Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rocky Mountain 3-gun Match Report

I came down from Minnesota with my wife, son, and two dogs. Brought the fifth wheel camper. What a great time. The campground was great, views were beautiful, and wildlife was plentiful. The only downside to the whole week spent there was the 25 hr. drive it took to get there. I drove it straight through, next year I will stop for a night I think.

The shoot was great. I shot like crap but had a good time. My son shot his second 3-gun match and did a great job. We both learned a lot from the rest of the squad. By the way, squad #2 was far and away the best squad out there :D . The competition didn't stop at the shooting, we also competed in setting steel and taping targets.

My hat is off to the RO's and the staff at the Whittington Center. My wife stated she couldn't wait to come back next year, and I hadn't even had time to think about whether I would plan on making this shoot next year or not.

Thanks to all of you in squad #2. Two newbie shooters were made to feel welcome and we both learned a lot. You all set a great example as to how shooters should act at a match. No whining, bitching, or sitting on your butts while others do all the work. Sorry we had to miss the burger and fajita party after the match.

MMMM the fajita's were great bro, I had one for ya. Group two was a great time and it was a pleasure shooting with you and your son. He is a great kid, and a heck of a shooter, not bad winning Junior and almost handing me my butt at the same time. That is a heck of a drive but I'm glad you made it. Hope to see you again, maybe at SMM3G.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a great Match! Denise, JJ and all the Ro’s did a fantastic job. We had a great time. Squad #16 was the best squad; everyone helped tape, brass and re-set targets. I can tell ya, it makes a HUGE difference when you are on a squad where everyone helps. I met some great new people who had fantastic attitudes but above all exhibited sportsmanship that was beyond reproach.

Thanks to all the sponsors JP, 3 Gun Gear, R&R Racing, and DPMS, (just to name a few) but especially Grant, Andrew and David from Sabre defense industries you Guys Rock! We enjoyed shooting with you folks.

A very special thank you to Joe Sledge (RO from stage 5) our large squad gave you a run for your money and you never complained. Your hard work is greatly appreciated.

3gungal,

we had a great time shooting with you folks also, by far the best squad I have shot with in the last 20 years! ( I started really young)

I still wished we had gotten a picture of that Couger!!!

Grant.

Great match, great terrain, great prize table, and thanks to all the RO's and sponsers.

There were some tough stages that on first look did not appear too tough but had some challenging shooting positions, (stage 1). Mostly because of my overindulgence of beer over the years.

As a tactical iron shooter I was disappointed that the top Iron shooters did not receive a plaque. All of the other big matches I have attended the Tactical iron guys were split into their own division/class. I heard this happened last year(tactical iron and tactical scoped scored together) was this planned for this year? Due to the score cards and the questions at the sign up I was under the impression they were being recognized separately.

This is pretty common at IMGA rules matches. Tactical is one class. Iron and Optic are given their own 100% on rifle stages and then the scores are folded together for a Tactical Champion. I haven't taken a close look at the results this year but I'd be willing to bet that the Iron guys did pretty well for themselves as a result. Typically there's a Kurt Miller or a Kelly Neal or a Ted Puente shooting Irons which makes the division pretty close to Optics. These guys are incredible Iron shooters with times that are as good or better than Optics shooters on a lot of stages. This one I'll be curious to see how that worked out.

This is pretty common at IMGA rules matches. Tactical is one class. Iron and Optic are given their own 100% on rifle stages and then the scores are folded together for a Tactical Champion. I haven't taken a close look at the results this year but I'd be willing to bet that the Iron guys did pretty well for themselves as a result. Typically there's a Kurt Miller or a Kelly Neal or a Ted Puente shooting Irons which makes the division pretty close to Optics. These guys are incredible Iron shooters with times that are as good or better than Optics shooters on a lot of stages. This one I'll be curious to see how that worked out.

Luckily for me niether of those three showed up :D:D I was able to take 6th in irons which bumped me up to 21st overall in Tactical. I don't remember his first name but I believe it was Underwood was his last name, he kicked some but in irons and did well for himself overall. He was able to take 100 points in every rifle stage with irons.

I almost didn't come this year. A week and a half before the match I called Blane to see if he still needed me (I had told him a few months ago I wasn't coming), and he did.

Except for repeated problems with Mr Twisted :D , it was a great time as usual. Samson thought so too.

I even fell in love...with Sue, the girl with Team Prozac.

I'm convinced the RO has the best time at the match. We get to meet everybody. With 15 knockdown steel targets on my stage (#5--Rifle/Shottygun) I needed a lot of help, and EVERY squad worked hard this year. I never heard one bitch or whine the whole match! That's a first...and a bummer, in a way--I really enjoy verbally jungle-slapping bitchers and whiners.

Seriously, ROing at RM3G is one of the highlights of my year (yes, I have no life), and it is the shooters who make it so.

One bitch from me: Tommy and Joe Wong, where were you? No crawfish etoufee, no filet mignon, no wonderful salads. Please come back. We really missed your chow--er, I mean you. And Vancouver Jack.

Take care, all. See you next year.

Joe

OK, now for controversy-

I know for a fact that everyone who had a part in making this match happen absolutely CRINGES when he/she sees credit given to Blane West.

