Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Women's Open Champion

Congratulations to Kay! She was amazing to watch. She earned it as it was a tough race. I am always greatful to be on the ladies squad because I get to see the best of the best. Their styles are all so different too. Lisa and Athena are fleet of foot and fast of finger. Sheryl can pull a trigger! She ran Swingers to the Max in a blaze that was simply stunning. But Kay's strength, always smooth, moving and shooting with good points, in the end put her over the top. Way to go Kay!!!

OK, I'm not going to take it personally that most of you voted for Athena......actually that's where my money was too! I shot with Athena at several matches this year and I just couldn't stay with her. What can I say, she just had a bad Nationals.......it happens. But I'm sure she will be back with a vengence next year.

I loved this match. It was made for me! Three stages that resembled the old 50 yard standards we used to see at every Nationals only shorter! And there were plus 25 yard shots thrown in on most of the otherwise squirt stages. You really had to be able to shift gears in the middle of the stages. There were no long field courses with long sprints either. Even the high round count stages were divided into short sprints and in most cases many of the targets could be shot on the move. Slower feet were not a huge disadvantage if you were willing to shot on the move.

I too was impressed with Desiree who I soundly beat by .4911 points. Sometimes alot of luck mixed in with a little skill can make the difference! I was also impressed with Rebecca Jones who shot an amazing match considering it was her very first Open Nationals. Rebecca finished a strong third. Unfortunately I never got to see either of these ladies shoot.

Along with Desiree, Rebecca and Athena there were several other ladies that came away with some excellent stage percentages. There were at least five women that had 80% to 87% on individual stages. Way to go ladies! You've got the horsepower......with time and lots of practice the consistency will come.

I might add that I was not one of the ladies that had high overall percentages on any individual stage. In fact, I only won one out of eighteen stages. But I did stay in the top three on 2/3rds of the stages. This time around slow (but not too slow) and steady won the race!

Again, congratulations Kay! You did an awesome job.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, guys, but unfortunately, I couldn't quite pull it off this time. I gotta find an 'off' switch for this brain of mine. But otherwise, I can't really complain. There was just an incredible field of competitors out there. I am happy with the knowledge that we will definitely have a great pool of talented ladies to choose from to make up the US ladies team for the next world shoot.

Congrats to all the ladies! (and yeah, the guys too...)

Congratulations to all the ladies at this match. I've just been going over the scores and there are some amazing percentages out there. There were some high 80%'s stage scores by some of the ladies. If these kind of scores start becoming more frequent then the 80% match score won't be far behind.

Next years race for the World Shoot team should be interesting to watch. My understanding is that there will be three IPSC matches that will be used to determine the team members. I'm pretty certain that Kay and Athena will be on the Open team, not sure who else will be shooting open and who will be going for Standard or Production. With only three matches everyone will have to pick just one division to shoot in.

There's no doubt that Team USA is going to be the team to beat in '08

Congrats again, Kay :) I agree with your assessment of the match - it was a well rounded test, especially for Open guns.

Athena - they tell me the "off" switch is accessed by drinking heavily at night during the match :D