Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tiger Woods Won

glock17w

It is just incredible to me that with the talent he faces on a weekly basis he wins easily. If he shows up with 80-85% of his game he gives them all they can handle, if he shows up with 90% or more of his game he schools them!! There is more depth on the professional tour now than there ever has been, and he stomps them. His talent and will to win are amazing.

I sense this thread being closed in 5.... 4.... 3....

I agree w/ you guys... :) I think his strength is not his physical game (though he obviously has a lot of talent there), but his mental game. When he's strong there, and determined to win, he just does. Mistakes result in miraculous saves, etc... That may result in some, uh, acting out when things aren't going his way - I think that's unfortunate. Still doesn't take away from the guy's game, though....

He has great work ethic and mental toughness. He knows what it takes to win.

glock17w

Pretty amazing. What remains to be seen is whether he can stay focused for enough years to re-write all the records. That's the hard part. Nicklaus was at top compettive form throughout a total of four decades (and won a major in four differnet decades). If Woods chooses to dedicate to that level, he will probably be the best eventually.

He has over 50 titles and in excess of 60 MILLION dollars in tournament winnings, all in ten years time. If he stays healthy and focused for another 6-8 years he will own all of the records, he won't need any more time than that. He is well past half way through the tournament wins and majors that Jack won already. Incredible accomplishments whether you like the guy or not.

LOL, saw in a magzine that he bought that pretty new wife of his a $22 MILLION yacht for a wedding gift. Don't know if it is even true, but sounds like he has found an outlet for at least a small part of his money. He has lots of toys, fast cars, boats, etc.

Tiger doesn't need to spend money. People keep giving him crap. Really high dollar crap. A developer gave Woods a 1-2 million dollar house here on Lake Coeur d'Alene just so they could say Tiger lived there. Pretty sure that's the rule for a lot of the guy's lifestyle. House will probably sell for 5M to some yutz who can then tell all his buddies how he lives in a house that Tiger might have seen in a picture once.

I love the look in his eyes, almost like he's saying "Ok who's taking second?" His mental game is second to none.

He has borrowed TGO's aproach to competing:

It's not whether you win or lose, it's how bad you stomp the guy in second.

I love the look in his eyes, almost like he's saying "Ok who's taking second?" His mental game is second to none.

I'd very much disagree that Tiger's mental game is solid. It isn't, although it has gotten a little better. he rattles pretty easily for a high level competitor, and I've seen him mentally "check out" many times when his A game wasn't firing on all cylinders.

Nicklaus was the best and always will be for that aspect. he had a "machine face" he switched into whenever he was sizing up a shot.... he could block out everything on earth except that single shot before him when he had to. Nicklaus' physical superiority over other players (if he hdid have any) ws not a large amount. he beat them with his brain.

Interesting thing to see about Nicklaus is not just how many major victories he had, but also the number of times he finished second. he never backed off, not even an inch even when he did not have a chance to win. IMHO, that's where Tiger is weak. When he gets the idea he doesn't have his "full set" going, he frequently checks out mentally and doesn't give a crap. That's why he oscillates between such extremes of performance.

When he gets the idea he doesn't have his "full set" going, he frequently checks out mentally and doesn't give a crap. That's why he oscillates between such extremes of performance.

i think you hit the nail on the head there... i have no dislike for tiger and feel if i met him in person i would have a great liking and respect for him.. i meant no disrespect in my post.

Interesting thing to see about Nicklaus is not just how many major victories he had, but also the number of times he finished second. he never backed off, not even an inch even when he did not have a chance to win. IMHO, that's where Tiger is weak.

Well, I'll disagree with you there.

Going down the stretch, how many players faced off against Jack, head-to-head, and beat him? Plenty -- Watson, Trevino, Johnny Miller, etc.

How many of today's players -- who, based on numbers, should be superior to Jack's peers -- can say the same? Put Tiger in the final pairing on Sunday, and who is beating him?

