Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Golf Carts

Steve Moneypenny

As I look forward to upcoming nationals I book motels, plan my budget which I admit is pretty meek many times. But then I get down to this one thing. Golf carts! $40 per day to rent a flipping golf cart! Plus we get nailed with a $25 delivery fee.

Now, this idea has had to come up before, a Farm tractor and Hay wagon which would be nearly free for the match if not totally free. I can't help but wonder who's a buddy or benefactor of who that is keeping the golf cart company the sole means of getting ot the match.

Monitarily I am not wealthy, in order to get the time to go to matches I've taken a year off of steady work, given up about every other nicety in life to be able to shoot pistol matches. No one will give me vacation time to shoot a match without 1 years experience, bottom line. Luckily I am young and this gives me the opportunity to condition myself for the upcoming miles of walking done at the match.

I also know there are people who aren't as moblie as I am which leaves them with little to no choice in the matter they will have to rent a golf cart.

Having to walk it all is rediculous, many modes of transportation are available. (minivan, tractor/trailer) this has been done at a number of major matches I've attended.

I've walked around Barry a couple of times w/o a golf cart, and when they were still using the rifle range for a stage. It won't be that bad... :D

For $40/day... you could go to a golf course and rent the damn thing for that much, probably. That's just silly...

Edited by XRe

As I look forward to upcoming nationals I book motels, plan my budget which I admit is pretty meek many times. But then I get down to this one thing. Golf carts! $40 per day to rent a flipping golf cart! Plus we get nailed with a $25 delivery fee.

Now, this idea has had to come up before, a Farm tractor and Hay wagon which would be nearly free for the match if not totally free. I can't help but wonder who's a buddy or benefactor of who that is keeping the golf cart company the sole means of getting ot the match.

The used to do that. You could pick it up down below S&W hall between the barn and the .22 ranges.

The golf carts are nice to have but you don't really need them and they are way over-priced. I figured this out half way through last years nationals. I bought one of the small iShot bags and put only what I needed into it, so I didn't have so much to carry.

All my other stuff (spare parts etc.) I left in the car. No matter where you end up on the range the cars are only 5 minutes walk away so you don't need to carry so much gear. If you not carrying the gear then you don't need a cart.

I also hate the way that people drove them, they kicked up a ton of dust all over the place. Keep your guns in a bag when moving from one area to another or heading to and from lunch.

i was there last year. but was parked a long way away. (meadow across clear at the top)

Jim... got your pm.. goahead and post it.. i can't reply to your PM it says your full or have the function turned off.

I really can't see myself only carrying an I-shot bag... but i did buy a guga ribas bag and it makes long traverses much easier. ..

it's not just $40.. they are charging to deliver it to the range now!!!! and last year the price went wayyy up once the match started and people found out it was 100 degrees... makes me want to hurt people.

it's not just $40.. they are charging to deliver it to the range now!!!! and last year the price went wayyy up once the match started and people found out it was 100 degrees... makes me want to hurt people.

I think I paid $35.-/day last year with a $20 delivery charge? Yeah, it's expensive --- but when you're a water snob and it's July, and you're lugging a cooler and rangebag and more than 300 lbs. around, you rent a cart ---- or at least I did.....

So prices for people without reservations went way up last year? I reserved mine fairly early ---- April, I think for a July match.....

Wish I was going...you could ride on the back of our cart again.

You really mean he could practice vertical envelopment of the hills and valleys at PASA, right? :lol::lol::lol:

From the L, L-10, Rev Nationals web site: Golf Carts will once again be allowed at PASA Park. You may bring your own cart, or you may rent locally from TNT Golf Cart Company. To obtain rate information or to make reservations, call TNT at 217-228-2226 and ask for Maroline Long. Reservations need to be made by September 1st.

It looks like you can bring your own cart.

I'm glad they allow cart rental. I have walked the hills of PASA in the past. <_<

I also hate the way that people drove them, they kicked up a ton of dust all over the place. Keep your guns in a bag when moving from one area to another or heading to and from lunch.

Yea that kinda ticked me off too eating peoples dust

PS What does a cart cost at a decent golf range? Might be a good comparison.

Edited by BSeevers

4 wheeled golf carts are allowed i'm sure.

Reason you can't bring 4 wheeler/other ATV is that they have major speed issues. You thought golf carts made dust wait till an ATV at 20 mph+ stirs it up!!!!!

Golf carts cost about 1500 -2000 for a good one can buy them used for less than 1K which i will be doing, I bought one that had 3 wheels last winter... not pleasant on hills... so must be 4 wheeled and i would add rough tires if I were the owner. ... they make spinners, misters and all sorts of awesome stuff though.

Electric v. gas powered is another option depending upon your taste and ability to recharge.

In the future i will have to have one set up for 3 gunning i believe.

Just got back from about a 1.5 mile hike with a weighted pack (close to my range bag weight. I feel pretty good now. we'll see how i feel when i wake up! should be a breeze at barry if i do that every day now-then.

Been to Barry. With and without Golf Carts.

Walking, summer, very very VERY HOT. Not conducive to good match performance. Especially as one gets older. They carried people off the ranges in recent years! And that was with the carts!

Running a shuttle with farm wagon, OK, but to move 350 people, you need a lot of shuttles!

Private cars on the range. you need A LOT or parking space.

$40 per day for Golf cart, split with 3-4 friends. There was one person advertising for a split. He is shooting on Squad 19-36 and would split with a team from squads 1-18.

I don't like it, but I don't see a better way than what we are doing now. BTW, the "Hay Ride" was tried and didn't work all that well, too many people, not enough rides.

Looks like Tulsa will be a better venue. No long hikes every bay near the rest.

Jim Norman