Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2006 Idpa Nationals

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was a good match. I do think the Carolina Cup is better but I am biased b/c I shoot at that club all the time. I shot on Thursday which I think turned out to be an advantage. I really screwed up some stages but had it together on others. My goal was top 5 in SSP but considering how I felt about my day, 8th was a pleasant surprise. I did win a stage which was a complete surprise. I did squad with Taran Butler which was a learning experience. To say that he is smooth and fast is an understatement. All in all, a good match that I'm glad I went to. Thanks to all who worked. This was only the 2nd major IDPA match in 4 years that I havent worked so it was funny for all the people I knew asking me what stage I was on. Congrats to all who won, placed or showed.

This year tasked every shooter just look at the points down and the times. and I wish to thank all the great people who ran the stages you deserve all our thanks. To gave us three days of your time to opperate a match of this size says a lot. I solute you

Now This isn't intended to start something. its an observation and apparently the only critisism but should be said of a National Caliber Match. The Carolina Match has always been better from a club who injects effort and imagination into stages and props. Many clubs spend time with their stage set ups to provide a challange for the shooters and this is what I would expect from a National level contest. In this effort Arkansas let us all down this year over the past years. Sorry guys but even though I had a great time and avoided most of the rain your stage designs were pour and reflected less effort than a monthly club match provides. I just feel Nationals should provide a level above State, Regional or club stages.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

Curt Nichols is truly amazing. If he weren't such a great guy and honest competitor I'd hold a grudge. Did you know he made MA in 4 divisions by winning at the Natl's?

It was a great match - they know how to run things in AR. CSOing and the weather made for some long days but it was a pleasure to work with everyone at CASA.

Thanks for catching my pale spindley legs on tape Julie - couldn't you have picked another stage to video Taran on?

Craig

I still agree with and fully support the SSR/ESR split.

I love all the sports that's why i shoot everthing.. so far this year i have shot matches in

USPSA

IPSC

IDPA

NRA Action Pistol

NRA Bullseye

Indoor Bullseye match

Steel Challenge style matches

Skeet of some kind

Sporting clays.. amazing fun

as soon as i get my rifle going i'll shoot a High power and some NRA sillouette with my 44 mag (when the range is built)

I love all shooting.. It greatly saddens me that we can't all get along... the shot gunners want me to quit pistol shooting the NRA want me to quit anything fast, the IDPA want me to quit USPSA ( only in some places) and USPSA ask why i do IDPA..... we'll not even talk about the cowboy match where i couldn't use my name ( kidding it's just a joke i had a blast.... once i learned what my name was ;) hehe)

why would anyone in their right mind show up with a gun that did not meet the criteria for their division?

right there deserves a ftdr for stupidity

+10

No +20

That is cold!

Do you know the facts, was it on purpose or by some error or do ya just get off flaming on people.

You reduce the sport and yourself by making these kind of statements.

And I thought all the shooters I met over the week were great people sharing a common sport now this attitude changed all that.

Craig,

So that's the thanks I get for making you a star??? Jeesh... ;)

Thanks again (Kim too!) for working hard and congrats on your finish!

All the best,

Julie

Thanks Julie - I guess my dream of becoming a Chippendale action film star was a pipe dream anyway.

Thanks for the kind words and it's always great to see you.

Craig

why would anyone in their right mind show up with a gun that did not meet the criteria for their division?

right there deserves a ftdr for stupidity

+10

No +20

That is cold!

Do you know the facts, was it on purpose or by some error or do ya just get off flaming on people.

You reduce the sport and yourself by making these kind of statements.

And I thought all the shooters I met over the week were great people sharing a common sport now this attitude changed all that.

Please enlighten us. I want to know what they were using so I don't use it.

Without criticizing any of the shooters who got FTDR for overweight guns, here is what I did:

Realize that Division weights were getting a lot of attention.

Put CDP on kitchen scales... over.

Remove steel-backed Pachmayr grips, replace with walnut and tape... right at maximum.

Find 3 lb postal scales, reweigh... half ounce over.

Remove FLGR, replace with GI... half ounce under.

Match scales... right at maximum.

Now how much trouble was that to abide by the rules?

I was told by another shooter that if you were slightly over on the cheapo scales at the chronograph station, you could request reweighing on postal scales at the clubhouse but I don't know anybody who did that.

Best I can tell, in general, you could not have both a FLGR and a mag well funnel on a 1911 and make weight.

Edited by Jim Watson

I thought all of those parts were specifically allowed on CDP pistols (as long as they fit into the box)? It seems that adding a weight restriction to CDP is sort of like double jeopardy for shooters. All of what you mention are what I have on my carry gun. I thought in CDP that as long as you didn't have prohibited modifications, you were OK?

Without criticizing any of the shooters who got FTDR for overweight guns, here is what I did:

Realize that Division weights were getting a lot of attention.

Put CDP on kitchen scales... over.

Remove steel-backed Pachmayr grips, replace with walnut and tape... right at maximum.

Find 3 lb postal scales, reweigh... half ounce over.

Remove FLGR, replace with GI... half ounce under.

Match scales... right at maximum.

Now how much trouble was that to abide by the rules?

I was told by another shooter that if you were slightly over on the cheapo scales at the chronograph station, you could request reweighing on postal scales at the clubhouse but I don't know anybody who did that.

