yards and the 12" targets at 25 - now they are at 35 & 20

If I remeber five to go used to be on 8" targets now it is on 10"

Check out the scores and you will see what a (Fast) time is for each stage.

I love to hate it <_< or do I hate to love it? = It is like Love Hi & Low on the same day

B)

I believe they're all over in the Steel Challenge section of this site, but the general theme is one box, five plates, and five strings each, hitting the stop plate last each string. Drop your 1 worst string per stage and total the scores. Lowest total time wins.

The exceptions are Outer Limits, which has two boxes you have to move between during the string, for best 3 of 4 runs, and Showdown which has two boxes you only change between strings, 3 strings from one box, 2 from the other.

Hey guys, I've got word that TJ, the Army team, JJ, Phil S, Chris T and most other top shooters are gonna be there. This is a great chance for somebody who doesn't normally shoot Steel Challenge to try it out at what is shaping up to be a great match with a great prize table.

Hi All,

Just a note to let you know that this match is really shaping up to be great! Just spoke to Derek and he said there is over $30,000 committed for the prize table and at least 20 guns, So Far! I know many of the top shooters will be there, so if you have never had the chance to attend the Steel Challenge in California, this is a great chance to give it a try AND see the fastest shooters in the world!

Register ASAP! www.ussteelshoot.com

Jack,

You should go ahead and let him shoot. It is a completely different game with it's own set of pressures and challenges. If you are not shooting and just watching John, be prepared for your own case of nerves!

Last summer BJ's older brother, Kyle, went with us to California to watch BJ shoot. Right before the first stage Kyle told me he was about ready to go puke in the berm because he was so nervous and couldn't do anything about it.

Jack,

For a first timer shooting the Steel Challenge course of fire, it is all about sight picture and trigger control.

How does your son do at shooting poppers in USPSA matches. If it can shoot poppers reasonably well he can do fine at the steel challenge.

You can do some simple practice using a plate rack if available or using paper plates.

Sight picture and transition to the next target are the key.

Alan

Jack,

For a first timer shooting the Steel Challenge course of fire, it is all about sight picture and trigger control.

How does your son do at shooting poppers in USPSA matches. If it can shoot poppers reasonably well he can do fine at the steel challenge.

You can do some simple practice using a plate rack if available or using paper plates.

Sight picture and transition to the next target are the key.

Alan

Aparently, they tried it a few Steel Challenge stages at Camp Shootout last summer. John was shooting LTD though so it was a little harder for him. But he said he really enjoyed it. Open has really changed the game for him and he is having more fun with it.

He really enjoys shooting steel. Especially Texas Stars. I think it might be a fun thing for us to do. I am working on scheduling right now, especailly with his school. His teachers are VERY supportive of his shooting and we have already planned a few matched that will require him to miss school. Its tempting, VERY tempting. I might set a couple of the stages up this weekend just to get a feel for them. My worry is going there "blind." I have never shot a Steel Challenge so I would not know what to tell him to do. At least I know IPSC and can coach him that way. But this is completely new to me. Unfortuantely, I don't know anyone around here that has done it that I would want him to work with him.

I'll think it over over the weekend. Then, I need to talk to "the Boss." Thanks for the feedback.

Jack,

If you decide to go to the match, there is a whole area here on Enos for the steel challenge stages. Those Steel Challenge posts have recommendations on the order of target engagement.

Alan

Thanks, Alan. I will check them out. Just curious though - do any of them require reloads? I ask because John still has to release mags with his left hand and then grab a fresh one (his hands are still too small to be able to hit the release with his strong hand). Would that be too much of a handicap for him (he's 13)? I don't want him to get frustrated and turned off on it if simple things will cause him problems.

Ammo is downloaded, right? At what PF would a person load a super with 124s? How about a 40 with 180s (in case the old man decides to try it too? thanks.

