Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red dot scope for Bianchi Cup

Dennis Loh

I have noticed that in Bianchi cup competition, majority of the shooters used tube type of scope eg., Aimpoint, Tasco and so forth. Hardly any heads-up display type like C-more.

There must be a reason and I would like to know.

Is it that the tube type is more precise or what?

In my experience the tube type scope is less forgiving of variances in the shooters grip/stance/head postion in that it becomes difficult to locate the dot quickly.  The tubes make this up by having what appears to be a more clearly defined dot.  This, combined with adjustable dot sizes on some tube scopes, makes them better for accuracy work.  They also offer greater durability.

On the other hand a heads up display like the C-More, OKO, or ATN sights offer rapid dot accuistion without the need for the two handed wrist roll to find the dot.  They can also offer great accuracy at the ranges they were designed for.  Most of them are more fragile than the tube scopes but armor is available for some of them.

I haven't spent a lot of time behind a scope, but two things have become pretty obvious the few times I have:  1)  It's easier to pick up the dot on a tube scope - don't ask me why.  2)  The "indexability" of the gun is very dependent on a proper mount installation.  

I played with two virtually identical S_I's one day - one indexed perfectly, the other didn't index at all.  It was all due to the care and attention put into mounting the scope.  

Eric

Actually this is one sport where the Holo sight did well, the engraved reticles could be designed to almost any spec, tombstone reticles, mover dots or even the plain diamond work well (use the points of the diamond for your lead on the mover..works cool if your load matches the lead given)

Also some like to draw there guns by grabbing the scope (right hand barricade) and the tubes lend themselves to this. Judy Woolley taught me that draw back in '92

Pat

Parallax is a problem with Cmores and zeroing and keeping it zeored is too.  We are talking about a lot more precision than needed in USPSA.  Also you really don't want to see more than the target in NRA action pistol, it's not a dynamic sport.

JJ

Dennis,

Mostly covered already -

1) The parallax on a Cmore is just not acceptable on a Bianchi Gun.  And the adjustment mechanism is too twinky to allow exact rezeroing between each adjustment.

2) The optics on a modern day Aimpoint or Gilmore scope are far superior to anything else. (I've never personally checked the Holosight for clarity and parallax.)

3) Actually, the tube can assist in centering the gun on the target as well as finding the dot on the first shot.

be

Is great to have such tremendous response to this topic. Most of you have answered my question. I do agree with EricW and BE that it is much easier to locate the dot on a tube especially on the first shot. My experience is that shooting with the tube does not really impair my overall vision as I am looking through the tube most of the time unless if I am engaging really close target say 5 yds and below.

I will use the sihouette of the tube as a guide. This is also where the 'awareness exercise' by BE comes into play as well. Will stick to the tube type for now.

• 2 years later...

One of the reasons I'd go with a tubed scope is because of the barricade event. I'm left handed, but when shooting from the left side of the barricade, I'd grab the scope tube and pull the gun out, then grip the gun with my right hand. My left hand would hold the barrel/shroud against the barricade as my right hand pulled the trigger.

Just works better for me.