Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Attracting New Shooters

SteveZ

One of the problems with the clubs in my section or my section itself, seems to be a lack of new shooters. Because of this, many shooters who are running things year after year begin to experience core burnout. Rather than looking at ways of attracting new shooters, the clubs/section wait for new shooters to find them....and as you could guess, its not a good formula for attracting new shooters and growing the sport.

So I'm curious as to what others have done or are doing to attract new shooters and grow participation in their sections. I'm interested in what you've found works....and also what doesn't work. I figure all of us could benefit from this information.

Also, I've heard about "IPSC 101" type courses offered by clubs as a means of introducing new shooters to the game. If anyone has a course curriculum or outline for such a program and could point me at a link (or send it to me as an attachment), I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Edited by SteveZ

Here's a link to the "getting started in IPSC" page on the NW section website. On that page, there's also a link to a safety-check curriculum, which is a pretty good primer for the sport.

http://northwestsection.org/newshooter.html

Also, this thread has a *great* doc by BritinUSA about how to get started in the game

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30482

Bruce

Here's a link to the "getting started in IPSC" page on the NW section website. On that page, there's also a link to a safety-check curriculum, which is a pretty good primer for the sport.

http://northwestsection.org/newshooter.html

Also, this thread has a *great* doc by BritinUSA about how to get started in the game

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30482

Bruce

Thanks Bruce...those are good resources for after you get the shooters into the program...but I'd like to hear ideas for getting new shooters involved in USPSA/IPSC and if a "syllabus" for IPSC 101 exists anywhere.

Ah! The best one I have heard about is the program that some of the Reno area clubs were doing (I think they still are). They were contacting people that had recently completed basic handgun or concealed-carry classes, and inviting them out to monthly "lite" matches, ostensibly to help them gain greater gunhandling skills. The matches were essentially simplified USPSA stages; smaller roundcounds, starting from low-ready instead of holster, etc. But they were seeing a significant percentage of the attendees make the transition from "lite" to "real" USPSA matches.

I'm also aware that a number of clubs and sections host informational tables at gun-shows. My experience doing that with the WAC gun shows was hit or miss, and (IMHO) largely related to what content was on display. If we showed "race guns" with a video of Robbie hosing a stage in playing in the background, people walked past. But if we showed Glocks and 1911s and revolvers and other "you probably already have one" kinda guns, and video of local/average shooters at play, people stopped and asked questions.

I'd note there are really four challenges, which may have different solutions

-- getting word out so people know what we are, and interested enough to find out about us ("marketing")

-- converting that interest in to *action*, getting them to come out to a match (either to observe or to shoot) ("call to action")

-- converting that action into *pattern* - making the first match experience so fun that they come back for a second match ("relationship")

-- converting pattern to *participation* - plugging the new shooters into the various participative aspects of the game (ROing, designing stages, set-up/tear-down, etc) that make them a contributor rather than a consumer. ("support")

$.02

Bruce

At Old Bridge, we are fortunate enough to have a good indoor facilityas well as our outdoor range.

On the first and third Friday of every month we hold a "Practice Match". It is run by USPSA Rules. We have to make some Level one exemptions since total freestyle and walls don't work too well, but generally it is as close as we ccan make it.

One of our people runs about a 1-1/2 to 2 hour intor to practical shooting cvering the history, divisions, scoring, equipment and above all SAFETY rules. We then do a very basic live fire safety check and partner the new shooter with an experianced shooter for the eveneing. THe actual 4 stage match is really the safety check, the initial check is to see if he is safe enough to test.

After shooting the indoor we invite them to the next outdoor match where they area again either partnered with a particular shooter or placed on a squad that will mentor them as a group.

This along with the mid-Atlantic section allowing people to shoot their first match free when they join USPSA has increased our participation. We also ask for and get help building stagtes and tearing down the match.

INVOLVEMENT. If people come to your match and are left to wander aimlessly about while the "CREW" build the match they will likely feel left out and unwanted. It takes guts to approach a group of friends and insinuate yourself into it. Rejection is a fearfull enough thing that the fear of being rejected will keep most people from joining in. INVITE them into your group. Make them a part of your operation. They will come back. Almost everyone wants to belong.

Where do you find these people? Do you only shoot USPSA Matches? or do you cross discipline shoot? Talk to your bullseye friends, smallbore friends, IDPA buddies, black powder shooters, hunting buddies. Try a brochure at the local public ranges and gun shops. Go to a sportsmans show or gun show in your area and man a booth. Many organizers will discount a booth to a club.

