Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Smith & Wesson 627

Chuck Anderson

My mistake on the aluminum body. I havent even mounted mine to a belt yet, just got it a few weeks ago.

My Ranch moonclips fit perfectly on it. I can turn it upside down, shake it and they dont fall off, but they come off easily when you grab them with your hand. Very neat.

It doesnt seem like it will be any problem to clean up the inside edges of the Heathco moonclips.

The O rings will be also be easy enough to replace when needed.

When you look at the cost of 7 shoot the moon clip holders this is close to the same price for a much more efficient set up.

I am going to run a strip of velcro along the inside of the rach and it should grab the inner belt really nice.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you look at the cost of 7 shoot the moon clip holders this is close to the same price for a much more efficient set up.

Uh, actually I think it's twice as expensive. Shoot the Moons are $7 dealer.

But comparing it to all the money spent going to matches, etc., I guess it's no big deal.

Sorry for the innaccuracy, (No Pun intended) :)

I guess its not as close in price as I thought, Dillon gets $17.90 per pair, so I guess thats like $62.65 for 7 + S&H which I'm guessing will probably be around $10.

Shipping is included on the Speedy Rack at $110 which is about $37.35 difference.

I think it is worth the difference because the moonclips aren't going to shift around on your belt, they always stay the same distance apart from each other.

Besides you get to be like Jerry if you have one, and that's PRICELESS!!! :D

I am going to run a strip of velcro along the inside of the rach and it should grab the inner belt really nice.

Paul, mount the rack to the outside of the belt. You will loose clearance between the belt and post if you mount it on the inside and the mating velcro will already be there.

Paul, mount the rack to the outside of the belt. You will loose clearance between the belt and post if you mount it on the inside and the mating velcro will already be there.

I can send mounting instructions if needed, it should have had some with it. :o

DUH! I dont know what I was thinking, of course it will mount to the outside of the belt! :wacko:

DUH! I dont know what I was thinking, of course it will mount to the outside of the belt! :wacko:

You should have received some mounting hardware with it. Did you? :huh:

Yes, it came with bolts and washers, directions and everything. Now I just need to decide which gun belt I am going to tear down to use as my new revolver belt, then I will mount the Speedy rack.

On the subject of the 627, Do they still make the 8 shot 38 supers?

Are the moonclips for the rimmed cartridge 38/357 thinner than the moonclips for the auto rimmed cartridge-38 super?

They have a 38/357 PC in a local gun shop that I am considering, but I think I'd rather have a super.

Edited by Northern Xtreme

I think they might be out of production, but if I remember right there was a second run of the Supers about a year ago. I'll bet Middle Man would know, he works for one of the big firearms wholesalers, you might want to shoot him a PM or email. I think he was the one who told us about them a year ago.

Otherwise, these are available now and then for sale on gunbroker or wherever.

Also, check with JayC here on the forum, he had one for sale awhile ago, don't know if he still has it or not. If so, it's a nice one, shot very little with a Tom Kilhoffer action. JayC is a straight shooter you can trust.

The center hole needs to be smoothed and edges (of the center) of machine cut (Hearthco) clips must be rounded a bit. All of this action is to prevent the clips doing damage to the o-rings. B)

Thanks Haras, after I posted I kinda thought that was the mod since the unit uses O-rings. :wacko:

Are the moonclips for the rimmed cartridge 38/357 thinner than the moonclips for the auto rimmed cartridge-38 super?

They have a 38/357 PC in a local gun shop that I am considering, but I think I'd rather have a super.

Northern Extreme, yes the 38 Super Revo is out of production, I believe the numbers where 300 for

the first run and 200 for the second. As Mike mentioned, you can find them on the auction

sites once in awhile (I did :) )

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Rob experimented with the 9mm but was unable to keep the bullets from tumbleing. He ran 38 Super at the IRC - much better accuracy also.

There is a thread on the 9mm stuff, sort of in the Spring of 2006.

I messed with this concept too, and converted my gun so it would work with both 9mm and .38 Super (it's only minor work to the extractor star).

