Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What to read?

Flexmoney

Is there a "Zen for Dummies" type book.  Short & easy...just to get the flavor?   (Yes, I realize how silly that question is.)

I have Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind, by Shunryu Suzuki, sitting in front of me.  

I have read a book with the title something like Sidharthra.  It was more of story.  The title character (which the name seems common) was on his journey of enlightenment.

I also have a book titled (as I remember) The Three Pillars of Zen.  I haven't picked it up in about ten years.  I think it was the first book I ever started that I didn't finish.  I recall feeling that reading it was a bit of work.

Kyle,

I'm a big fan of Suzuki's book. Simple, yet subtly profound. The Three Pilliars is good, but as you said, may take a bit of work. I primarily study the translated "ancient" classics. None of which are easy at first look.

Years ago, I read a boatload of Krishnamurti, starting with "Think on These Things." He's "tough" though, and leaves you with very little.

Have you read any Carlos Castaneda? "A Separate Reality," "Journey to Ixtlan," and "Tales of Power," read in that order, are pretty good stuff. There was a time when those books turned some screws...

How about Dan Millman's "Way of the Peaceful Warrior" or "The Warrior Athlete"? Both good.

And a great fun read is Michael Murphy's "Golf in the Kingdom." I haven't met anyone who didn't enjoy that one.

be

There is a "Idiots guide to Zen living"   it was my first Zen book read this winter.  I don’t think it was an easy read but that may just be because I was trying to grasp all of these new concepts.

Flex,

If you can find videos of Allen Watts, those helped me get started.  The vid's are a little more palatable for most.

Ken Wilber's book, One Taste is really good, using terms a westerner is familiar with, I think that is part of the problem for most people.  Some of the terminology is meaningless and causes unnecessary confusion.

• 4 years later...

I know I'll get all sorts of replies like - "Zen can't be captured in words, so there is no book" - but here's my question anyway.

Is there a simple, short book on Zen for a beginner? Sort of like a "Zen for Dummies?"

The first time I had any notion of Zen was reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. I was in my teens and impressionable but this book helped me a lot. It's not a guide to Zen, it's just a book that helped me see how personal happiness affects our lives.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone read 'The Power of Now' by Ekhart Tolle ? This week at work has been chaotic.

Ever see what rats in a cage will do to eachother if you electrify the cage floor for a second? They turn on eachother - without thought, involuntarily...

Books like Tolle's help me to step out of the cage and concentrate on fixing the actual problems, instead of reacting to the behavior. Cheers.

• 1 month later...

If you are a shooter...you need to have Brian's Book.

I don't know if you can say zen is "applied" to it. I've seen a few questions go through here asking about "using" zen and such. I'm just not sure that it works that way.

Beyond Fundamentals, what you get out of it makes sense. What you get out of it increases your understanding. Then, with that increased understanding, the next time you read it...you get more out of it...increasing your understanding more...allowing you to get more the next time. It's a nice spiral.

The more you get, the more fundamental it becomes.

If you are a shooter...you need to have Brian's Book.

I don't know if you can say zen is "applied" to it. I've seen a few questions go through here asking about "using" zen and such. I'm just not sure that it works that way.

Beyond Fundamentals, what you get out of it makes sense. What you get out of it increases your understanding. Then, with that increased understanding, the next time you read it...you get more out of it...increasing your understanding more...allowing you to get more the next time. It's a nice spiral.

The more you get, the more fundamental it becomes.

I find new insight and understading every time I read it.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Seung Sahn yet. Dropping Ashes on the Buddha is an extremely entertaining book, and he captures the spirit of "happy no-mind" Zen without a lot of overexplaining or awkward mental syntax. For a more complete treatment, The Compass of Zen really covers the entire subject, again in an entertaining and "graspable" manner.

The Koreans seem to be the happier, purer spirit of Zen folks, as best I can determine.

H.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Seung Sahn yet. Dropping Ashes on the Buddha is an extremely entertaining book, and he captures the spirit of "happy no-mind" Zen without a lot of overexplaining or awkward mental syntax. For a more complete treatment, The Compass of Zen really covers the entire subject, again in an entertaining and "graspable" manner.

The Koreans seem to be the happier, purer spirit of Zen folks, as best I can determine.

H.

Thanks I'll have to check them out.

• 1 month later...

For me, Charlotte Beck’s second book, “Nothing Special, Living Zen”, always puts “me” in my place. When you’re done with that, John Blofeld’s 1958 translation of “The Zen Teaching of Huang Po” will start to finish the job. I don’t think Ms. Beck cares much for shooting; I don’t think Huang Po would give a damn. - Jeff