Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rifle Only Match?

Benelli2 had a few comments that got me to thinking.

How much interest in a Rifle only match to be held in the SouthEast (TN, MS, AR, Al)

Don't really know who's rules, that would be hashed out later, just looking at interest.......

SAM

I said this 2 years ago when the discussion of how to score multi-gun in USPSA would work, so that we could award accuracy and power factor.

Accuracy is awarded as it is now, by the scoring zones on the target. We acknowledge power, by scoring minor & major based on power factor.

Done.

So, as for a scoring method either one is really immaterial. However, and this is where my scoring method makes some kind of sense, is a time plus penalties and the penalties are like IDPA in that a C hit minor would add more time than a C hit major therefore awarding both accuracy and power. Since it's time plus, competitors will know where they stand in the match, right there at the stage level rather than waiting for the magical hit factor to be generated.

Just my $0.02, but I'll go!

Rich

I like the idea, but i think a shotgun only match would be nicer.........less stuff to worry about( power factors, divisions(3), (open, standard, pump). also i think you should specify which IMGA rules would be used, DPMS,SMM3G,Benning,RM3G, etc.

all in all,......Sam, you put the match on and if it doesn't interfere with something else, i'll be there.

Trapr

The rifle match I run annually uses IMGA style rules, but I do 1 C Zone or better (or 2 hits anywhere) with battle rifle cartridges to neutralize, and 1 A Zone/Two hits with intermediate cartridges. This seemed to be a fair balance for people shooting real battle rifle cartridges like .308 or .30-06

...I believe I stole the idea from Kelly Neal and the Police Match he runs.

I would fly over if the was a 2-3 day match with at least 12 stages and a good chunk of those stages should have a lot of 200+ yard shots and and some stages should have a handful of 300+ yard shots.

It would be lame if 90% of the stages where under 50 yards --- basically pistol stages shot with a rifle.

I'd prefer that it be shot with USPSA rules. Using the USPSA rules on a rifle-only match is just as easy as a USPSA pistol match.

I'd shoot a rifle only match in a heart beat. Hope you put the targets out far enough there isn't a lot of paper, only self resetting steel. Sam if you need some steel yell i've got 5 self resetting steel from 6" to 12" plates and can bring the star. Keith

Having run a rifle only match, I believe it is a A LOT easier to run one than a multi-gun match

+1

I will go with either rule set, but feel that USPSA/IPSC rules work the best for rifle only.

The reason I believe this is the way a sloppy speed demon can win a high round count CQ stage under Time+ with speed alone and a bunch-o C's & D's. Whereas the same shooter would get trounced on the same stage scored comstock by anyone who shoots more A's in about the same time frame He also get's beat by anyone who shoots all A's and is up to several seconds slower.

I think rifle matches should measure and reward accuracy at all times, CQ to LD. I feel Time+ is a good idea in multigun where you are trying to speed up a slow process by making the scoring simpler. In a single gun format the speedy stage turn issue is much less of a concern and IMHO, watering down the scoring in a rifle match is not something you want, or need to do.

Rifle only practical shooting matches are a great idea. I am already in the planning stages for an IPSC style rifle only match out west of the Rockies.

http://www.3gunrules.com/barc_2007.php

I would definitely like to see some more Rifle only events, hopefully culminating in a USPSA Rifle Nationals. George, keep us updated on your match!

I prefer USPSA scoring for the very same reasons that George mentioned.

SinistralRifleman, you did steal that idea from me! :D That is the scoring that I use for the Mesa Police Games 3 Gun: time plus. I do that for it's simplicity as many of the shooters are not competitors and explaining Comstock to all of them is a monumental task so I just go with time plus which is easy to understand. I don't have a Heavy Metal Division and I wanted to make the rules .308 friendly. Since time plus is based on the idea of target neutralization, I figured a C zone hit with a .308 handily meets the criteria.

• 2 weeks later...

Just say no to paper on the longer shots! Too slow to score and paste. How about one stage that includes a tannerite "target"? Guaranteed to bring a smile to every shooter who hits one.

Sam, let us know if we can help with steel targets, etc.

I love rifle only matches - went to the one in NY State in April, and it was great, and I am doing the ACTS matches, which are local to me here in Michigan. Kentucky is doable for me and I am agitating for other folks who want to go to West Point...

The NY Match was mostly short stuff on paper, and then they had a long range stage with steel that needed no resets, self setting poppers and strobe steel. Worked great. I could have shot that stage several times... http://www.squaredealipsc.com/ go to their match info page, and they still have stages and scores.

Billski

I shot Louie's USPSA rifle match this past spring, and plan to again. I love rifle-only matches, and would love to have another one (somewhat) close to home.

I slightly prefer USPSA rules, but will happily shoot either. The CTI has a good ruleset that strongly rewards accurate shooting while retaining the simplicity of time-plus.

- Chris

I shot the 4th of july match that Cav put on, I really liked the idea of 1 C zone hit or better for 30 cal guns.

If the match were several days and 10 stages then the USPSA format would work, but I still like the IMGA rules. 2hits on target or 1 A zone. Power factor is a joke with rifles. If you can't knock down the steel, better learn how to reload or hit it multiple times. My .02 cents worth anyways.