Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beginner Pistol

tazz45acp

My daughter would like to start shooting. I need ideas on what to get her.

She has average hands for a 13 year old (if this helps). And about 5'4"

It's been so long since I shot a 9mm. Is there much difference in recoil between a 9 and a .40?

Thanks All, Rob.

After a whole bunch of reading on this forum, I bought my 13 yr old daughter the XD-9.

I looked at Glocks, CZs, S&W M&Ps. The XD fit her hand well, (she's 5'5" and can activate all controls easily) and I found a great deal on the USPSA classifieds. They show up from time to time there and on Enos classifieds that have already had the Canyon Creek trigger job. The trigger job is not a MUST HAVE until you shoot one that has it. Then it quickly becomes a MUST HAVE item.

Have her try as many as you can. You can down- gauge 40's, but can't up-gauge 9's.

I have several 40's and didn't want to mess with one more gun to load for in the same caliber. I'm running out of colors to mark my brass.

Have her try as many as you can. You can down- gauge 40's, but can't up-gauge 9's.

You can download 9mm too. Try a 147 gr with a fast powder, poof poof

I think its a wash with the recoil in factory ammo with 9mm having an edge with lighter bullets but teaching technique will help any problems. I see a lot of 101 lb people do just fine.

I usually start people on a .22 but it depends on her previous experience and goals. You eventually need a 9mm if you want to shoot competition and any of them will get you in most of the matches out there.

Ditto on the .22. I started both my sons with my trusty-rusty HiStandard Victor, then had to sell it to get gear for them. Then they graduated to Glock 17s (production division) then Glock 22's setup for limited.

If I had to do it over again, I'd get them XD 9mms because the grip shape is more comfortable for smaller hands.

Being as you are in the peoples republic of ca.

Your choices may be somewhat limited.

If you and or she are set on a 9/40/38s ect

Take her to a gun shop and let her hold everything they have, find what fits her hand.

The Glock fits my sons hand better than an XD or 1911, wish it didnt. Really wanted an excuse to build myself uh I mean him a 9mm 1911 or ad an XD to the safe.

But I would agree with the above buy a 22 cal. pistol, great place to start.

Please fit the gun to your daughter, not the other way around. Her hand size and general ergonomics should be your #1 concern. Seriously consider the M&P (my 1st choice) or the XD for their small grip sizes and ease of reaching the controls..

Personally, I agree with Flex about the 22. Buy a Ruger MkII and a nylon holster and let her go to town with that first.

That's Great, But what would your daughter like too shoot!

Remember she will be holding the firearm and sometimes style is important.

You can try different guns used by fellow shooters or rent guns for her to try out.

Have a plan of action once she chooses a style, and let her try it out, then say well to get here you should start with this, a smaller frame or caliber, and then work into her choice.

Having a goal is a way to keep them on course as it changes, other things come up like boys and who knows what can change there interest.

My girl started with a model 29, but worked up with a Beretta 22. Each kid is different.

The grandkids now shoot the same guns.

I have a 13-year old daughter also and she has been shooting small bore rifle matches the past two years. She started out shooting a handgun by begging me to let her shoot my .45 1911. She shot it a 2-3 times, no more than 10-12 rounds at a time and did well with it and she said she loved it. She decided that she wanted to shoot Flex's steel match with it and the results were disastrous. It was clearly too much gun too soon for her and she has much to "unlearn" as we move forward. I have a Ruger Mk II .22 and that is what she is going to work with in 2007. Luckily she has a great attitude and desire to shoot, so I think we can get her back on track.

Please fit the gun to your daughter, not the other way around. Her hand size and general ergonomics should be your #1 concern. Seriously consider the M&P (my 1st choice) or the XD for their small grip sizes and ease of reaching the controls..

Personally, I agree with Flex about the 22. Buy a Ruger MkII and a nylon holster and let her go to town with that first.

Yes, what fits her is #1. She has a ruger 10-22 and does pritty good. A little long but she likes it.

When we get a chance we're going to shop around for a good fit.

I just was'nt sure about caliber.

Thanks all for your help. Don't stop, it will be a couple of months befor we get it.

I can allways use advice!!!

Rob

Edited by tazz45acp

I've taught quite a number of "kids" to shoot a pistol over the years.... and in my experience there is no place better to start than a good quality .22.

I use a Ruger semi-auto and a S & W model 63 revolver..... when they can shoot those well... they get promoted.

In fact that holds true for adults too.... Almost every month I see a new shooter with a sub-compact .45 or .40. that has had no training on the fundementals.... and has developed lots of bad habits.

There was nothing quite as small as the Steyr m-9 until:

-the S&W M&P 9mm. Grip is tiny and bore axis is low (less recoil "flip"). And 9mm can be loaded way way down w/ 147s.

I still love Steyr, but the M&P is a lot more likely to show up at the local shop. But please get the one W/O the stupid magazine disconect. Its not good for new shooters (or ROs).

Also, a friend's fiancee shot an all-steel CZ until the switch to glock 17; apparently the actual weight of the gun mattered to her quite a bit. ANother plus for the M&P.

This morning I had my daughter play with the XD9 and she had no problems with it. Shea is 11 and she liked it! Or you can just break down and get her an STI and have Jim Sahahan do awesome grips for her. Shea also liked shooting the 9mm 1911!

Like Nemo and the others I started Shea on a Ruger 22/45 pistol. .22 first than move her to a 1911 or an XD!

post-3486-1165419566.jpg

This morning I had my daughter play with the XD9 and she had no problems with it. Shea is 11 and she liked it! Or you can just break down and get her an STI and have Jim Sahahan do awesome grips for her. Shea also liked shooting the 9mm 1911!

Like Nemo and the others I started Shea on a Ruger 22/45 pistol. .22 first than move her to a 1911 or an XD!

A 9mm 1911? Is it a smaller version of full size?? Who makes is it?

And if I could afford an STI, I would have one!!!!!

Cool thought!

A buddy of mine is going to let her shoot several pistols of his so we can "size" her and see how she does with different amounts of recoil. Nothing to big, just so she can judge for herself.

Please keep the help coming. So far it's all been great!

Thanks all Rob

Edited by tazz45acp

There are a few Cali-friendly 9mm 1911s. Kimber sells one, as does Springfield and Para. The Para is double stack, and therefore likely wouldn't be the best choice given her small hands.

The 9mm 1911s, coupled with a short trigger, should work well for her. Like others have said, however, let her try a lot of different pistols to find one that works for her.

My daughter would like to start shooting. I need ideas on what to get her.

She has average hands for a 13 year old (if this helps). And about 5'4"

It's been so long since I shot a 9mm. Is there much difference in recoil between a 9 and a .40?

Thanks All, Rob.

My police department recently switched to the M&P. I used it in the production div. I LOVE THIS PISTOL! Very little recoil and with the different sized grips it makes it easy to fit your hand.

• 3 weeks later...

Since she already has a 22 and is shooting, it sounds like this next pistol is to step up to and possibly shoot competitively with. I would have her look at three pistols initially, the Glock 17, XD 9mm 5", and the S&W M&P 9mm 4". It will all come down to how big her hand is. Out of the three, the M&P seems to have the best recoil control because of the built in beavertail.

I would stick to the polymer framed guns because they are lighter. Until she is shooting a lot and has developed her deltoid and forearm muscles, 3+ hours of shooting a match with a steel framed gun will be bad towards the end. It's usually just too much weight.