Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Impressions

Merlin Orr

I thought mine was supposed to be in the same batch shipment as the ones that were just released, but it dosent seem so.

Can't figure out what is taking STI / Dawson so frickin long :angry: I'm less than impressed with Dawson's customer service.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ordered my Spartan from Brazos last month and :o, it came in today! The mainspring housing DOES stick out the bottom a bit, so this batch at least, was not addressed. I ran it out to the range and it shot several inches high and an inch to the right. I cranked the rear sight down all the way and im still 2 inches high. I called Chris at STI and he is sending out a taller front sight for it. He said he has seen this issue in at least a few guns in the past, he didnt go into detail other to acknowledge knowing im not the first one to call.

The gun grouped AWESOME, one hole from the bench, no matter what I fed it and it gobbled up FMJ, HP, and SWC. I brought it home and changed the mainspring out to a 17 lb spring and tweaked the sear spring a bit. I dont have a trigger pull gauge but I believe its around 3 lbs now and crisp. I still want to add a S&A magwell to it and maybe change the grips. So far though, im very pleased and consider $600.00 well spent.

On a side note, I asked Chris to send me a plain black front sight instead of another FO. Black seems to be working bvery well for me.

I brought it home and changed the mainspring out to a 17 lb spring and tweaked the sear spring a bit. I dont have a trigger pull gauge but I believe its around 3 lbs now and crisp.

I did the exact same thing. And yes, according to my NRA weight set, the trigger comes in right at 3 pounds even.

• 3 weeks later...
I ordered my Spartan from Brazos last month and :o, it came in today! The mainspring housing DOES stick out the bottom a bit, so this batch at least, was not addressed. I ran it out to the range and it shot several inches high and an inch to the right. I cranked the rear sight down all the way and im still 2 inches high.

Mine does the same thing. Rear bottomed out and shooting about 2 1/2" high. Got a email in to Chris, hopefully he'll send me a taller one also.

Zack

The one I got had the long mainspring housing - or is it a short frame?

I asked TCK about that on his last weekend. I believe he said he'd put an S&A magwell/MSH on it and that it married up just fine. So, the frame would seem to be properly sized.

Anybody else have any feedback on that ?

I asked TCK about that on his last weekend. I believe he said he'd put an S&A magwell/MSH on it and that it married up just fine. So, the frame would seem to be properly sized.

Anybody else have any feedback on that ?

Flex, I was told that the Hole was too low, I have my Spartan Clamped on the HAMMR Rest now, as soon as I finish the testing I'll put an S&A on it and take some pics for everyone to see.

Thanks for the Heads up!!

Y

Hello guys!

I was wondering what advice you'll give on changing the FLGR to a tungsten one and improving the trigger pull. How much lbs should the mainspring be? Is the sear spring original STI too? Should we also tweak the this?

Thanks for the inputs!

STI sent me a new Dawson front sight that was .180 (factory was .173) and it still shot high. I called Chris back and he is shipping me out a .200 to try. The front dovetail will not allow another sight to easily slip in. You must fit the sight to the gun. At first I thought the rear sight was not milled low enough into the slide but after more thought and having to remove material from the bottom of the front sight blade, I think they milled the front sight to low. The gun does shoot some incredibly tight groups though and im very anxious to get my sights situated and tune in some handloads.. (PS. front sights are RED locktited in from the factory)

As Flex said, I did install an S&A magwell on my gun and it fits really good with just a scant bit of light between the frame and magwell. I will try to get some pics up tonight.

I believe the mainspring I intsalled is a 17 lb. and I did tweak the sear spring just a bit. Its not a $200.00 trigger job but its definately acceptable and I really dont want less than a 3 lb. trigger on this gun because it may see some use on my hip, away from matches.

Tungston guide rods are not single stack legal from what I have read so mine will remain stock. I did however swap to a 14 lb. recoil spring, shock buffs are on the way.

Edited by TCK

Shot mine in it's first match this weekend & it ran fine. I also had to bottom out my rear sight, but with my jerk, it hits right on at 20yds. I put in a 17# mainspring, a EGW preped sear & tweeked the spring & came in at 2# even.

Shot mine in it's first match this weekend & it ran fine. I also had to bottom out my rear sight, but with my jerk, it hits right on at 20yds. I put in a 17# mainspring, a EGW preped sear & tweeked the spring & came in at 2# even.

So what your saying is that its the jerk thats on the trigger that makes the gun shoot straight? :lol:

It's the jerk on the trigger, not the one behind it that makes it shoot stright. I won the match overall, so maybe jerking on the trigger is'nt such a bad thing.

Congrats!

Here are pics of the magwell, i think its a pretty darn good fit.

gun006.jpg

gun002.jpg

Edited by TCK

That gun looks great. Is that the factory Parkerized finish on there or do you do something to it?

Angel

Thank you,

I refinished the frame with John Norells Moly Resin. The finish on the slide is factory.

• 3 weeks later...

A suggestion for inspection of the lower lugs....

After you shoot a hundred rounds or so check the lower lugs at the front of the link pin. Benny did an after the first case of ammo inspection and, on both mine and Benny's gun, the slide release pin had hammered into the lugs ahead of the link and made an indention. That area has to be re contoured to allow clearance for the slide release pin. I recontured mine by grinding a new contour which allows a little clearance. Mine required about 20 thou. removed in an arc around the front of the link pin. If your gun shows the same clearance problems you will see it easily when you look at the front of the link pin area.

A suggestion for inspection of the lower lugs....

After you shoot a hundred rounds or so check the lower lugs at the front of the link pin. Benny did an after the first case of ammo inspection and, on both mine and Benny's gun, the slide release pin had hammered into the lugs ahead of the link and made an indention. That area has to be re contoured to allow clearance for the slide release pin. I recontured mine by grinding a new contour which allows a little clearance. Mine required about 20 thou. removed in an arc around the front of the link pin. If your gun shows the same clearance problems you will see it easily when you look at the front of the link pin area.

+1

The article in the Blue Press says:

"4 With the gun assembled the front of the full length recoil spring guide rod prodtudes... This is not a function of the length of the guide rod but the way the lower barrel lugs against which the guide rod butts are cut."

Pardon me for protrudin' but my gunsmith says that is an abnormal and undesirable condition; the guide rod should butt against the frame, not the barrel lugs. The quick fix is to bevel the head of the guide to keep it off the lugs.