Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vic Pickett Spring Kits

Northern Xtreme

Let's see, at the 2006 USPSA Revolver National Championships Jerry used Jerry's special springkit, Nils used Vic's Blackmagic springkit , and Mike Carmoney was third using something else. And I know for a fact that both Jerry and Nils used the Red ,White and Blue Jerry grips made by Hogue.

Is that about right?

Edited by Viggen

Let's see, at the 2006 USPSA Revolver National Championships Jerry used Jerry's special springkit, Nils used Vic's Blackmagic springkit , and Mike Carmoney was third using something else. And I know for a fact that both Jerry and Nils used the Red ,White and Blue Jerry grips made by Hogue.

Is that about right?

:D:P:lol:

I have some of those Red White and Blue grips, I might have to try 'em B)

(ps, I use the Wolff spring kits from Brownells)

Is that about right?

What!! JM's not using Bang produced grips! Is nothing sacred after 20+years!

Mike quit yappin' and let's start selling the Car$Edge Spring Kit! :rolleyes:

I'll help make 'em for the right royalties. Maybe a Sponsorship?

Edited by pskys2

Is that about right?

I used a factory mainspring that I bent against my workbench, and the stock rubber Hogues that came on the gun.

Man, it tortures me to think about how well I could've done if only I had been using the right springs and grips......... ;)

If we priced them at $90 a set, do you suppose some of these guys would figure they're twice as good as Vic's? ;)

I used a factory mainspring that I bent against my workbench, and the stock rubber Hogues that came on the gun.

Man, it tortures me to think about how well I could've done if only I had been using the right springs and grips......... ;)

If we priced them at $90 a set, do you suppose some of these guys would figure they're twice as good as Vic's? ;)

Maybe not quite twice as good as Vic's but for most folks who aren't about to go around bending springs, no matter what, Vic's and Jerry's, and maybe even your superduper gurenteed winkit might be just the ticket. Be competitive in the pricing.

Remember, in the business world, it's the market that decides what's good.

Maybe not quite twice as good as Vic's but for most folks who aren't about to go around bending springs, no matter what, Vic's and Jerry's, and maybe even your superduper gurenteed winkit might be just the ticket. Be competitive in the pricing.

That's for sure, Vig.

Think of all those shooters out there who thought they needed a special $2,500 gun to do well in Limited, and then some guy goes and beats everybody at the Limited Nationals with a frickin' Glock.

Won't slow the STI/SVI market down a bit, though, I'll bet. As long as I can remember, there have been IPSC shooters who can't rid themselves of the instinct that "if it costs more $$ it must be better." It's just human nature.

That's for sure, Vig.

Think of all those shooters out there who thought they needed a special $2,500 gun to do well in Limited, and then some guy goes and beats everybody at the Limited Nationals with a frickin' Glock.

Won't slow the STI/SVI market down a bit, though, I'll bet. As long as I can remember, there have been IPSC shooters who can't rid themselves of the instinct that "if it costs more $$ it must be better." It's just human nature.

Carmoney, for what it is worth. Randy Hollowbush did the trigger on both my revo's, and both of them have a spring bent in a vice, 100% reliable and perfect weight and smoothness for me. My thoughts are ... if a Master Gunsmith of 30 something years says it works I believe them, especially him.

That's for sure, Vig.

I'm not saying that cost does anything to improve stuff - I didn't mean to make it sound like that. I shoot Glocks too and I truely believe the difference between my G35 and the $3000 S_I is $2500 and my gun always works. With the springs, I just don't know how to bend them and I'm not going to spend the time to figure that part of things out. It would cost me too much in time to figure it out to make it worth doing. My life is too packed with other stuff that has to come before spring bending.

Reliability above all......

I was actually more interested in the rebound springs. I also dont know what Vic charges for his spring kits but thought I would check out the price compared to the others. I hate having to buy the whole kit with all the different weight springs when I only plan to use one weight, and I dont really like cutting rebound springs.

