Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

No Dry Firing Bare Foot

Z-man

Seems to me I encountered this advice here in the past, if so I should have paid closer attention. Tonight I learned not to dryfire barefoot because a loaded magazine (with dummy rounds) that lands on your big toe tends to ruin your concentration in addition to drawing blood! You know what they say, "no pain, no gain"! :blink:

The only dry firing I do without shoes is the facing uprange, turn and draw ones. Standing in the same spot and turning on the one spot with shoes on was showing wear on my living room carpet.....but I caught it before it got too bad and before the other half noticed. :) ....and yes I have dropped an empty mag on my foot that drew blood so I can imagine how a full one feels. By the way mine was a single stack mag and by the looks of some of these open gun mags if you got hit with one of them you'd be on crutches. :(

I am SO glad to see that someone else has encountered this! Nothing like dropping a loaded mag on your pinky-piggy to wake you up!

That being said, I still continue to dryfire barefoot. I can almost always tell when a mag is going to bounce off the bed and hit my foot, and I move my position accordingly. I like to think that I am adding an element of "unexpected" to my dryfiring :D

Kinda like don't fry bacon naked? When I first started dryfiring I was barefoot, then I hit the top of my foot with a mag full of dummies and after I picked myself up off of the floor, I promptly put on some shoes. Now I try to wear the same shoes that I will be shooting in because it feels like my stance changes.

Joe

Very true Steve. I try to make sure the mag drops straight down from my index. The bad thing is, I was doing reloads over a bed. Perhaps it's too bouncy of a matress because they kept flying off at me!

It's not just something that happens while dryfiring... I had a weird injury on a field stage while reloading. I was on the run making a mag change and the discarded mag hit my knee a bit funny. Within an hour my knee had swollen and I had a nagging pain for 2 weeks.

Maybe that's why I see all those guys wearing knee pads... :)

just stand over a bed or a chair. it's funny how much where the magazine lands on the floor can tell you what your doing wrong with the gun at times.

yes. mags on toes HURTS !!!

Doing reloads over the bed definitely did not solve the problem for me either.....

I use a big cardboard fruit crate with towels in it, sitting on top of a barstool.

I'll still miss on occasion, and then, when I hear the mag hit the side of the box, I get to do the tap dance trying to get my feet out of the way (soft mocs are what I wear indoors).

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In the past few weeks, I have gone back to dryfiring barefoot. Cleats on the carpet is a no go, and wearing socks allows me to pivot all too easilly and does not simulate match turn and draws.

That being said, I have been focused enough to dodge the occational falling mag, but I'm one broken toe away from going to steel-tipped boots.

In the past few weeks, I have gone back to dryfiring barefoot. Cleats on the carpet is a no go, and wearing socks allows me to pivot all too easilly and does not simulate match turn and draws.

That being said, I have been focused enough to dodge the occational falling mag, but I'm one broken toe away from going to steel-tipped boots.

I don't get it, why aren't you just wearing sneaks on the carpet?

I still get too much slide out of my tennis shoes. That actually translated to the last time I shot El Prez...my score was 76% nationally, but in the video, I shuffle, as opposed to turn. I had grown so accustomed to the quick pivot of sneaks/socks that I unlearned the proper technique.

I also dryfire with eye/ear equipment (obsess much Micah?)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Shoes are always optional!!

Tom

Now there's a man after my own heart! :cheers: 'Choose?? who wears shoes?? I shoot in slaps. Last time I was seen in shoes was 2004, at my friend's wedding. Mag always hits the ground between my feet.... what's the problem?? :P

"cleats on carpet"... ain't that like playin' ball on Astroturf? :D

Now... ask me how it feels to drop an 8lb sledge hammer on the big toe.... :surprise::rolleyes:

Edited by moredes