Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2008 Draft Rules Have Been Posted

BritinUSA

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant believe noone has posted replies to this as of yet. :huh:

There is alot of interesting stuff going on here. I see alot of items I really like, and then again I see a few thigns I totally dont agree with.

MY LIKES

• We have finaly changed back to the ENGLISH system of measurment (thank you very much)! No more anti-christ metric system. :) (ie: Faults lines ... must rise at least 1.5 inches above ground level)
  • They reinstated multiple no-shoot penalties. Hey, you shot 'em .... You earned 'em! ;)
  • Easing the prohibition on sighting devices. Come on, a water bottle ???
  • Recognition of MIL & LE catagories once again.
  • Can’t shoot your way out of procedurals.
  • Bring back the up-side-down targets !!! :lol: :lol:
  • Allowing Level I matches to have long-field courses more than 32 rds.
  • Allowing synthetic target (at local matches). Lots of clubs start up at indoor ranges and therefore can't always shoot steel indoors.

DIS-LIKES

• 3 LB Trigger Pull & the procedure for measuring it.
  • Division status must be achieved before Classes are recognized.
    Local and State/Section.... A minimum of 5 competitors per Class (recommended)
    Area and Nationals ........... A minimum of 10 competitors per Class (mandatory)
  • Recognizing MULTIPLE catagories for each competitor. Theoreticaly you could be a Senior, Female, Military, LE, etc. & receive an award for each catagory as well, as class / division ! :huh:

Not quite sure how I feel bout the No More Shortcuts rule ..... I guess it's better to have it as a rule, than an occasional COF requirement, that is poorly enforced at best. But I can also see some real questionable calls happening on this one.

Also not sure how I feel about the need for a "box" for Production & Single Stack.

But all in all, I see alot of simplifying, clarifications, and general "sprucing up" with the new 2008 rules.

Edited by CHRIS KEEN

*They reinstated multiple no-shoot penalties. Hey, you shot 'em .... You earned 'em!

*Easing the prohibition on sighting devices. Come on, a water bottle ???

*Bring back the up-side-down targets !!!

It's about time. Flex waited out the storm, and now his avatar is fashionable again :D

I posted some questions on the USPSA forums, I suggest everyone put there feedback there.

I did like the new rules for disabled shooters particularly allowing the RM to specify the procedural errors and even eradicating them if they so decide. Nice touch :)

I cant believe noone has posted replies to this as of yet. :huh:

There is alot of interesting stuff going on here. I see alot of items I really like, and then again I see a few thigns I totally dont agree with.

MY LIKES

• We have finaly changed back to the ENGLISH system of measurment (thank you very much)! No more anti-christ metric system. :) (ie: Faults lines ... must rise at least 1.5 inches above ground level)
  • They reinstated multiple no-shoot penalties. Hey, you shot 'em .... You earned 'em! ;)
  • Easing the prohibition on sighting devices. Come on, a water bottle ???
  • Recognition of MIL & LE catagories once again.
  • Can’t shoot your way out of procedurals.
  • Bring back the up-side-down targets !!! :lol: :lol:
  • Allowing Level I matches to have long-field courses more than 32 rds.
  • Allowing synthetic target (at local matches). Lots of clubs start up at indoor ranges and therefore can't always shoot steel indoors.

DIS-LIKES

• 3 LB Trigger Pull & the procedure for measuring it.
  • Division status must be achieved before Classes are recognized.
    Local and State/Section.... A minimum of 5 competitors per Class (recommended)
    Area and Nationals ........... A minimum of 10 competitors per Class (mandatory)
  • Recognizing MULTIPLE catagories for each competitor. Theoreticaly you could be a Senior, Female, Military, LE, etc. & receive an award for each catagory as well, as class / division ! :huh:
  • Failure to keep the finger outside the trigger guard during loading, reloading, or unloading. Exception: while
    complying with the “load and make ready command” to lower the hammer of a gun without a decocking lever. :huh: :huh:

Not quite sure how I feel bout the No More Shortcuts rule ..... I guess it's better to have it as a rule, than an occasional COF requirement, that is poorly enforced at best. But I can also see some real questionable calls happening on this one.

Also not sure how I feel about the need for a "box" for Production & Single Stack.

But all in all, I see alot of simplifying, clarifications, and general "sprucing up" with the new 2008 rules.

I tend to agree with most of your likes and dislikes.

trigger pull, holster/mag locations, and shortcuts come to mind as three very strong annoyances with this new rulebook...that and my dropping from Senior to the rest of the pack. Now I have to wait three more years to be a senior again!

I'm not sure I like the new 9.9.4

9.9.4 Engaging appearing targets prior to activation will incur a procedural penalty per shot fired up to the maximum number of available hits

Doesn't this fundamentally violate freestyle? If a target shouldn't be shot prematurely then the onus is on the stage designer to prevent this.

If the gun goes off during the load process then it's a DQ. I don't think that has changed.

Yeah, I agree. An AD during LAMR is still a DQ. The rewrite of the rule is there to allow for a one-off instance where finger inside the trigger guard is permitted.

If the gun goes boom while the hammer is being lowered it is a DQ. This was clarified later in the 10 series of rules. The intent was to protect the shooter while they lowered the hammer, to get the gun into starting condition, assuming they did it safely.

Gary

So, in reading some of the production changes, I am wondering if the holster requirements are going to restrict the DOH holster (not by name but by requiring the front strap to be at or above the belt)? Did I read this correctly? I'll have to take a look at my rig, but this seems like what will be a hot topic.

2.1.8.5 Activated appearing targets must be designed and constructed so as to be obscured to the competitor (during the course of fire) prior to activation.

First of all, this sentence doesn’t make sense. If you drop the word “Activated” and start the sentence with “Appearing” you may have something. Also, what constitutes activation; when the activator is engaged, or when the appearing target begins to move? This question may be more relevent to 2.1.8.5.1. Depending on the definition of "activation", 2.1.8.5.1 leaves open the possibility of putting hits on an appearing target before it moves, even though the activator has been "activated".

4.1.4.2 Cover provided merely to obscure targets is considered soft cover.

This rule states that a target that is “obscured” is behind soft cover. Are “obscured” appearing targets in 2.1.8.5 behind soft cover too? If 2.1.8.5 is changed to:

2.1.8.5 Appearing targets must be designed and constructed so as to be hidden to the competitor (during the course of fire) prior to activation.

This wording better coordinates with the wording in 4.1.4.1 and 4.1.4.2.

The proposed rule changes have done a much better job of addressing some of the issues that the clubs have to deal with at their local matches. ;)

Edited by omnia1911

The "no more short cut rule" 10.2.11 sounds an awful lot like the old "shooting box rule".

Is someone feeling a little nostalgic for the convenience of the shooting box as a check against unfettered freestyle? :P

It is a little comical that we get this:

1.1.5 Freestyle – USPSA matches are freestyle.

Then, we get a 76 page rule book on everything we can and can't do in USPSA matches.

Edited by omnia1911

EVERYBODY----If you have an opinion about the proposed 2008 USPSA rules,

get yer butt over to the USPSA site and express yourself. The more the merrier!

Bill :D

+infinity....we can post here until we are blue in the face and it will mean nothing. Go there and comment. It may not/probably won't do much, but it lets them know we are interested, involved and vocal.

And it reminds them that we vote....

As I read it in the Presidents column of the new Front Sight is that for the first time, we the USPSA membership, will have a voice to say how we feel about the proposed rules .... prior to the final vote.

Let's take advantage of this unique opportunity, and make ourselves heard. :)