Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Me On Stage 16 At The Nationals

shred

And If it was one of the - girls on the welcom commity I bet You would not complain

At least it could have been one of those shooters' service babes... <_<

-Chet

I haven't got to that tape yet. Sheldon will probably give me good money for it :lol::lol::lol:

The link will be up and down as my DSL repeatedly crashes and restarts.

I'm not going after that person specifically-- I've got lots of butts on tape, RO's and competitors so people, if you don't want it spread (heh) on the internet, watch where you stand every so often. The tripod rarely moves. :ph34r: If you are an RO and want to stand there, please let me know so I can move the camera since you weren't standing there when I put it there. I've got no problem moving it since the RO's deserve to stand pretty much anywhere they want to.

yeah, shred that sucks. I have done enough video-ing of matches that I decided to use a ladder to shoot from at one local IDPA match.

Pardon my gratuitous shameless plug from my vids. Click this:

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=tack...tions+benchrest

I just got tired of recording the SO's and the scorekeepers backs. Then all I would really get was maybe the audio and puffs of smoke as the shooter went through the COF.

At the steel matches, where the shooter is stationary, the tripod is nice to have. Click this:

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=tack...ns+arnold+steel

(thread drift on, slightly)

Recording from the right side is nice since most people are right handed and you get to see more of the draw. Left side is a little better at watching people's trigger fingers. Video-ing from back and higher up gives those not in the know how much of a transition is involved, especially in stages like "Not Again" or "Outer Limits".

My deal is that if I actually film the match, moving with the camera, panning and zooming and all, it takes way too much effort and concentration I should be using to shoot. If I set up a tripod and let it run, I get ok video most of the time, but the plus side is I can do overlays of shooters since the camera position is fixed, like so: WacoOverlays.wmv (not my best great example, but handy)

I had that problem more than not when i did try to film Though i totally respect the RO's and their duties that they are performnig for free to us we need to find some way of making this stuff more camera friendly.... taller bipods? Camera Superior Camera placing stations or something. I have many pictures of RO's ... not that i don't love you all... but I don't think my mom, or travel buddy's mom and wife care ;)

Also maybe speak with the RO's politely before you go on the range to shoot... how could they tell Who the camera belonged to.. or if it was even on?

hey shred, yep, that was pretty slick.

What kind of software are you using for that?

I noticed it was a .wmv. My experience with taking a .mpg and using Windows Movie Maker is that when it turns into a .wmv the resolution gets really bad. But your resolution was really good.

The other thing I wish SO's would catch on to is when they see someone out there with a video camera is to say the raw time out loud, so the camera's microphone can pick it up, and then shout out the target scores.

At this local IDPA match I shot yesterday, I realized I could have clamped my camera onto the wooden "berms" they have separating the bays. That would have allowed me to get an uprange video and the SO and the scorekeeper would have been in the background. My camera has a remote, so I could have used that to "hit" record and stop on the camera.

I have been thinking of a really tall mono pod and a remote monitor so I can see waht is actually happening.

We have also go to a low camera angle at times. gives a whole different perspective on a stage.

Sadly the remote on my Canon ZR is too short ranged to place the camera out in teh field and start it from behiund the shooter.

Jim

hey shred, yep, that was pretty slick.

What kind of software are you using for that?

I noticed it was a .wmv. My experience with taking a .mpg and using Windows Movie Maker is that when it turns into a .wmv the resolution gets really bad. But your resolution was really good.

That was done with Windows Movie Maker 2. A little-known feature is in timeline mode, you can grab the clips (or audio tracks) on the timeline and slide them over each other for an overlap. It makes for great transition effects, and if you slide them far enough, you get the overlaid-shooter mode. It's a little hinky, but works ok.

The trick to nice looking WMVs that are downloadable size for me is to use the lowest bitrate that gives me 640x480 video. If I get all fancy with it, I'll do my own transcode with the Windows Media Encoder where I've made a special conversion setup just for web shooting videos, but most of the time I don't bother and make people suck up the extra MB's.

All,

I 'think' there is an easy solution to this problem... let the RO's know what you are trying to do. Don't assume that they will be paying attention to camera positions because that is not their focus. If someone tells me that they intend to video my stage, I always try to comply and keep people out of the way of the camera... assuming they are not asking to get in a position that I am uncomfortable with, or blocks us from the competitors (yes, there are those of you that I have asked to move the camera because I felt it was a safety issue. Sorry...)

While I think everyone on the Nationals staff will help you through this, I can only speak for myself... If you want to video my stage, please talk to me about it, and I will comply as long as it does not cause either a safety issue, or some other issue. ;)

Besides... I don't ever want to see MY ASS on a video like that... :lol::lol::lol: