Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Automatic Bullet Feeder

cbrussell

I see there are two automatic bullet feeders being marketed for the Dillon RL 1050; one by K.I.S.S., and one by GSI. Seems to be quite a few demos of the K.I.S.S. system, but little on the GSI system. Price not being an object; which one is the best? Any recomendations? Do both systems do away with the powder check station?

Thanks

I see there are two automatic bullet feeders being marketed for the Dillon RL 1050; one by K.I.S.S., and one by GSI. Seems to be quite a few demos of the K.I.S.S. system, but little on the GSI system. Price not being an object; which one is the best? Any recomendations? Do both systems do away with the powder check station?

Thanks

Regarding the KISS system, If you wish to keep the powder check, your option would be to install the KISS bullet dropper in the seating position and then use a combination seating-crimping die in the last position. Personally, I just look down into each case prior to the bullet being dropped, so I don't use the powder check. I have no info on the GSI unit.

You can read some new owner testimonials at www.bulletfeeder.com

There's a nice video of the system on Saul Kirsch's website too... www.doublealpha.biz

Thanks

Regarding the KISS system, If you wish to keep the powder check, your option would be to install the KISS bullet dropper in the seating position and then use a combination seating-crimping die in the last position. Personally, I just look down into each case prior to the bullet being dropped, so I don't use the powder check. I have no info on the GSI unit.

There's a nice video of the system on Saul Kirsch's website too... www.doublealpha.biz

(I think Rick is Mr Bulletfeeder, btw) Yeah, you'll want to rig a light to look in the cases before the bulletfeeder slaps a bullet on there. I was so happy to get my bulletfeeder set up the other day that I forgot to reattach the powder return rod and ended up loading a few squibs since the seating wasn't where I was used to looking at it. :angry::angry: Now I look and all is well.

I've never seen a GSI in person, and thought they weren't even shipping them yet, until somebody asked if I wanted to buy theirs a couple weeks ago..

• 2 months later...

Thanks

What combination seating/crimping die do folks recommend if I wanted to keep the powder check system on my 650 with the KISS?

Angel

Wouldn't be able to used any Bullet feeder.....not even on the 1050.....at least with the Redding competition seater because you need a crimp die...on the 1050 you have spare station but they are before the powder drop.

I recieved my KISS last week and man it works well.

I filled the case tube and loaded, when it was empty I calculated my speed. Without trying I got 1800rds/hr.

GSI are still getting theirs to work.

Roger got his first time.

Go to http://www.bulletfeeder.com/testimonials.htm and look for Peter Griffin.

Edited by RePete

Wouldn't be able to used any Bullet feeder.....not even on the 1050.....at least with the Redding competition seater because you need a crimp die...on the 1050 you have spare station but they are before the powder drop.

HUH? There is the powder check station after the powder drop and before the seating station.

HUH? There is the powder check station after the powder drop and before the seating station.

His question was to use a Kiss bullet feeder on a 650, WITH a powder check......just not enough space :) the same for the 1050 no space for it all after the powder drop...

• 2 weeks later...

His question was to use a Kiss bullet feeder on a 650, WITH a powder check......just not enough space :) the same for the 1050 no space for it all after the powder drop...

If you want to use the powder check on the 650 or the 1050, you must install the KISS unit in the station where the seating die is currently located. Since that leaves you with only one more station, the solution is to install a combination seating&crimping die in place of the existing crimping die.

I put a small clamp-on light on the case feeder support, pointed in the general direction of the sheel plate. With it, I can look into the case at station 5 (just after the powder drop and waiting for a bullet to be fed), and visually confirm the powder has been delivered to the case. I really don't think a powder check assembly from Dillon would give me any greater comfort factor, and this allows me to still use separate seating and crimping dies.

If you want to use the powder check on the 650 or the 1050, you must install the KISS unit in the station where the seating die is currently located. Since that leaves you with only one more station, the solution is to install a combination seating&crimping die in place of the existing crimping die.

