Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Electronic Ear Protection

mcflyiup

I have a pair from Dillon and have been quite happy. If I ever need to replace them it will be with another pair of Dillons. They are light enough not to be a bother and have enough volume control to be able to hear with plugs in your ears.

I had some Peltors. The skinny ones, can't remember the model... I liked them better than the Dillons I have now. When the Peltor's batteries are going dead they don't amplify any longer... when the Dillon's batteries are going dead they don't shut down any longer! It's always a painful discovery when the Dillon's batts get weak.

Also the Peltors seemed to work better with the buttstock of long guns.

i've got a set of peltor 6S and i think they work fine. the noise rating on them (19nrr dB iirc) is okay but i need to double plug when i'm shooting my open gun or if i'm at a indoor range. i have my eyes on the new pro ears plus series. i heard the ear pads are gel filled hence the higher noise rating. can someone confirm this.....

I have used both the Peltor Tac 6 Series and the Comtac series......the Comtac are the more expensive of the two but is definitely a better set of ear pro than the Tac 6 series....I have been running the Comtac's all of 2006 and I have not had any problems at all.

Allen Webb-VP

Tactical Response Gear

I stopped using electronic ear protection , because I had a few matches (including 1 Area match) where it rained and I instantly became more concerned about my ear muffs, than the stage I was shooting. I ended up just taking them off, and using plugs. But have since switched to regular ear muffs that dont care if they get wet.

FWIW I always managed to dry out the electronic ones, and they did work again, but not so sure they were ever 100%.

This was the same dilemma I had about 8 months ago when I was trying to figure out what to buy. Then I just ended up keeping my regular muffs because I couldn't make my mind up on which to buy. I appreciate all the responses.

As I understand it, Peltors use an electronic "gate" which shuts off for loud noise. The Dillons and ProEars use a "compressor" which achieves noise reduction without shutting off... They seem easier to hear conversation while shooting is going on.

Bill

After having moisture issues with my Peltor 6s electronic ear muffs I upgraded to the Sordin's. They're spendy but work well. If it's warm out I'll just stick with molded plugs. Lately for plate league I've doubled up with the plugs and the Sordins.

I went with the Pro-Slims.

I wish I had waited for the "Plus" model to come out. These are comfortable, lightweight, and work (electronics) very well. Just wish thety were a little higher DB rated.

All-n-all I like'em B)

I sent back some Peltor Tac-7's. Higher DB rating. Nice protection, but a little bulky, and heavier then the Pro-Ears. Also I would lose part of a conversation because of the slow fade back in after shots were fired.

Again....All-n-all not bad.

As of October, Brownells had the Predator Plus and no other Plus models-- the guy I called went and looked in the warehouse to be sure. The Predators aren't bad, but a little less fancy than the rest of the line.