Jim

This is an area near to my heart. We are our own best marketing tool. We have 15, 000 members. I can't believe we all live in a vacuum. I bet we talk to people who like guns and shooting nearly every day at work or at a gun shop, etc. If each one of us brough just one new persons into the fold next year our numbers would double with very little effort expended.

All the AD's and SC's get copies from USPSA of inquires from potential members. Erytime I see a person who lives in my state or reasonably near my home club I call them up or send them an e-mail inviting them to shoot at the next match. My local club allows new shooters to shoot their first match free and we assign an experienced shooter (ususally me) to assist them during their first match. We loan them equipment if they need it and try to make their first visit enjoyable. I called a prospect provided to me from USPSA a couple of nights ago and found out he has two more friends who are also interested. We talked for several minutes and all have promised to attend the next match, of course we will see if they show up. If they don't, I'll call them and check on them.

As my tag line says our sport is not for everyone, but with some effort we can do a lot better than we are. I even got a webmaster this way :D

Gary

Bruce, Jim, Gary these are excellent points. Especially Bruce. I liked your 4 - step process of going from "interested person" to "supportive shooter".

I too have recently wondered how we could *find* new blood.

I've been seeing alot of those "Support our Troops" car magnets lately. Couldn't we come up with some USPSA car magnets ??? With the website WWW.USPSA.COM clearly printed on them. I know lots of folks who don't want to "advertise" that they own / have guns at home or in the vehicle. But on the way to a match, or on the way home you could proudly display your USPSA magnet and then simply remove it. Without ruining it.

I don't know ...... but I too have been thinking about this lately!

Try a brochure at the local public ranges and gun shops

Excellent idea!

We have 15, 000 members. I can't believe we all live in a vacuum. I bet we talk to people who like guns and shooting nearly every day at work or at a gun shop, etc

1 person brings a friend, and that friend brings 2 friends, and those 2 each bring 2 more!

WOW! :o I'm not real good at math, but I think that 1 shooter turned into 8 shooters! B)

Last year we had 4 brothers from the same family shooting with us! Talk about the family that shoots together! ;) I always thought if they each got their spouse or friends involved how things could multiply!

Edited by CHRIS KEEN

It is SO vital to welcome those people who are curious. A year ago, when I joined a local range to fire off my CCW, I bumped into KEEN and Uncle Bill. They went out of their way to introduce me to USPSA. When I found the courage to show up for a match, they gave me important advice and coaching. (just like they do today :D )

Last week at the range, a gent was watching me practice with my gear on, and wanted to know what the hell I was doing. One hour later, he was dying to check out a club match!

All of this is to say that the BEST device that we have to obtain new shooters is time. Because Chris and Bill (...don't forget Bob) took the time to explain this amazing sport a year ago, I am now more than willing to take the time to usher in the new recruits :)

We've done the gunshow thing, followed by a 'new shooter match' a couple times. Out of the 20 or 30 that put their names down, you'll end up with 2-3 new members. Photos and videos of ordinary shooters is good. A laptop or two and you're set.

Most gun ranges are clubs, and many also have chapters in the various cities around the club. They also have regular meetings. I know around here going to the meetings counts as work-bond time. The meeting are usually boring, but they don't have to be. We do USPSA presentations at these meetings; show videos, bring our gear, explain the rules, etc. It's the perfect setting. They are already club members and most own the guns they would need to start. It's simply a matter of re-educating them beyond their existing preconseptions, and getting them around the anamosity of starting. Everyone at the very least enjoys the meeting more than usual and you get invited to do more presentations. (Military combat units are a good target for presentations too. It starts out ego, then becomes desire.)

Second. Our gun club does an annual Open House and advertises it. All the different shooting dicipline clubs put up a mini-course for everyone to shoot. We have a bunch of the club regulars/board members out there showing, teaching, and selling. Some people show up with something to shoot, but we all bring extra gear for people to use. It sells the gun club, and it sells the USPSA Club.

There were 2 things that really got me involved in helping at my club. The first was my desire to understand what the hell I was doing (more time on stages when you set them up). The second was going to eat with the other regular shooters before or after a match. Then I started dinking around with designing stages and sending them to the other more experienced shooters to critique. It did help accellerate my learning, and now I'm neck deep in it.

