Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

World Shoot Qualifier

Results from the first 2 groups to shoot the Targeting Education USPSA Match (2 more tomorrow) are posted at the USPSA Major match Results section.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

2007 Targeting Education Statistician

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG, that was a hard match! Especially with a cracked comp and a whacked C-More zero... 150 penalty points the first day. Went to another local range to fix my zero and reduced my penalties to a mere 40 the second day... ha ha! :lol:

Jeff LaFave, Linda Chico and everyone involved in running the match did an EXCELLENT job!!! Amazingly efficient and organized!!! GREAT WORK!!!!!! It was apparent that a lot of thought went into the stages and stage designs too. All the ROs were spectacular, fair and consistent. Special kudos to Joel Dix for being so compassionate towards me... 100 of my penalty points were on his stages alone! :blink:

I hope future WS Qualifier matches run 1/2 as well as this one!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

Here's some video: Targeting Education IPSC World Shoot Qualifier

Now that my dot is zeroed and I have some faith in my cracked comp... I'm really looking forward to shooting the USPSA match tomorrow!

:D

I hope future Qualifier matches are half as hard as this one. Holy cow. I did the math. I dropped 229 out of a possible 655 points the first day. Ouch. I managed to pull my head out of my butt the second day at least but dang, not a good start. Both matches were run very well. Stats was awesome. I'm used to the stats folks yelling at me to stay out. Here I kept getting offers to come look at my scores. It was a very cool match. I can't believe I shot 27 stages in three days on a range with only 7 bays.

Hats off to the STAFF . You Did a great job and scores are even up.

Very impressive.

Sorry I was not my happy go lucky self.I have never got such great exercise at a match and look foward to a revisit for state sectional and Mi SS.

Maybe I will be a better prepared.

Special thanks to Banjobart for helping me trying to make my gun run.

NO MORE *I* brass ever

Edited by R/T Performance

Toughest Match I have ever shot.

I don't know if it was who shot the best, or who screwed up the least?

I had fun. I loved working with the staff. I only wish my friend wasn't getting married the same weekend as the Summer Blast. I wanted to work that one. Larry and Jeff you guys did a great job.

Ken Adams

A-52850

OK...a bit longer of a report. I'm not even sure where to start.

I worked all of the IPSC match. Then worked the morning session of the USPSA match, shot the USPSA match in the Saturday afternoon session, then worked both sessions of the next day of the USPSA match. I got to work with Auggie, Mark and Brian. :) Great crew, to say the least.

The match administration took real good care of us. We weren't wanting for anything.

Larry and Jeff...congratulations. You each bit into the 3lb steak and ate it in 15 minutes. Then you did it again, then again.

The whole group from 'that state up north' really brings great attitudes and good work ethics with them.

The officiating staff...there were probably more Range Master certified staff than there were Level I RO's. Level II CRO's were everywhere.

The USPSA rules, policy, and operations folks were well represented at the match. With Area Director (and president candidate) Gary Stevens in attendance. Along with Area Director Bruce Gary (who I got to meet briefly). Dave Thomas was there from the home office (hi Dave). John Amidon (head of NROI) served as one of the Range Masters for the match. And, Linda Chico (Area 6 Director candidate) was keeping stats/registration running like a well oiled machine.

It was great to see all faces from all corners make it to the match. The shooters from warmer climates (and many locals) were all trying to keep warm. We only really caught a drizzlier of rain. The weather was cool to comfortable. It never got warm (no matter what the TV news said it was going to do).

I didn't get to see any of the IPSC match other than the bay I was working. I could tell from the shooters that it was tough. And, it was meant to be. The USPSA match's stages were very well executed.

I got to see a lot of people at this match. I wish I had more BS time to spend with everybody. I always think I'll have more time to talk with people, but the match gets in the way sometimes. :wacko:

WoW.... I'm still not near recovered from this match yet.

I learned after 23 stages in 3 days.... i go brain dead. Something bad about not being able to remember where the targets even ARE!

I had a great time, what an amazing display of creativity and hard work at to put this match on. Thumbs up to all of the match staff... and especially the Canadians, who had absolutely nothing to gain by helping us yanks make it through IPSC rules!

This was a great match and phenomenally tough I hope to see more of them it can only make us better shooters. and humble those of us who are used to not shooting any penalties at all!

Food was excellent... the massage therapists ... well how many matches have those! A great experience thanks again to all involved.

I worked the match start to finish (IPSC and USPSA matches), and following are some observations...

First, everything ran exceptionally well even though we were having to turn stages on a couple of the evenings. Those turns did cause a few challenges, but the competitors understood, and actually helped us work through them!! Outstanding!! :)

Second, many of you know me from working other matches. Well, I gotta say.... I have read lots of stage briefings and demonstrated activators, but in the IPSC match something was different. When we showed the activators during the briefing, almost every squad reacted with something like 'wow... I wasn't expecting that!'.... and when I say 'almost every squad'... I DO mean every almost every squad!!! It was really interesting to watch and listen to competitors of all skill levels think through their stage solution...

Third, putting this size match into this club 'seemed' risky to me, but worked out just fine. I could go on and on, but congrats to all involved!! Jeff and Larry did a fantastic job mixing things up and running a big match!!!

BTW, if anyone can tell me what a KAY-nar-dian is (prh excluded), I'll buy you a beer in Missoula!! :lol:

It was great to see some friends I have missed in the past few months, both staff and shooters!!!