Best I can tell, in general, you could not have both a FLGR and a mag well funnel on a 1911 and make weight.

Edited by Jack Suber

I thought all of those parts were specifically allowed on CDP pistols (as long as they fit into the box)? It seems that adding a weight restriction to CDP is sort of like double jeopardy for shooters. All of what you mention are what I have on my carry gun. I thought in CDP that as long as you didn't have prohibited modifications, you were OK?
Jack - It's not double jeopardy. You can have all that stuff on the gun, as long as it makes weight and fits in the box. You just have those two criteria to meet. The fact that some of our carry gear doesn't meet the competition rules is an unintended consequence. As a whole, the rules are pretty fair. They had to draw a line somewhere.

Jack - It's not double jeopardy. You can have all that stuff on the gun, as long as it makes weight and fits in the box.

Seems like that allows you to make choices and tradeoffs in your equipment that suit your needs best, as well???

I think showing up to the nationals with an over weight gun is poor planning on the shooters part. Before I shot just a local match with my ESP gun I weighed it three times( on different scales) and tested it in the box at leat 6 times. If I had gone to nationals I probably would have weighed it everyday for a month and stored it in an offical box so it would not grow any over night. ;)

I thought all of those parts were specifically allowed on CDP pistols (as long as they fit into the box)? It seems that adding a weight restriction to CDP is sort of like double jeopardy for shooters.

Jack,

There has been the same weight restriction on CDP for at least a half a decade. There is a free rulebood at IDPA Website

Ken Reed

Edited by freeidaho

It is the shooter's responsibility to check their equipment for the items listed in the rulebook. It's just like checking the power factor of your ammo.

On the other hand if the match staff is going to weigh guns then it is on them to make sure they have an accurate and calibrated scale.

As far as what you can have on a given CDP gun it totally depends on the parts, especially the frame and slide. Some parts have more metal and therefore get to 41oz much faster. There are plenty of 5" steel 1911 guns with Bomar's, magwells, and FLGR that make weight without a problem.

I was kinda sweating it at the Badlands match when I put my stainless 5" Colt 1911 .45 on the scale. It has a magwell, Bomar type rear sight, a SS one piece, FLGR, Videki trigger (instead of the cheap plastic factory one), a metal flat checkered MSH (again instead of the cheap plasic factory one). Their digital scale at that OK state match said my gun weighed 40.8 oz with an empty (shooting star/chip mccormick with plastic base pad) mag inserted.

After getting my brand new UM kydex paddle holster looked at by the MD and him getting a second opinion from the Asst. MD about the 3/4" dowel between lovehandle and gun's frame, to see the .8 flicker to .9 on the digital scale....yeah I was kinda nervous.

(don't take my comments as knocking the Badlands match or the staff, it was a very good match with well thought out stages. and it was only the 2nd major match I have ever shot in. amazing! the amount of time and effort to put on that match by everyone involved. stay tuned to Tackleberry Productions for when I upload match video from the Badlands to google vids)

Julie, thanks for posting vids of the Nat's.

Unfortunately, I had to back out at the last minute and couldn't go. I'm kicking myself now, especially since next year it will be in PA.

As this was my first Nationals, I would like to say that I had a blast. I was able to meet quite a few folks including Julie G., Dave S., Ernie L., Jerry. M., Peggy C., Bill W. I got to watch and video Vogel throughout most of Thursday's stages. He is a great shooter. I've now had the pleasure of being defeated by him in 3 different matches. Nice job Bob!!!!!

Julie Goloski is a class act. It was a great pleasure to talk with her and watch her shoot.

I don't think anyone mentioned Jerry's 7.40s El Prez. WOW!!!!!!!! I've got it on video.

Congratulations to the Michigan shooters.

SSP MA - Dick Lichon 15th place

SSP EX - Jack Calcut 3rd place

ESR EX - Gary Cuttitta 1st place (somebody sign his card)

I look forward to next years Nats. Hopefully, mother nature will be more kind to some of us next year ;)

I wouldn't be so fast to be critical of those who's guns showed up overweight.

I guess if they missed weight by an ounce or two it's on them, but weighed my stainless Springfield on two different scales before the Pa state match this year. On one scale I was 40.9 ounces and on the other 41.3 ounces. It is entirely possbile that some guys did weigh their guns and thought their equipment was under 41 ounces only to find out that their scale was off enough to put them over 41 ounces. In my case I ditched my Davidson's wyrm grips for the original cocobolo grips and saved myself .5 ounces to err on the safe of caution. If I had gone off the first reading (when the second one was right) and Teddy checked the weights I would have had a FTDR headed my way even though I thought my gun was good to go. Just food for thought.

Now if someone showed up with a 43 ounces CDP gun, then shame on them.

On the weight issues... I showed up to a gun that was Dead on the money. any more and it would have been over. Factory weight stated the gun was 33 ounces. a 2 ounce addition of a mag well and a 1.2-2 ounce addition of a base pad should not equal over 40... maybe they weighed without mag??? or with wood grips? as mine were the rubber grips but the gun fit in the box just dandy!

I am usually pretty anal about that made sure the gun fit in the box and all. But never thought the weight would come close to being an issue!!!