Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accu-rail?

mac266

I dont know about stainless but in a regular cabron frame/slide they are sweet. I have never had a tighter/smoother silde to frame fit than with acc-u-rail. Not to mention that Doug is a great guy and happy to help you out.

Caspian rails are oversized so that they can be machine fitted and then hand lapped. They can be fit very tightly without using accurails and Caspian does a pretty nice job of fitting the slide to the rails at the factory for an extra charge.

Accu-rails are very nice but bloody expensive. Usually it is about $150 more to have accu-rails added than it is to have it machine fitted and hand lapped (depending on the shop).

Is it worth the price? Only you can detrmine that. If it were me and I had a virgin slide and frame from Caspian I would have them fitted before I had accu-rails added. Having said that they are very nice and it does change the feel of the gun.

They are nice but it really sucks when they break. You're done for the day....

Not true! You can buy spare rails and keep them in your shooting bag, in case one is lost or broken at the range. They take about 1 minute to change. I have had exactly one rail break in over 10 years and they corrected the problem that caused the original break. I doubt that the replacements will ever break. And, yes, I have a spare set of rails.

The Accurail question comes up every other year or so. Lots of posts if you search.

I won't touch a gun with rails. Seen too many problems. Once it has been railed, you can't change back.

I railed my loose stainless SV open gun. Started with the gun new and tight. After about 5000 rounds it was the loosest gun I owned. I sent it to Doug Jones and it's great. Runs great and just tight enough. I also had him send a spare set of rails. Haven't seen anyone have a problem with them.

Acc-U-Rails would be a splendid idea for that situation. Stainless against stainless WILL gull. It will shoot loose in under 1000 rounds. I see all the post where people say IF the break, your done for the day. Well, if most parts on a pistol break, you are done for the day. I own seven pistols with Acc-u-rails, two of which have over 100,000 rounds through them with the ORIGINAL rails on it. If you have the rails done by Bob or Doug and oil them correctly, you will have the same results. The only other alternitive for your situation is have the frame hard chromed so that the stainless isn't against stainless. Just my .12 cents;-)

Tim

They are nice but it really sucks when they break. You're done for the day....

Not true! You can buy spare rails and keep them in your shooting bag, in case one is lost or broken at the range. They take about 1 minute to change. I have had exactly one rail break in over 10 years and they corrected the problem that caused the original break. I doubt that the replacements will ever break. And, yes, I have a spare set of rails.

Ditto on the rail breaking? Taking them out and not putting them back in correctly?

Edited by 45gunner

A buddy of mine broke at least one within 6 months. The gun was built by one of the best and most well known gunsmiths in the US.

I would never use them. I'd get a nice slide to frame fit and Hard Chrome or TiN the slide + frame.

Ditto on the rail breaking? Taking them out and not putting them back in correctly?

The rails are made from tool steel. In the begining they would heat the end and stretch & bend the 90 degree retaining tab. The process stretched the rail leaving a thin bend which was the weak spot. If a rail broke it was always at the bend. With newer rails they learned how to bend the rail without stretching the metal and causing the weak spot. I am not sure what they do but it is a different process and they rails are much thicker in the bend area.

I have used accu-rails.....I like them and would not hesitate to get them. Never seen one break, always had a spare set. One thing to remember with accu-rails....LIGHT OIL is a must or you'll never get the slide back on.

Edited by PaulW

I had a rail break this past January. :( Of course it turns out that the cause of it was a cracked slide. <_< It also turned out that the frame was cracked as well ( old style STI frame and a Caspian slide ). I got a replacement frame from STI and a new slide from Caspian and had Doug put it back together again ( added a new barrel as well ). :D It runs better than it ever has while I have owned it now.

As a side note; Doug does suggest that you use FP-10 if either the slide or frame is Stainless. I went ovwer the lubing requirements when I picked up the gun.

Brian

OH and by the way, since I got it back I moved up from D to C class. :rolleyes:

Edited by Too_Slow

++ for the accu-rail.... My open sti is over 10 years old W/ 1000's of rounds fired. sent it back to Doug for a new set of rails and it's like new again.... Well worth the money, especially if you keep things for a long time.... Was going to send the wife in but the freight was too much???

Had Bob Do mine. It has been great, it loosened up after thousands of rounds and one rail broke. Bob had it back in weeks time.

The real advantage to me is that Bob will adjust slide barrel frame adjustment to bring everything into perfect alignment. He trues the frame to make it parellel to slide stop, adjusts the barrel position for center firing pin fit and tight barrel lockup.

True the same thing can be done if you have end mill and oversized frame and slide. But most I've seen just fit the frame and slide for no slop fit.

How many true things up first?

Gunsmiths chime in here!!!!