I arrived on the previous Sunday, as I always do, to build the stages. We made this match happen in SPITE of Blane. Our determination to succeed overcame the obstacle that he was, every day (when he was there, that is.)

We worked our asses off, and Blane was always either AWOL or we wished he was. 'Nuff said about that.

I am one of many ROs who said point-blank that we will only be back next year if there is a new Match Director. JJ did a GREAT job this year, and was the true MD, minus the credit. Hulett is absolutely reliable, as a CPA must be. Denise did a great job getting stage boxes and such together, and making sure we were adequately fed and watered, if not to the standards to which the Wongs had made us accustomed. (Sigh...)

In my opinion, this is a match that is worth saving. If we are going to save it, however, let us proceed in truth, rather than perpetuating the lies of the last two years. Field made the match work last year, and JJ did this year. Blane was an impediment both years, and we covered for him.

It is painful (believe it or not) for me to say this, as Blane West has been a friend to me for 10-15 years, and was my early guru in 3gun. I could have, perhaps should have, said this after last year's match, but I held off, first deciding not to come, and then realizing I loved the match too much not to come.

I take no pleasure in making this post. In fact, I feel like a rat. But this needs to be said. It is the truth.

Slings, arrows, and grenades are now indicated, and invited.

Joe

Joe,

I really appreciate where you are coming from. And as far as I'm concerned the 3 gun forums will be open for both positive and negative critique of matches and their management. But it is not a place to get personal. I realize that this can be a very fine line.

That being said, I will lock this down if it becomes a Blaine West thrashathon or Blaine West lovefest. Everyone put your slings, arrows, and grenades away. Nuff said.

I, too, want this match to thrive and survive. I love the location, the stages, everything. But I'm concerned.

Well put Sledge, I know it was a hard line to say. And thank you Mr. Moderator.

I suspect JP is aware of any problems and working to get them resolved as well.

I've helped behind the scenes at the last 2 matches, was just going to shoot this year, but couldnt make it in the end. However, next year, oh who knows what I'll be doing for the match......but I will be involved.

This match will survive Joe....you guys made sure of that this year.

Tim

Edited by TRUBL

As promised, the sponsor contact list is attached for RM3G 06. If you shot the match, (or even if you didn't) please take the time to thank them by phone or email, especially if you got something from them from the prize table. Don't forget JP Rifles, Sabre Defence, and the Whittington Center! If it were not for sponsors, ALL of our major matches would suffer...

Sorry about this taking a while, I just got home Wednesday afternoon from surgery and am recovering at home now... I had to go under twice, seems the doc missed a bleeder the 1st time... I now know the meaning of bruising. :wacko:

Thanks to everyone who came, I hope you had a great time and enjoyed the Whittington Center!

Thanks ROs, you were best and made my job easier!

I too want the match to thrive and survive, and will do all I can! RM3G is the only major 3 gun match I have worked, and want it to continue. We are looking at dates for next year and will keep everyone up to date on RM3G 07s progress.

If you have any comments good or bad, please email or PM me thru this forum. Feedback is welcome and wanted!

Also, I hope to get the scores from Steve ASAP and get them posted on the web site. Sorry about the delay...

live long and prosper!

jj

First, for all those who put in the hours, Thank You so very much. It is a true joy for some of us to shoot and you make it happen.

Next, to all the sponsors, Thank You. I can't believe how much some of these sponsors support our sport. It is truly amaizing.

Next, Joe I can't imagine how difficult is was for you to hit the "Add Reply" button but I think many of the shooters got a feeling something was up. This is not ment to slam anyone but only let you know that some of the shooters do support your right to tell it like you see it.

Once again, thank you to all who made this match possible. I hope to attend the match next year.

Squad 2 Jammer

Edited by baronee

As promised, the sponsor contact list is attached for RM3G 06. If you shot the match, (or even if you didn't) please take the time to thank them by phone or email, especially if you got something from them from the prize table. Don't forget JP Rifles, Sabre Defence, and the Whittington Center! If it were not for sponsors, ALL of our major matches would suffer...

Here is a condensed list of just the email addresses so yall can just copy and paste

'johnpaul@jprifles.com'; 'info@specopsbrand.com'; 'dpms@dpmsinc.com'; 'sales@randrracingonline.com'; 'sales@springfield-armory.com'; 'email@tacproshootingcenter.com'; 'arracc@dslextreme.com'; 'teamge@gramsengineering.com'; '3gungear@cox.net'; 'techline@redding-reloading.com'; 'info@brownells.com'; 'info@mtsn.biz'; 'email@triangleshootingsports.com'; 'info@nordiccomp.com'; 'cagostini@pointblankarmor.com'; 'gunsite@gunsite.com'; 'bullets@montanagoldbullet.com'; 'aceltd@nccn.net'; 'sales@stiguns.com'; 'sales@mgmtargets.com'; 'Lamb@VikingTactics.com'; 'warmacost@nrawc.org'

Greetings all!

Speaking on behalf of my team, Team Prozak, we wanted to thank all the match staff and RO's for another excellent match. The stages were great! We had our usual brand of fun and good times. We really hope this match continues to be run, as we have, and intend to be regulars, even though we are quite irregular. Any questions on that, see Henning's video from stage 6!

Blane, if you stay with this, you may want to actually buy a laptop computer....Just a thought.

Buck

Captain- Team Prozak

Edited by Captain Prozak