I also hate the mainspring with the power band crimp thing in it. I have a mod done on all of my revolvers that I like alot. I install a set screw on the strain screw and then I back off the mainspring to where it will reliably set off federal primers and lock it down. Works great for me. I dont have to bend springs or file strain screws. ;)

Yeah Vic is a good guy, I spent some time B.S.ing with him at the '94 S&W invitationals when he was shooting an RPM 8 shooter. He is a riot and loved giving the bottom feeders crap. He even used a 1911 barrel to remove spent cases from moonclips.

I have a mod done on all of my revolvers that I like alot. I install a set screw on the strain screw and then I back off the mainspring to where it will reliably set off federal primers and lock it down. Works great for me. I dont have to bend springs or file strain screws. ;)

NX: I've seen this done, it's a much better idea than just relying on loc-tite to hold a loosened strain screw in place. BUT--on some guns as you turn out the strain screw to reduce tension and lighten up the action, you can reach a point where a stock mainspring will start "knuckling" as the spring loses its arch. You're usually OK if you're only trying to reduce spring tension moderately--if you're trying to go the full custom competition super-light action route, just adjusting the strain screw usually won't work.

With the springs, I just don't know how to bend them and I'm not going to spend the time to figure that part of things out. It would cost me too much in time to figure it out to make it worth doing. My life is too packed with other stuff that has to come before spring bending.

I hear ya, Viggen. It's just that revolvers tend to vary so much from gun to gun that springs are not reallly a drop-in proposition, if your goal is to create the perfect competition action job. I've done a lot of revolver actions over the years, and I find there's usually quite a bit of fine-tuning that goes along with it. (Not sure I'd mess with it if I couldn't test-fire out my back door....)

I have a mod done on all of my revolvers that I like alot. I install a set screw on the strain screw and then I back off the mainspring to where it will reliably set off federal primers and lock it down. Works great for me. I dont have to bend springs or file strain screws. ;)

NX: I've seen this done, it's a much better idea than just relying on loc-tite to hold a loosened strain screw in place. BUT--on some guns as you turn out the strain screw to reduce tension and lighten up the action, you can reach a point where a stock mainspring will start "knuckling" as the spring loses its arch. You're usually OK if you're only trying to reduce spring tension moderately--if you're trying to go the full custom competition super-light action route, just adjusting the strain screw usually won't work.

With the springs, I just don't know how to bend them and I'm not going to spend the time to figure that part of things out. It would cost me too much in time to figure it out to make it worth doing. My life is too packed with other stuff that has to come before spring bending.

I hear ya, Viggen. It's just that revolvers tend to vary so much from gun to gun that springs are not reallly a drop-in proposition, if your goal is to create the perfect competition action job. I've done a lot of revolver actions over the years, and I find there's usually quite a bit of fine-tuning that goes along with it. (Not sure I'd mess with it if I couldn't test-fire out my back door....)

That's why you sell "Kits" with multiple weight springs. Then a Video to explain how to install and adjust everything. Then an address so they can send it to ya' and for a few $ more fix it right.

Man the "Market Place" is so good.

If it can be tinkered with on my gun, I'll end up doing it :o many times buying a new part cause I over tinkered the thing. But, hey tinkering with my guns is half the fun. If all I had to do was load ammo and shoot matches, I'd never practice. Then I'd never be able to feel the heady experience of beating a Dr. Dremel or El Conquistador or a Danbagger. Maybe I can catch a JM with pneumonia some day and eek out a win, now that would be the ultimate. Have to get the voodoo dolls back out. Anyone have a lock of JM's hair?

I was actually more interested in the rebound springs. I also dont know what Vic charges for his spring kits but thought I would check out the price compared to the others. I hate having to buy the whole kit with all the different weight springs when I only plan to use one weight, and I dont really like cutting rebound springs.

I also hate the mainspring with the power band crimp thing in it. I have a mod done on all of my revolvers that I like alot. I install a set screw on the strain screw and then I back off the mainspring to where it will reliably set off federal primers and lock it down. Works great for me. I dont have to bend springs or file strain screws. ;)

Yeah Vic is a good guy, I spent some time B.S.ing with him at the '94 S&W invitationals when he was shooting an RPM 8 shooter. He is a riot and loved giving the bottom feeders crap. He even used a 1911 barrel to remove spent cases from moonclips.