Yes, the match was a tough one, but I enjoyed shooting my 90 penalty points!

... Especially with a cracked comp and a whacked C-More zero... 150 penalty points the first day. Went to another local range to fix my zero and reduced my penalties to a mere 40 the second day... ha ha! :lol:

Sharyn, I feel your pain.

Try two stages on Thursday without any dot (Stage 3 and then stage 1 at the end of the day). Plus fighting marginal ammunition, my fault for not bringing my own. :( Thursday night, I completely disassembled the scope and traced to short to the positive lead on the led. We started on stage 11 Friday morning and I knew that the scope was within 1/2 turn plus or minus of zero. 8 Penalties and 7 misses later I knew that it was 1/2 turn too low. :ph34r:

The match was not has hard as everyone is trying to make you think, if you knew your pistol and your sights. I ran the match minor and still out pointed the modified field on the majority of the stages. Oh yea, and with scope problems, I out penaltied everyone too (I think).

Once again, my hat is off to Jeff, Larry, and the entire crew for an excellent match with a beautiful blend of speed and accuracy.

Kenny

The biggest problem was getting up Saturday morning to head to the airport. My calves were is a permanent state of cramps from climbing up and down into the bays. ;)

Congratulations to all involved in this match. By all accounts it was a cracker.

Ok! The dust has settled. So, divisions aside, were there any really signficant differences between the IPSC match and the USPSA match? How could they best be summarised?

Congratulations to all involved in this match. By all accounts it was a cracker.

Ok! The dust has settled. So, divisions aside, were there any really signficant differences between the IPSC match and the USPSA match? How could they best be summarised?

IPSC: Lots and lots of longer shots. No wide open arrays, lots of no-shoots/hard cover partials. Sneaky setups that required a considerable amount of timing.

USPSA: High round count, more open targets.

Both were equally fun, but the IPSC match was an eye-opener for me and a lot of other people. Go look at Taran's performance for the Standard win, and count how many Mikes he had. That should tell you something.

H.

First and foremost...

Jeff and Larry pulled it off. I will be first to admit that I was very worried about the challenge of running 9 stages on day 1, flipping to 9 completely different stages on day 2, then flipping to 9 completely different stages for days 3 & 4.

From what I saw I am pretty sure that none of the competitors caught themselves saying "This stage is just like yesterdays IPSC stage."

It was a pleasure working with Gordon, Jennifer, T-Moore, and Kenny A down on Bay 6.

Thanks to Matt C and Mike D for keeping us stocked with Gatoraide and water.

Competitors were all polite and graceful even while getting dinged with "2 mikes; 1 FTE". It was nice not having to deal with any hot heads this weekend.

Thanks to Jeff for letting me bring in some Canadian Officials, and thanks to the Canadian Officials for putting yourself out on a limb for what could have been a risky endeavor. Al, Julie, Tim, and John... great job! (That includes Mike and Joe too!)

And the Road to Bali continues...

Phil

Equipment cards are a pain in the ass. IMO. Even moreso since our shooters and staff aren't used to them at all. Time waster.

I'm still no fan of the short/medium/long course ratios. But, it's not fair for me to comment on that since I didn't shoot both matches. (I worked them both.)

The sight picture thing is more trouble than it's worth.

The IPSC Production grip tape picture that Vince had made up...isn't official (I understand that might be quickly fixed). The IPSC rule book reads different than the picture.

As an official, sorting out the 'warnings' is a pain too.

The calibration zone on the poppers being different is weird. (I might be inclined to agree with IPSC on that...which would favor giving the shooter a reshoot for a poorly hit calibration shot...on steel that should have went down in the first place.)

IPSC: Lots and lots of longer shots. No wide open arrays, lots of no-shoots/hard cover partials. Sneaky setups that required a considerable amount of timing.

I think that was merely a matter of a conscious decision made by the stage designers. They chose to present the IPSC match in that manner.

I've shot in IPSC matches for about 10 years before coming to USA. Stage design is not that much different between the two organisations. USPSA favours high round count field stages and IPSC has the small/medium/large mix, which I actually prefer as it is more of a test of shooter skill than just large field courses.

I did not shoot at Michigan but I did the RIO match and it was the toughest match, target-wise that I have ever seen, and I've competed in 3 World Shoots. I don't think these matches are indicative of a World Shoot, it sounds like the organisers made them really tough matches so we could ensure that the best shooters get to the team... and I think that's a good thing.

I've shot in IPSC matches for about 10 years before coming to USA. Stage design is not that much different between the two organisations. USPSA favours high round count field stages and IPSC has the small/medium/large mix, which I actually prefer as it is more of a test of shooter skill than just large field courses.

I did not shoot at Michigan but I did the RIO match and it was the toughest match, target-wise that I have ever seen, and I've competed in 3 World Shoots. I don't think these matches are indicative of a World Shoot, it sounds like the organisers made them really tough matches so we could ensure that the best shooters get to the team... and I think that's a good thing.

Not even close to Rio Paul. This was a much harder match without a doubt.

The IPSC Production grip tape picture that Vince had made up...isn't official (I understand that might be quickly fixed). The IPSC rule book reads different than the picture.

So I guess you didn't believe me. The picture is official. Perry Wilson showed me the official printout of rule interpretations approved at the GA Meeting in Manilla in January. The interpretations were approved but not listed on the website. The rule book does not read differently. It reads the same way that it has for years, that tape may be applied to the grip. Some people just took a narrower interpretation of that rule than has previously been used.