Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holsters And Mag Pouches For Production

Tokarev

I picked up a used XD-9 4" and thought I'd play in Production Class for awhile. I've been poking around looking for a holster and haven't found too much that excites me. I am tempted just to get a $20.00 Fobus and use that.

Come on, guys! Help me get out of the holster blues!

I got a Blade-Tech FBI cant and it has worked very well. If you want a fobus... I say buy it really. If it s@cks you are only out $20! I really like Blade-Tech Tec-lock single pouches. They take up minimal space on my belt and they come off easy and stay on tight. I also recently got a Comp Tac Belt feed for my Glock. It has 4 pouches slightly offset from one another and they all fit well on the belt.

I have a XD9 Tactical & use the Blade Tech DOH with 4 Safariland 773 mag pouches. I may get a 5th pouch for some of the crazy stages we have at our clubs. I like the Safariland pouches cause they seem to fit a variety of mags.

For my XD 40 Tactical I use...CR Speed Belt. Blade-Tech DOH holster (best holster currently available for production, IMHO). Fobus dbl. mag pouches. The pouches are serviceable but are definitely the 'weak spot' on my rig.

I have a black hawk that works well for me.. and its only 28 bucks at pistolgear.com <-- store for all your XD needs...

the blade tec mag pouches are very nice and work well also..

I just ordered a Blackhawk CQC, should be here by next week. I have a comp-tac for my G17 and I really like it, but after shipping and tax it came out to like $80 for just the standard paddle holster. The Blackhawk was $49 shipped for the "carbon fiber" model from MidwayUSA. I decided to try the cheaper one for my XD as I need to get one for my STI and wanted to see how they compare to the Comp-Tac... I will let you know next week.

As for mag pouches... I just use Fobus cheapies.

Bladetech DOH and speedcomp mag pouches. The blackhawk CQC is a great carry holster, but I would think twice about it for competition. If you do not firmly hit the release switch you will draw a lot more than the pistol ;)

blade tech DOH and safariland 771's, on a safariland belt (SF belt has the hooks CR doesnot).

I havenot found a kydex holster I like more than Bladetech's, I have a IWB for my G19 that I use daily, and a regular belt holster for a single stack 1911 (IDPA), and a DOH for my G34/35, I also got a DOH on order for my Benny hill STI that is not done.

Bladetech is really good stuff, their mag pouches are really good too (I prefer the kydex ones, I got some of the injection molded ones for IDPA, they are cheaper than the kydex, but you get what you pay for).

I just ordered a Blackhawk CQC, should be here by next week. I have a comp-tac for my G17 and I really like it, but after shipping and tax it came out to like $80 for just the standard paddle holster. The Blackhawk was $49 shipped for the "carbon fiber" model from MidwayUSA. I decided to try the cheaper one for my XD as I need to get one for my STI and wanted to see how they compare to the Comp-Tac... I will let you know next week.

As for mag pouches... I just use Fobus cheapies.

I found a CQC/Blackhawk holster locally and dropped $34.00 with tax on it. Now that I've got it home I guess I'm sorry I didn't go with a Comp-Tac holster instead. Any and all retention in the CQC holster is accomplished by a tension screw in front of the trigger guard. With that said, the holster doesn't really "fit" the gun at all but just pinches it in front of the trigger guard. As a result, the gun rattles around in the holster. But with the screw backed out, the holster has no retention and should be very fast.

I guess it'll serve my purpose. I really don't know how I'm going to like the XD and didn't want to drop another $100+ for accessories until I decide to keep the gun.

I started USPSA in Production with the same gun. It was my first pistol and an excellent all-around choice. I have over 14K rounds though the gun and have only had one problem with a cracked locking block. Springfield replaced the block as well as tuned the extractor and reamed the chamber. All this plus shipping was absolutely free and took only eight days including shipping both ways.

My starting setup consisted of my XD-9 Bi-Tone Service, the XD Gear holster that came with it, two Fobus double mag pouches and a Gunners Alley belt. I used this rig for over a year with excellent service and good results. The holster is adjustable and I am able to configure it to mimic the Blade Tech DOH that I use for my L-10 and SS rig. I think I have about $40 in the Fobus mag pouches. I use the belt for regular every day use with my jeans so I don't consider that an extra cost.

After about a year, I bought an XD-9 Tactical because I like the slightly greater sight radius. I also bought a CR Speed Belt and three CR Speed mag pouches. The belt is the absolute cat's meow for USPSA and can't be beat. The CR Speed mag pouches hold the mags away from my love handles more and that makes accessing them much easier and faster. I still use one of the Fobus holders for mags #4 and #5. I also continue to use the XD Gear holster of which I now own two. If and when they both break, I'd buy another Blade Tech DOH in a heartbeat. I recommend it if you haven't bought a holster yet.

Shoot your XD for at least 500 rounds and compete with it a couple of times to see how you like it. If you then want to enter XD heaven, send it off to Rich at Canyon Creek for a trigger job. It ain't cheap but the improvement is absolutely amazing. It is the best trigger you can find short of a well tuned 1911.

I'd say go with an Uncle Mike's until you decide if you want to keep shooting the gun, then go high end kydex. My choice would be the BladeTech DOH.

Good luck!

I've got two like new Bladetech dual kydex mag pouches with Techloks for the XD-9 that I don't use anymore since I sold my XDs, that I'll let you have cheap if your interested.

They worked well for me. I just got out of XDs once my 1911s got customized.

Edited by Eager

made my own holster ala bladetech doh

and cr speed mag pouches

mallninja1%20002.jpg

mallninja1%20006(2).jpg

I have a template for some easy to make mag pouches if you want Roby... :)

send them my way scott. lmk what you need to get it here.

Thanks for all the replies, people!

I have sold the XD. I found one of the new Taurus 1911's at a local shop and decided I needed it worse than I needed a Production gun. And I already have mags, pouches, etc for the Single Stack.