Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is 13 +1 Enough For Limited?

markd

I started in Limited with a P14 and 13 round mags. It was what I had, ran 110%, and there weren't many guys to use as a yardstick in L10. It, an Uncle Mikes plastic holster, and some old leather Ernie Hill pouches carried me into a low B. I even squeeked out a stage win or two.

Would I start that way again? Yes, under the same circumstances but if I was going to buy a gun to start it would be a 40 with 19+ round capacity. With the P14 there were stages where I wasn't at a disadvantage, but there were at LEAST as many more where I was reloading on the clock. I bought an STI in 40 last December and I am a lot more competitive with it.

It never ceases to amaze me how many times I read about guys getting (x) rounds in their mags with this follower or that spring.

My bullets must be bigger than everyone elses because I can't duplicate their claims.

I have (4) 140 mm 45 mags for my STI that were built and tuned by Beven Grams.

I can get 16 in them and that's it. You couldn't force round another round in there with a hydraulic press.

I also have a 140 mm STI mag with all Grams parts which will hold 20 but is not reloadable.

The Para may hold an extra round or two because it has a slightly wider grip and I would assume a wider magazine.

However I owned a P-14 for a while and they would hold 16 with a Dawson +2 basepad.

To answer the original question, is 13+1 enough.

Well, maybe..... maybe not.

It will be a definate disadvantage in some situations.

Consider a 32 round field course.

A limited shooter will have one reload, you will have two.

Much depends on the stage design.

If you don't have to do a standing reload it won't hurt you that much, but in a match a few hundredths of a second can make a difference.

In general, the rule of thumb is the more ammo the better.

Competitors will do most anything to squeeze one more round into the gun.

In competition, ammo is your friend.

Tls

Edited by tlshores

Q: "Is 13 +1 Enough For Limited?"

A: "Depends on how fast you can reload."

TT could probably get away with it.

There is a guy at our club with an open single stack 38 super. his reload speed makes the difference and he whoops butt.

I agree that 13 + 1 isn't enough for Limited unless you're a glutton for punishment.

Definitely go with a .40, but the .45 would be sweet in L-10.

I can get 21+1 in my Para easy, but I reload to 20 round mags. Seems a lot of S_I shooters are getting 20+1. I've heard of 20+1 in Glocks, but my G35 won't feed 100% with anything over 19+1 and I've spent a small fortune on different generation mags, followers, etc... I'm hoping this will change once the mags get some serious use.

Once you start buying brass and bullets, you'll quickly learn to appreciate the .40 over the .45

toowide

What does that say about the rest of the shooters?

\

I didn't say he whoops our butts, (ok so he does whip my butt) but he stays at the top of the list. OK OK I need to practice more. There... happy now? LOL

I shot at least 50 matches with my Para .45 with 18 in the mag and 1 in the pipe for a total of 19. Totally reliable. Buy the Grams kit or send them to him. If you like the .45, 19 is enough to be competitive.

This gives you the capacity for 2, 8 round arrays and and 2 insurance rounds and you can still reload with 1 in the pipe.

By the way you probably only need 2 or 3 mags with this capacity for any normal match and save the 13 rounders for classifiers.

To be truely competitive you really need at least 18+1. I think you could do limited with a min. of 16+1, but that gives you no extra shots. So you could not miss any steel or make up a bad hit without it costing you a reload. On the other hand it all depends on stage design, most CoF's have plenty of room for reloads with out hurting your time. The times I've shot 2 div. in a match (limited & L10 with the same gun) my overall score was pretty close a couple %, and some times a fraction of a %.

I am currently running a G20 witha 40 replacement barrel, didn't wanna give in but I am glad I did, less recoil, and same round count, which is 20 with Arredondo Mag bases, with some tuning I mught be able to get 21+1 we'll see though if it affects my reliability I won't bother with the extra round it just isn't worth it.

I know a couple guys that run 22+1 in their Para 40. and 2 that run 18+1 in thier para 45. but that takes some time and even more effet to suff tht last round in.

As a Reminder Kitsap Rifle and Revolver Club in Bremerton WA will be hosting the 13th annual Courage Classic Charity Multi gun match Using "Kitsap Rules" similar to USPSA only funner.

Check it out at http://www.gunsafety.org or call 360-373-1007

• 5 weeks later...