Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Smith & Wesson 627

Chuck Anderson

All right, Jerry V bugged me enough that I picked up a PC 627 to shoot. Now what do I need to do to it? I won't get it for a week or two but if I need to get some parts/equipment I might as well start now.

Ideally I would like to shoot this as a 9mm because that's what I shoot in Production anyway. I just don't want to have to convert the press over to .38, or .38 Short Colt, or anything else that I don't have stuff for already. What's required for the new converson, new cylinder or just ream it. Any left coast recommendations for the work? I've heard of Randy Lee and Apex Tactical but can't find a web site for him.

Are the moon clips interchangable between .38 and 9mm? I'm assuming no but figured I'd check. Where do I get 9mm moonclips for this thing from?

Anything else? I'll probably be using Blade Tech holster etc but do I need anything else to get going?

Thanks,

Chuck

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think The Apex Tactical web site is down or getting up-dated.

You can reach Randy Lee at the shop #(805)528-5250

I think Rob Leatham (TGO on the forum) was shooting 9mm in his 627-38super revolver at the IRC this year.

I think there was a thread on this convertion, try a seach in the revolver section.

Good Luck

John

I think Rob Leatham (TGO on the forum) was shooting 9mm in his 627-38super revolver at the IRC this year.

I think there was a thread on this convertion, try a seach in the revolver section.

Good Luck

John

Rob experimented with the 9mm but was unable to keep the bullets from tumbleing. He ran 38 Super at the IRC - much better accuracy also.

There is a thread on the 9mm stuff, sort of in the Spring of 2006.

All right, Jerry V bugged me enough that I picked up a PC 627 to shoot. Now what do I need to do to it? I won't get it for a week or two but if I need to get some parts/equipment I might as well start now.

Ideally I would like to shoot this as a 9mm because that's what I shoot in Production anyway. I just don't want to have to convert the press over to .38, or .38 Short Colt, or anything else that I don't have stuff for already. What's required for the new converson, new cylinder or just ream it. Any left coast recommendations for the work? I've heard of Randy Lee and Apex Tactical but can't find a web site for him.

Are the moon clips interchangable between .38 and 9mm? I'm assuming no but figured I'd check. Where do I get 9mm moonclips for this thing from?

Anything else? I'll probably be using Blade Tech holster etc but do I need anything else to get going?

Thanks,

Chuck

As JB mentioned, Rob shot a 627 Super with 9mm's, if you have a 627 38/357 you may be

charting new territory if you try 9mm. personally I don't think you'll get any great accuracy as

Rob pointed out in a past post. Plus I believe you'll need a reamer as opposed to just a little

dremel work for the 9mm/38 Super conversion.

As far as moonclips, you can use some 38 super moons with some 9mm brass, actually fits

better with some 9mm brass (Win) than with some of the 38 super brass (forget which ones)

And you can shoot 38 Short Colt in the 38 Supers using 38/357 moonclips, cases do bulge

though so watch for fatigue. 9mm doesn't work well with 38/357 clips.

Most folks are using California comp works moonclip holders (6 to 8 on the belt) and you won't

go wrong with a CR Speed or Extreme/Speed Sec holster.

A CR speed belt is also the stiffest out there so that would be a good choice.

For rear sights you have Millet's with plain black or a white outline and also the LPA's.

Or stick with the stock ones.

For front sights there's SDM and EGW for fiber optic or a gold bead from SDM and S&W.

Or stick with the stock ones.

You might want a de-mooner tool or you can go the tubing/golf club shaft tecnique discribed

elsewhere in the revo section.

Hogue grips of course, rubber or wood, dremel or not, the choice is yours.

And best of all you can get almost all stuff from Brownells, and if not then you can get

other moonclips and things at www.moonclips.com and the LPA rear sights from Speed shooters,

they have a link here in the dealers section.

Congrats on the new wheel gun, you'll enjoy it.

DaveP

Good Luck

John

Rob experimented with the 9mm but was unable to keep the bullets from tumbleing. He ran 38 Super at the IRC - much better accuracy also.