Ok. I'm getting this part but my question is what combination seating/crimp die do folks recommend if I wanted to do this. I'm still new to reloading and I like the comfort of the Powder Check for now, but I really want the bulletfeeder.

Thanks.

Angel

I'm still new to reloading and I like the comfort of the Powder Check for now, but I really want the bulletfeeder.

Thanks.

Angel

Based on this part of your statement, I would recommend that you continue to learn the basics and mechanics of reloading BEFORE you try to fully automate.

[quote Based on this part of your statement, I would recommend that you continue to learn the basics and mechanics of reloading BEFORE you try to fully automate.

Hmmm. I'm pretty sure I said I was new not stupid. I think I pretty much mastered the art of placing a bullet on a case after the first 5 minutes. It's not exactly rocket science but thanks for your concern. I happen to like the added security of the powder measure so I would like to know what is the best combination seating/crimp die to use.

Angel

Angel:

I didn't say that, and sorry that you took it that way.

I've been loading for well over 25 years and can and am still learning.

I loaded on a single stage for a number of years then graduated to aLee Pro 1000, adn now a Super 1050.

I've had my KISS for about 6 weeks now.

I never had a problem with the Lee dies.

Ok. I'm getting this part but my question is what combination seating/crimp die do folks recommend if I wanted to do this. I'm still new to reloading and I like the comfort of the Powder Check for now, but I really want the bulletfeeder.

Thanks.

Angel

Can't speak for everyone Angel but I think the reason no one's replyed is that I don't think

anyone uses a seat/crimp die, least not the compitition shooters that hang here.

I don't know anyone that uses one, single stage reloaders maybe.

Every serious reloader I spoke to all said the same thing. Seating and crimping in the same station at the same times is bad Juju.

Angel, Don't take it personal, Everybody will learn things along the way, Some of them not wanted. I started in loading in 1988 on a square deal then a 550, Then a 650 as well at single stage and turret presses for my bolt guns. Just gave up the 650s a couple of months ago. Did have my first primer blow up a few weeks ago in a 1050 press, The primer bar needed to be shimmed.

I have had my kiss bullet feeder for a month and will now order more of them to go with the other 3 1050s. It is that good and you get lazy fast or should I say spoiled.

Edited by KAL

Angel:

I didn't say that, and sorry that you took it that way.

I've been loading for well over 25 years and can and am still learning.

I loaded on a single stage for a number of years then graduated to aLee Pro 1000, adn now a Super 1050.

I've had my KISS for about 6 weeks now.

I never had a problem with the Lee dies.

I take no offense at all. I started out with a Lee 1000 as well and after a week realized I hated it and bought a 650. I still have the Lee Seating/Crimp Die from that setup. I guess I can try those. What am I giving up by combining these two steps? Accuracy?

Angel

Every serious reloader I spoke to all said the same thing. Seating and crimping in the same station at the same times is bad Juju.

Interesting. I'm curious what it is that folks don't like about it exactly?

Angel

• 2 months later...
I guess they feel that the crimping action being applied to the bullet as it is being seated would not give as accurate seating depths. too much variation in o.a.l. ??

In my Lyman manual it says that seating and crimping at the same time actually improves accuracy. I don't do it because it makes adjustments a pain.

• 5 weeks later...

Most of the dies I have are Dillon, I am not saying they are the best, just good. They do the job and the newer ones are easy to clean, when necessary. I have used the others and they are good, too.

For my 9x23 I have the RCBS dies and the bullet seating die (has a micrometer adjustment) also crimps. I see absolutely no disadvantage other than getting it adjusted for the first time. It took some concentration on my part and I walked away from it until I held my mouth right.

Once adjusted I can change the depth of the bullet with a couple of clicks of the dial. Unless someone can give you specifics of problems they have encountered, I would buy them. I don't reload many 9x23 rounds any more, but have loaded many thousands, using that die, without problems. I will order one for my forty in a couple of days.

Buddy