Ask some of the newer young blood to take a shot at designing stages to help out. Then critique their stages and run them at the matches. If it's their stage being shot, they will want it set up according to their design (feign fraility and a weak mind :P ), and show up to set it up. Once you have 4 or 5 newbies doing this, you all of a sudden have a one person in each berm doing their part of the match. At least hypathetically :D

Edited by SA Friday

I think alot of new shooters get intimidated by the veteran shooters. When I first joined ipsc, I went to a few matches before I actually shot my first one. They were pretty intimidating looking at these guns that looked like they belonged in Star Wars and people shooting splits, that were unlike the 7yds range 2 shots per second rule thing that I was used to. I thought I was a pretty good shooter before I went to my first match. Well my first match kinda humbled me.

I think its our responsibility to try to help the new shooters and help them through the stages and try to be supportive if we want this sport to grow. I think alot of the new shooters were like me and thought they knew how to shoot a gun, and that they were good at it. And alot of new shooters think the same way. then they get their tailes whipped and its kinda like a shock to thier ego. They have been shooting since they were knee high to a june bug and suddenly thier sitting in last place. I think its our job to push the right buttons to give them encourgement and try to point out the good points and try to keep them positive about the sport to keep them comming back. not only is it going to make the sport grow, but its going to enhance the competition in the future.

just my .02 cents

PK

I quit shooting IPSC over 20 years ago. When I wanted to start shooting again a couple of years ago, I went to a IDPA match and a USPSA match. I now shoot mostly USPSA because at that first match a couple of friendly shooters made me feel welcome.

Once you get new shooters to come to a match, you need to make them feel welcome . Be open and friendly to them so they will come back.

I think alot of new shooters get intimidated by the veteran shooters. When I first joined ipsc, I went to a few matches before I actually shot my first one. They were pretty intimidating looking at these guns that looked like they belonged in Star Wars and people shooting splits, that were unlike the 7yds range 2 shots per second rule thing that I was used to. I thought I was a pretty good shooter before I went to my first match. Well my first match kinda humbled me.

I think its our responsibility to try to help the new shooters and help them through the stages and try to be supportive if we want this sport to grow. I think alot of the new shooters were like me and thought they knew how to shoot a gun, and that they were good at it. And alot of new shooters think the same way. then they get their tailes whipped and its kinda like a shock to thier ego. They have been shooting since they were knee high to a june bug and suddenly thier sitting in last place. I think its our job to push the right buttons to give them encourgement and try to point out the good points and try to keep them positive about the sport to keep them comming back. not only is it going to make the sport grow, but its going to enhance the competition in the future.

just my .02 cents

PK

That is why many try a first match, few try a second match.

Ah! The best one I have heard about is the program that some of the Reno area clubs were doing (I think they still are). They were contacting people that had recently completed basic handgun or concealed-carry classes, and inviting them out to monthly "lite" matches, ostensibly to help them gain greater gunhandling skills. The matches were essentially simplified USPSA stages; smaller roundcounds, starting from low-ready instead of holster, etc. But they were seeing a significant percentage of the attendees make the transition from "lite" to "real" USPSA matches.

Bruce

We're still doing the Production "lite" matches. They recess in the winter months, since it takes a diehard shooter to shoot all morning in the cold. I'm not aware of us reaching out to classes, but we probably should start doing that again.

We've gained several new members thru these intro matches and we'll definitely keep doing them next year.

I just joined USPSA 10 minutes ago. I am 32 years old. dad put a .22 rimfire sa browning in my hand when I was 4. a colt woodsman at 5. combat comander at 6. I was shooting trap at 7. skeet at 8.

I thought I was experienced enough of a shooter for IPSC 3 gun, limited, and possibly SC. It was watching pin comps as a kid that made me want to shoot steel more than anything when I saw the matches at piru. I went to gopher flats pig roast a few weeks ago and was really surprised how quiet and competitive everyone was. NOone talked to me, and I felt kinda intimidated by everyones attitude. I had a lot of questions to ask, but none were answered. I know this wasnt a real IPSC match, but it was the 1st ipsc/idpa style I ever attended. There were definately some people who knew what they were doing. approx. 5% at least consistantly hit the A's and had faster times than the rest. I was actually really surprised by the lack of talent I saw. Everyone had $3500 blasters on em, but I think few deserved to be shooting them. I couldnt believe the amount of bermshots, misses, malfunctions, reloads, I saw. I figured this was a private club, and that ipsc cant be this way! If it is, I dont think I'll be the one in dead last no matter what division! (not that I think I'll be close to the top 50 either)

Anyway It didnt intimidate me at all. It did the exact opposite. it almost detracted me from the sport until the competitive side in me said "no, I will not let them defeat me before I even play. Now I'm out for blood!" It only made me want to shoot a match more now than ever. I recently moved to FL. and I am hoping a little bit of that southern hospitality trickles down to the matches around here, as I am now ready to give it my all in something I only really read about. I definately need a little hands on guidance. I am looking into enough land to set up stages and practice for both IPSC and SC. If in anyone knows of any ranges where you can practice shoot the SC stages please let me know! It's what I'm most interested in, and I really want to learn how to shoot it before just entering. Ipsc I'll have to just dive in and hope I float. wish me luck! ;)

Our club shoots on the 2nd and 4th Saturday's of the month. We also meet at a local indoor range every Tuesday night and practice. While we are shooting, one of our shooters will roam over to the other side of the range and start talking up USPSA to whoever is standing there and often as not, brings them over to shoot his gun at the IPSC targets.

We have gotten several prospects in this way.

Word of mouth plays a big part as well. One of our shooters owns a sign and tint shop that is always open to a shooter or someone who wants to shoot. This guy brought two new shooters to our match today.

Other shooting events also have prospects. The first Saturday of the month finds several of our club shooting what is called a "point shoot." Three targets, at varying distances, starting at low ready. two shots per target. We had two guys from that match join us today.

All together we had 6 new shooters today. Our club lets first time shooters shoot free and occasionally, we really suprise someone with that.

Our regular membership was off today, we only had six regular members so we almost had one-on-one partnerships. We help the shooters who don't have enough or right equipment by loaning them our stuff. Today, we had a guy drive about a hundred miles to shoot our match for the first time and he doesn't even own a gun!!! He had called a week or so ago and I told him to come on and we would have the entire setup for him. Shooting Glocks or a good 1911 is a great way to be introduced to IPSC.

Stress safety, safety and more safety. Then stress fun. They all enjoy it and some of them will actually come back.

I have rambled enough. If you ask them, they will come, and some will come back.

FWIW

dj

Edited by dajarrel

the new vid. is great. I wish that came out about 6 months ago. would of answered a lot of questions for this noob! it made me excited to join USPSA, and I cant wait to shoot my 1st match now. if I could just find a steel match to shoot in FL. now. my .38s 1911 RIID built me over at cyn creek custom is just waiting for a doctor site and its finally done. I think it will make a great steel gun. great thread you guys cooked up!

Free introductory classes definitely help attract new shooters.

This probably isn't what you guys want to hear, but I have gotten a couple dozen new shooters involved locally over the past 2 years by emphasizing competition shooting as a venue to test the martial skills of gun handling and marksmanship, and sort out their gear. I tell people not to worry about winning, but to just be safe and try to consistently improve and outdo their buddies.

HOW TO BRING IN NEW SHOOTERS:

Any club "regular" who brings a new shooter, give them 50% off of their match fees.

HOW TO KEEP THEM ONCE YOU GET THEM THERE:

Allow a first time shooter to shoot their first match at your club for free. Most people will greatly appreciate this. First time shooters are totally intimidated at their first match.

Keep the club members who don't know how to talk to people (especially when they are RO'ing) miles away from the new guy for the first couple matches.

Squad the new shooter up with a partner who is experienced shooting the matches and willing to help them out through the match and answer their questions.

Edited by cmzneb

New match shooters are nervous about the process of shooting the match. I believe the best way to entice a new shooter is to take them to a deserted range and walk them through a few stages.

Discuss their gear, mags, range commands, safety issues, etc... while at the range.

Setup steel and paper targets, create a few mini-stages. Explain Comstock and Virginia count. Let them run some stages off the clock. Introduce the timer.

The whole idea is to let them experience the match without the competitive stress. Most shooters who have never shot steel will immediately be hooked when they experience the ring of falling poppers. Add the timer and the adrenaline that comes with it and they'll be smiling.

In 3 hours you can inspire a new shooter to try a full match. I know most shooters have a positive first match, but many people are nervous to "just show up". So, I feel the problem is getting the new shooter to the first match.