Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brassmanbrass.com

SIXXgun

Strangely, I too am not able to get to the site with the supplied link. I get the server not found message also. Perhaps the other members are getting a "cached" version of the site and not a new load.

I am using Firefox as well, and have no problems with other sites.

The brassman's DNS seems to be screwed up. A whois shows that his DNS servers are ns1.hotels-online.ws and ns1.point2point.ws, whereas a dig from a Linux box at work shows ns1.brassmanbrass.com and ns2.brassmanbrass.com (the first is at the same IP as brassmanbrass.com). I suspect that he might have better luck making his site available if he changed his DNS registration to match the ns1/ns2, and use a second or tertiary DNS server on a separate machine. Since he hosts his server at Godaddy, this is a service they should be able to provide.

I am not able to resolve brassmanbrass.com from my home system (Comcast), but it does resolve from work. I have made a manual addition to the hosts file on my system at home, and am now able to get to the Brassman without use of DNS.

If you want to set your windows system up to route to it manually, do the following on Windows:

1. Open a command window

2. cd %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\drivers\etc

3. notepad hosts

add the following two lines (the first alone will actually be enouugh:

68.178.197.49 www.brassmanbrass.com

68.178.197.49 brassmanbrass.com

Or, if you are on a Mac, Linux or Unix, make a similar change to "/etc/hosts"

This will hard code the translation from the system name to the IP address and will get you on the site. The only "catch" is that if the Brassman changes web servers, you'll still route to the address you have in your hosts table.

I can't say what settings I changed at the moment, but when I first upgraded (?) to IE 7 (or whatever the latest iteration is), it defaulted to blocking things like guns and violent content. This prevented me from getting to some gunsites I had been able to acquire with the earlier version, but cleared up when I unchecked the filter/control.

I don't know if this is the problem here, but you might want to check on it.

Guy

68.178.197.49... gives me:

Virginia Hotels, Motels, Inns and Resorts

:)

You found the right machine.

That is a shared server, and addressing the server numerically pulls of the default web site (or the de-facto default if the web server is not configured with an explicit default).

You need to make the change in the hosts file that I described and then address it by name. The URL is then passed to the web server which uses the name to determine which of many sites hosted on that machine is the one you are looking for.

I emailed Brassmanbrass, and they are in contact with their web person to get this issue resolved.

I'm glad it's not just me. A couple of my buddies can go right to the website, but I cannot. I hope they get it working right.

Thanks for the tech support Rob - I'll try to crash my way through the steps you outlined. I'm not too proficient with that type of computer stuff, but I can sure burn up the old credit card on gun stuff websites.

JM

Rob - it worked just fine. Thanks. I guess I should print your instructions so if they change their server I will be able to get into the hosts table and delete the two lines I pasted in there. Correct?

JM