NX, here's a web page for a set of Wolff reduced rebound springs, you can get 5 different

weights, 11lbs-15lbs for $9.00

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/Pro...+REBOUND+SPRING

Figure out which one you want and then order a 10 pak maybe :)

Wilsons spring kit doesn't have the rib, works fine also. (so why you be haten my rib :o )

I have tried the "bendy spring" option and haven't had it work yet in 3 tries, as Mike says,

he can open his door and test fire out the back door so that's a plus. I bring enough crap

to the range and never muched like "gumsmithing" on guns there.

The other option is the drilled out primer only cases to check for ignition, watch out for

fire hazards :D

So I see your from Maine, where do shoot USPSA ??

(or have we met and my old-timers is kickin' in :wacko: )

Edited by 10mmdave

stuff that has to come before spring bending.

Oh, I totally agree. There is work involved.

Wow, to be able to test-fire out the back door - would be nice. If I did that my next group of visitors would be the local nazi swat unit with a greenlight, and I just have no desire for a bullet in the head.

Vic's spring kits are more than just a tweaked or trimmed spring. He has other treatments done to them but I can't remember what it was off the top of my head.

I would say most revolver shooters I know of all shoot guns with his springs and that includes TGO as well.

He put a set in a new revolver for a shooter after last months ICORE match and I can remember him saying after testing it out, "Wow, what a difference that makes for a smooth and crisp light trigger".

I have them in my 686 and it is set heavier than most others but runs a nice 5 1/2 lbs.

He put a lot of time and work into the development of his spring kit and for the cost it is well worth it.

Vic's spring kits are more than just a tweaked or trimmed spring. He has other treatments done to them but I can't remember what it was off the top of my head.

I would say most revolver shooters I know of all shoot guns with his springs and that includes TGO as well.

He put a set in a new revolver for a shooter after last months ICORE match and I can remember him saying after testing it out, "Wow, what a difference that makes for a smooth and crisp light trigger".

I have them in my 686 and it is set heavier than most others but runs a nice 5 1/2 lbs.

He put a lot of time and work into the development of his spring kit and for the cost it is well worth it.

This is my story and I'm sticking to it

My 625 started missing. I am not to be confused with someone with any mechanical aptitude.

After examining every possible reason (except the right one), I replaced the mainspring. The gun had had a Clark trigger job a couple of years back. The signature of the Clark job is the special bending of the spring and modification of the set screw (a problem that manifested itself later :) ).

The problem with the gun turned out to be the failure of the mainspring which had been bent and gave up the ghost (I am told) prematurely

I plopped in a Vic kit and have been happily ever after. After lightening the strain screw to allow for trigger reset and lock tightening it, the gun was smooth as ever with a lighter pull.

The treatment he gives his spring is called cryogenic, I believe. I am interested to see how long they last. They are expensive, but, my time is too.

A plus is Vic is very pleasant to deal with and very forthcoming with information

As an aside, I am going back to Hogue rubbers for the weekend :)

Edited by underlug

That is exactly my experience with bending the springs. Which I have also done in the past. After bending the spring it gradually looses power over time. Its not an exact science.

I have had the strain screw set mod done on 5 different revolvers over a 15 year period, one PPC revolver, one for Bianchi cup, IDPA, and IPSC revolvers and I have never experienced any problem. I can back them off until they are to light to fire and it will still cycle the action properly.

The other thing I like about this mod is it allows me to simply crank up the pressure if I want to shoot winchester primers or any factory loads. It doesnt even hurt the integrity of the gun as a carry piece.

I usually scratch a little mark where it needs to be for Fed primers, & another for Win primers.

When my wife isnt home I load up shells with just primers, put on my ear muffs, and touch them off right in the house to set my main spring! :o

The treatment he gives his spring is called cryogenic, I believe.

If they have to have cryopractic adjustment, it's no wonder they're so damn expensive. ;)

After bending the spring it gradually looses power over time. Its not an exact science.

I'll agree with you it's not an exact science. I'll disagree that bent springs lose power over time. I have several guns on which I did the actions well over ten years ago--all are absolutely reliable and match-worthy today after lots of time and lots of use.

FYI: Since we're dropping names, Randy Lee is a spring bender.

I am going back to Hogue rubbers for the weekend :)

Cliff, you want to field this one?? ;)