Mike,

I got my 627-4 last week. It looks to me like the moon clips need work (or replacement) to get this gun to load with 9mm, not the star. 9mm fits the cyl until you add the moon clip. I guess these clips are S&W factory, although I am not sure. Looks like they could be modified to accept 9mm rounds at the correct radius to load this gun. Am I missing something?

Bob;

Check this thread out. Scroll down to Robbie's post for info on what he did to his .38 Super eight shooters.

Thanks, Coach.

I'm gonna polish the inside radius of the star a little and see what that does. It is a hair tight there.

Mike will definitely have the skinny on what to do, I know he did his gun. He seems to be away from the computer for once. Damn holidays interfering with information exchange on the forum! :D:P:D:P

Must have kids, or a family or something. He's just gonna have to get his priorities right. :D:D

Sadly, I spent most of the day at the office. Took a little too much time off earlier in the year, now I gotta pay the price I guess.

Anyway, I have several of those "split" moonclips that came with the gun, those don't work well with the 9mm ammo. The rest of my moons were purchased by its former owner, I'm pretty sure they all came from TK Custom.

Initially, I didn't think 9mm ammo would work in my gun, and was sorta mystified as I heard about people doing this......then finally one day on a whim I took out the extractor and lo and behold, moons loaded with WWB 9mm dropped right in the cylinder!! Bingo, gotta be the extractor. A little radiusing with the dremel, and now I have a .38 Super revolver that shoots just fine with WWB ammo. I've used it in several matches (Production Division, of course) and Sam shot a whole bunch of rounds through it at the Big Dawg Steel match back in July, and it worked great. I did have to increase tension on the mainspring just a skoshe (sp?) so it would always light up the Win. primers, but that's no biggie.

Remember, now that the littlel pins are no longer used to hold the star in place, the fit of the extractor star partly controls timing, don't get too carried away with the grinder or you'll have a gun that carries up late.

Fun stuff!

Sadly, I spent most of the day at the office. Took a little too much time off earlier in the year, now I gotta pay the price I guess.

Anyway, I have several of those "split" moonclips that came with the gun, those don't work well with the 9mm ammo. The rest of my moons were purchased by its former owner, I'm pretty sure they all came from TK Custom.

Initially, I didn't think 9mm ammo would work in my gun, and was sorta mystified as I heard about people doing this......then finally one day on a whim I took out the extractor and lo and behold, moons loaded with WWB 9mm dropped right in the cylinder!! Bingo, gotta be the extractor. A little radiusing with the dremel, and now I have a .38 Super revolver that shoots just fine with WWB ammo. I've used it in several matches (Production Division, of course) and Sam shot a whole bunch of rounds through it at the Big Dawg Steel match back in July, and it worked great. I did have to increase tension on the mainspring just a skoshe (sp?) so it would always light up the Win. primers, but that's no biggie.

Remember, now that the littlel pins are no longer used to hold the star in place, the fit of the extractor star partly controls timing, don't get too carried away with the grinder or you'll have a gun that carries up late.

Fun stuff!

I took the extractor out with the same result as before. The loaded clips will not fit in the cylinder. An hours worth of carefull dremel work on one of the moon clips and they are begining to drop in. I think the moon clips are the problem. The individual rounds drop in the gun just fine. These are the moon clips that came with the gun. Are these factory or aftermerket?

Bob, I believe those are the factory clips. I have a few of those too, presumably the ones that came with the gun. Anyway, they don't work well with the 9mm idea, I gave up trying with them.

The moonclips that work with 9mm are "solid" (rather than "split") style clips. I think mine came from TK Custom, but I'm not really sure. DougC would know, he's the one that bought them.

Bob,

I also did the 9mm Conversion on my 38 super, Mine works well with moon clips I purchased from Brownells. The factory ones dont work well with the 9mm. As for the Dremel work on the star --go slow,as Mike mentioned. Some brands of ammo seem to fit better in the clips so you might have to experiment to find the best fit.