Why do you consider coming in "2nd" a sign of mental toughness? :)

There are days when your game is not good enough to win. Finishing high on those days takes more mental fortitude, than winning when you are at the top of your game.

Thats what I think anyway...

Edited by wide45

There are days when your game is not good enough to win. Finishing high on those days takes more mental fortitude, than winning when you are at the top of your game.

Tiger is in a unique position compared to the rest of the tour. He's out there for the wins (especially at the majors) as he is chasing Nicklaus.

2nd place really doesn't mean that much to him anymore. Therefore, when he's out of contention, the incentive of a little more $$$ (relatively speaking) isn't there for him as it is for 99% of the other guys.

When there is a glimmer of hope, I do appreciate the fact that he will do his darndest despite starting 4 or 5 strokes back on Sunday.

To keep beating this horse....

2006 PGA season:

14 events played

7 victories

10 top 10 finishes

12 top 25 finishes

1 W/D ( was sick)

1 missed cut (since he was an amateur he hadn't previously missed a cut in a major).

I just am not seeing where the record supports the assertion that he doesn't have the mental toughness to "hang in there" even if he's out of it. :huh: Granted 2nd is better than top-25, but top-25 certainly does not imply slacking it, given the caliber of the players on the Tour.

And, if he's in a position where 2nd is a possiblity, he usually wins. 7 wins, 1 "2nd", and 1 "3rd", this year, out of 14 events.

Finally, consider this:

Woods -- playoff record: 10 - 1

Nicklaus -- playoff record: 13-10

:blink:

It's no surprise that this topic has been monitored closely. Congratulations to all that have kept it civil...

If we can continue to focus on Tiger's skills and his winning record and not on his personal issues this may be an interesting discussion. And it will most probably remain open.

Thanks...

Golfers make sooooooo much money for finishing in the top 10, when winning is two or three shots away, they just console themselves with the money and let him have it...wasn't that way for Palmer, Nicklaus, Miller, Watson and the rest they wanted the title .... :(

Golfers make sooooooo much money for finishing in the top 10, when winning is two or three shots away, they just console themselves with the money and let him have it...wasn't that way for Palmer, Nicklaus, Miller, Watson and the rest they wanted the title .... :(

I disagree. Difference between 1st and 2nd is probably close to a half million now and the diff between 2nd and 3rd is very significant. Everyone is pawing for each and every stroke up at that level. I don't think you give the other players enough credit if you think they're just throwing up their hands and 'letting Tiger have it.'

Interesting thing to see about Nicklaus is not just how many major victories he had, but also the number of times he finished second. he never backed off, not even an inch even when he did not have a chance to win. IMHO, that's where Tiger is weak.

Well, I'll disagree with you there.

Going down the stretch, how many players faced off against Jack, head-to-head, and beat him? Plenty -- Watson, Trevino, Johnny Miller, etc.

How many of today's players -- who, based on numbers, should be superior to Jack's peers -- can say the same? Put Tiger in the final pairing on Sunday, and who is beating him?

Why do you consider coming in "2nd" a sign of mental toughness? :)

I consider not checking out mentally and keeping it close a sign of both mental discipline and maturity. IMHO, those are Tiger's achilles heels.

Tiger does close well when he has his game firing. No question. he also has fallen apart when it wasn't.

You're right, and that's what separates the really good from the legendary.

I just am not seeing where the record supports the assertion that he doesn't have the mental toughness to "hang in there" even if he's out of it.

It's his conduct on the course that supports the assertion that his mental game needs work.

In anutshell, he isn't hungry like Nicklaus was. Nicklaus played at high level for a very long time just because he loved the game that much and would put in the work it takes to stay there.

I don't see Woods showing that kind of discipline. Just my opinion, he could change that.

And back in those days, golfers weren't making tens of millions every year in endorsements like they do now.

Edited by bountyhunter