Jack

Edited by Jack Suber

The Steel Challenge stages are 5 targets/string 5 strings, throw out the worst run, keep the best four. Soo if he loads 15 rounds minimum and then change mags between runs, off the clock he will do fine.

Down load to about a 135-140 pf and ensure the gun functions.

There is a bunch of data here or use published data that is available.

What powder(s) do you use or have on hand?

Outer Limits doe have movement between boxes and if I remeber corectly there was another stage that also had movement. THe movement is minimal 3-5yds. Side to side on Outer Limites and forward on the other one.

Alan

The Steel Challenge stages are 5 targets/string 5 strings, throw out the worst run, keep the best four. Soo if he loads 15 rounds minimum and then change mags between runs, off the clock he will do fine.

Outer Limits doe have movement between boxes and if I remeber corectly there was another stage that also had movement. THe movement is minimal 3-5yds. Side to side on Outer Limites and forward on the other one.

Alan

Cool. You have about got me talked into it. I'll definitely talk it over with the boss tonight. Thanks for all of the feedback.

You can go to www.steelchallenge.com and see the stages the match will be using.

And don't forget about the 22 portion of the match on Thursday, great way to get

accustemed to the stages and what's required.

Also, you do need a holster for the centerfire shooting, not sure if you knew that.

(22's start at a low ready/in your hands type start)

Alan

Alan,

Spoke with Derek a little while ago and he almost has me talked into it. Currently, John is shooting a STI 38 Super, 124 Grn MGs with 7625 (currently 7.8 grns), loaded to about 169PF. He is a small guy so he looks funny holding such a big gun. However, he is safe and he is accurate. Derek has suggested that we might want to switch his powder to 4756 for IPSC. So, I have that powder too - just haven't tried it yet.

I shoot Limited - an STI 40, 180 grn using Titegroup loaded to 169PF. If minor is the ticket, I think I would go with Clays. I have both a heavy gun (full-dust cover and slide, bull barrel) and a light gun (full dust-cover with lightened slide - I can interchange either a bushing or bull-barrel on that gun). Your thoughts?

Given the time we have, what stages would you practice - no way I could practice them all. Thanks.

Jack

Jack,

In shooting steel challenge you want to use the lighter gun.

For your .40 Hodgdon shows a load of 3.0 grains clays as a starting point. makes about a 130 pf.

For the .38 Super you might try 4.4 grains of Titegroup with the 124.

The stages I would recommend to practice are

Outer Limits

Speed Option

Five to go

Showdown

Those are probably the four hardest stages in the steel challenge.

You can get the stage diagrams from Steelchallenge website

If you do not have access to steel, get some 18x24 cardboard and use butcher paper or cut the A/B zones off of the USPSA and use the white side as a substitute for the 18 X 24 rectangles.

While it is nice to hear the ring of the steel if you can practice calling the shots you will be faster as waiting for the feeedback from the steel will slow you down.

Alan

Jack,

In shooting steel challenge you want to use the lighter gun.

For your .40 Hodgdon shows a load of 3.0 grains clays as a starting point. makes about a 130 pf.

For the .38 Super you might try 4.4 grains of Titegroup with the 124.

The stages I would recommend to practice are

Outer Limits

Speed Option

Five to go

Showdown

Those are probably the four hardest stages in the steel challenge.

You can get the stage diagrams from Steelchallenge website

If you do not have access to steel, get some 18x24 cardboard and use butcher paper or cut the A/B zones off of the USPSA and use the white side as a substitute for the 18 X 24 rectangles.

While it is nice to hear the ring of the steel if you can practice calling the shots you will be faster as waiting for the feeedback from the steel will slow you down.

Alan

Thanks, Alan. We have plentyh of steel at our club so that won't be a problem. Never thought about Titegroup in the Super. Got plenty of that. My minor 40 load is 3.1 of Clays - that is what I started John with in Limited when he first started shooting. Its a SWEEET load. Thanks for the feedback.

Jack