Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What to read?

Flexmoney

On the recommendation of a fellow Forum member (thanks, Bob), I'm reading Masao Abe's "Zen and Western Thought".

Abe was professor of theology at Kyoto, Columbia, Chicago, Princeton & U Hawaii, and has been described as 'the leading exponent of Zen in the West.' Reading Abe is learning from one of THE experts in Zen Buddhism.

This is NOT 'Zen for Dummies' but is a very academic theological treatise on Zen and how it compares to Western religions as described/discussed by various Western theologians. It's one of those texts that's best read word-for-word, carefully, with frequent re-reading of long sentences to ensure that you understand the phrasing.

Takes a while to digest; I've had to renew the book once (borrowed from the library), might need another few weeks after that. I certainly think it's worth the effort if you REALLY want to know the specifics of Zen practice and application.

If a broader-stroke overview is sufficient to start, one of the other works previously mentioned would likely be a better first choice.

Edited by FranDoc

Is there a "Zen for Dummies" type book. Short & easy...just to get the flavor?

In contrast to the the academic tome noted in my last post, you may wish to look at Gary Gach's "The Complete Idiot's Gude to Understanding Buddhism".

At least one Zendo uses that in their intro class.

The Q&A sections at www.cloudwater.org may also be of interest.

<_< Ok this may sound Smart Astex. But In order to get anything (in your head) about Zen = first you must be good / or at lest intimate with Zen.

The "Empty Cup" comes to my mind. If you want to tast freash coffey first you must -Empty Your Cup- If you want to gain an insite to Zen - first you must empty your head to thoughts of what Zen may be.

IF you can grasp the Idea of 'Empty Your Cup' = you have started Zen already.

A coffey cup full of cold stale Coffey can not be filled more to make it tast any better.

Just enter the word / thought you like in the place of the word Coffey

Oh and try not to tare the rice paper ;)

• 1 month later...

I was going to start a thread here with this very question in mind. I'm glad I did a peek first, because I would have been deservedly flamed for not searching, I am sure. :P After getting through our host's "Beyond Fundamentals", I realized that there was a sub-layer occurring in BE's shooting, something that I had perhaps seen on the periphery of my mind at times. A fleeting ghost-like train of thought that I was not able to fully understand and use. I think I will take my first look at the aforementioned books on Zen and see if this is what has been flitting around my peripheral thoughts when I'm "in the zone". Thanks for sharing, folks!

I think I will take my first look at the aforementioned books on Zen and see if this is what has been flitting around my peripheral thoughts when I'm "in the zone".

Please know that 'Zone' and 'Zen' are two different entities, both good things to explore. One does not preclude the other, and both can exist simultaneously, but they are quite different.

Good luck on your exploration. It'll be good.

• 1 year later...

...as earlier posters have pointed out, Peter Hyams' "Zen in the Martial Arts" is an excellent tome, as Abe's "Zen and Western Thought", altho' the latter volume can be, well...somewhat OBTUSE at points...I also got a lot out of "Zen in the Art of Archery" by E. Herrigel and D.T. Suzuki...FWIW....mikey357

This book has a real harmony to the present pistol shooting and especially Zen teaching, I've found it awesome!:

"Zen Bow, Zen Arrow" - The Life and Teachings of Awa Kenzo, the Archery Master from Zen in the Art of Archery

By John Stevens

Not so philosophically heavy as Friedreich Nietzsche or BE :ph34r: (just kidding)

Wish You all nice reading!!!