Found the thread on 9mm, I thought I read somewhere that Robbie used WWB 9mm 147's

for the IRC but I guess not. :wacko:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...=31694&st=0

I messed with this concept too, and converted my gun so it would work with both 9mm and .38 Super (it's only minor work to the extractor star). In fact, I just had it out this past weekend fooling around with it. Accuracy with WWB is adequate for local IPSC matches and stuff like that, I can easily hit my 6" plate 8 for 8 offhand at 25 yards. Sam shot the Big Dawg Steel match with it back in the summer, and he says it was OK. I can see where the accuracy might not be the greatest at 50 yards, etc., but I never witnessed any tumbling with my gun. I also tried some 124-grain PMC RNL, and it worked OK. Best accuracy in my gun was using the 147-grain ammo, but that's not the cheap stuff so it defeats the whole purpose.

It's still kinda cool knowing my revolver works with 9mm!

How many moon clip pouches should I get to shoot an ICORE match? Up to and including the IRC.

The cost of the 147 is not an issue for me. We've got about 75,000 sitting around the office of the WWB, and we don't authorize the 9mm for duty carry anymore.

I have seven on my belt but it is always good to have more.

You might look at the Speedy Rack, It's what Jerry used at the Nationals except his has ten posts and the production one has seven. I think they are $110 shipped.

With the Speedy Rack you have to use Herthco Moons.

I have been using mine for about three matches now and it works great!

John

How many moon clip pouches should I get to shoot an ICORE match? Up to and including the IRC.

The cost of the 147 is not an issue for me. We've got about 75,000 sitting around the office of the WWB, and we don't authorize the 9mm for duty carry anymore.

You might look at the Speedy Rack, It's what Jerry used at the Nationals except his has ten posts and the production one has seven. I think they are $110 shipped.

John

John

Do you know of website that sells Herthco moonclips? I usually buy mine from Brownells, but would like to try some Herthcos.

Thanks

John

Where can you get the speedy rack?

John

Where can you get the speedy rack?

You can only get the Speed-E-Rack from Elloit,himself.

elliotannie@yahoo.com

I'll be talking to him this weekend about making one for my 627.

Well, I'm having the gun shipped straight to Mark Hartshorne at Pinnacle High Performance. The seller is in PA so it seemed easy enough. Gonna have him at a minimum chamber it for 9x23 so that I can shoot .38 super, 9mm etc out of it. I'll probably stick with 9mm though. We'll see what else he can talk me into doing to it as well. Should be easy, I'm a push over.

I'll order the Heartco Moon clips, but what is a Speed-E-Rack? I can't find any pictures on the net.

but what is a Speed-E-Rack? I can't find any pictures on the net.

It's visible on Jerry's waist in the second photo in this thread:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=39666

Basically a one piece aluminum moonclip belt set-up.

Kind of an interesting rig, anyone have any off the body pic's.

Any idea what the cost is ??

Hey Chuck.....

....What do you mean by "Wheelgun Newbie" :huh: .....

......If I recall, aren't you Classified MASTER in Revolver, besides I wasn't bugging you to get a 627, it was a 625 so I can someone else to whup up on now that Walt has gone back to L10 :P

:lol::lol::lol:

but what is a Speed-E-Rack? I can't find any pictures on the net.

It's visible on Jerry's waist in the second photo in this thread:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=39666

Basically a one piece aluminum moonclip belt set-up.

Kind of an interesting rig, anyone have any off the body pic's.

Any idea what the cost is ??

Dave,

Phill Griggs has one, his screen name is Lefty45. He could give more details.

Hey Chuck.....

....What do you mean by "Wheelgun Newbie" :huh: .....

......If I recall, aren't you Classified MASTER in Revolver, besides I wasn't bugging you to get a 627, it was a 625 so I can someone else to whup up on now that Walt has gone back to L10 :P

:lol::lol::lol:

Ah yes, my Division dominating 51% Master score. Tremble before my awesomeness. As far as the 627 over the 625, I think I'll probably be spending more time shooting steel and ICORE matches with it so the extra two rounds are kind of handy. Besides I'm a great big wuss and the massive power of the .45 scares me.

Here is the flyer for the speedy rack.

The frame is steel and the posts are aluminum. He turned down the diameter so the moonlip fits over it and there is an O ring that the moonclip kind of snaps onto. It holds them securely but they release well.

You just drill two holes to your belt and bolt the rack right on.

Speederack5.doc

Edited by Northern Xtreme

Here is the flyer for the speedy rack.

The frame is steel and the posts are aluminum. He turned down the diameter so the moonlip fits over it and there is an O ring that the moonclip kind of snaps onto. It holds them securely but they release well.

You just drill two holes to your belt and bolt the rack right on.

Thanks NX, neat looking do-dad, all was good until I see it takes special/modified

moon clips, have to have more info on that part.