Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Not To Shoot Indoors

So we had our annual Santa Shoot on the 23rd at my club up here in BC. as normal we had all manner of politically incorrect targets to shoot at (anything to do with the season and then some).

One of our LEO members brought out a neat little 3 D cell size, battery pack, lithium ion to be precise. He'd heard they flamed up when shot. Since we often have LE Units using flash bangs and such on our indoor range we figured a little bang and some fire from the battery pack wouldn't be a big deal. Boy were we wrong. the first shot got a little flame, and some smoke as the first cell fell out of the pack. The 2nd shot got the next cell and more fire and smoke. the last shot got a huge fireball and a spinning flaming battery, putting out tons of smoke. within 3 minutes we had to evacuate the range as we could not see or breathe very well. the range is 50ft wide and 90ft deep, with a 12 ft open ceiling and a 20 ft peaked roof. all the doors were opened and 20 minutes later we could go back in. one battery was still burning so out the door it went, only to burst back into a big fire when it landed in a puddle. The concrete floor actually had a small area scorched through the smooth top coat. We are going to have to patch that, as the main club is going to be pissed at me.

Needless to say it was an experiment gone wrong. We'll be shooting these things outdoor from now on, with rifles, from at least 100 yds. the LEO says he has some near new ones with almost a full charge in them, and we expect them to really react.

I'll post some pics once my other forum is back up and I can grab the addy's.

The smoke from the battery pack is deadly poison and all who breathed it must have the antidote within 48 hours or all their future children will be born naked. I am familiar with this type of poison and have a stock of the antidote on hand...for sale. Please call me immediately for payment details at BR-549. B)

This kinda reminds me of the saying, "Hey ya'll, watch this!"

My thoughts exactly... <_<

...Edit to add-I cannot recall the last time I saw someone reference Hee-Haw :-)

Edited by Pharaoh Bender

Got this from my friend's father.

Turning 17, my friend's dad agreed to let him drink some beer on their annual fishing trip to Florida. They were on one of those big "party boats" with about 80 other fishmen when my buddy's virginal digestive system started reacting to the combination of beer and a rocking boat.

About 15 minutes into his rail-hugging puke fest, some man with a beer in his hand clapped him on the shoulder and loudly announced, "Son, if you see yer nuts going by, start swallerin' real fast!" He groaned and turned around to see who's hand was clamped on his shoulder and there was Junior Samples grinning at him. :lol:

Lithium Ion smoke & byproducts aren't really good for you.. A while back an experimental pack went up while charging overnight and we had to get the Haz Mat dudes in suits to clean it all up. The amount of explosive energy stored in a little cell-phone battery can be impressive. Filling it with black powder and a fuse would only be marginally more powerful.

yeah we kind of figured that heavy, white, choking smoke wasn't good for us ;)

one of our guys works for the workers compensation board up here and he did some research and told us that because we left quickly enough we don't have anything to worry about.

If only one of you folks had been paying attention to the computer geek discussions of the sony battery recalls, or a flashlight geek and the debate over CR123 lithium cells, or an RC helicopter geek in on the debate regarding the lithium polymer cells, you would known that wasn't a good idea.

I'm gald nobody was hurt and that your range wasn't permanantly harmed. Sounds like you didn't get a worse case scenario.

As for the 100yd rifle shooting, you are definitely talking a fire hazard, keep that in mind and don't go starting any wildfires.

As for the rest of the shooting of odd things.. looks like a blast until you ahve to clean the range up.

no worries on fires on our outdoor range, it's a big clay wall with a waterfall down one side.

I'd heard about Li batteries exploding from overcharging heating etc. But never paid much attention to it. The guy that brought them told us he was told they might flare up a bit. None of us expected what we got.

Even with the fire, it was fun. As you can see from the smiles and laughing in the pics.