Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Ss In The Market?

sandman_sy

What do you guys think is the best SS in the Market today.

I read a lot of people shoot Trojan, is that the Trojan 6.0??

and second comes the Kimber line, is it the Raptor??

Just want to here the opinions :D

PS... i read somewhere that some org states that the RangeMaster is not legal because it has a long reciever. is that org IPSC??

When Gary Syevens started the new Single Stack Provisional Division he started with the rules used by the Match Directors of the Single Stack Classic. As of now 1911s' have to be a maximum lenght 5" barrel and a stardard GI type dustcover. (The Kimber Warrior doesn't count as GI.) STI's 5" Trojan would be legal as far as I know.

IF you have any interest in EVER shooting the gun in IDPA CDP class or USPSA SS class (or selling the gun to a competitive shooter)....READ the rules concerning what configuration you can have and what you can do to the gun.

With that being said. Get a STI Trojan. :)

The best SS is the one that is 100% reliable accurate and comfortable for you. The manufacturer almost does not make any difference. I have a Kimber that has about 7-8K , colt that I got from an older gentleman that probably has 20 or more k, but my favorite is a gun built by a small company in CT . I will never be able to shoot what that gun is capable . but they are all 100-99.9 % reliable.

Good luck in your decision SS is a lot of fun.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I am a Wilson Combat Master Distributor. In my opinion the Trojan is by far the best out of the box single stack on the market today. I naturally shoot Wilson's but own two STI Trojans that I will never sell. The trigger on the stock Trojan is perfect the way it comes from the factory if you are going to use it for a carry gun. If it is strictly for competition all it takes is a very small amount of polishing and a tweak of the spring to make it perfect.

I shoot with 3 shooters that have Kimbers purchased in the last year for alot more money than the STI and they continually have feeding and extraction problems with them.

In my opinion.....

STI Trojan

Springfield

Kimber

I like the fact Springfields are all forged. I wish the STI's were. But overall fit and finish can be rough. Kimbers that I have owned and seen are kinda hit or miss.

JaxShooter.....what gun range or gunstore are you with? Do you have a website? Do I know you????

Your question did not specify price or delivery time so I will ignore those factors.

Once you have seen or held an SVI/Infinity single stack, nothing else even comes close.

The gun is a work of art.

I like the springer single stacks, they seem to be the best value for the $

i wouldnt go with Kimber, too many MIM parts and other castings...just not something i would want

Harmon

Seems a lot of people are rooting for the Trojan 5" .40 :P

Read a lot of threads before posting this. Im having quite an arguement in my head,

"how in the world are you gonna get Tripp .40 mags? You live in the Philippines" Read somewhere that there's no available stock in the Philippine market for a .40 SS mags.

AAaargh.... I love the feel of the .40, tried 9mm and 45 this weekend, i still feel best with a .40. :P

Is it the luck of the draw, but i read a lot threads stating that the Trojan have kinks in it. (but some states that it ran flawless from the box... but still a whole bunch still states it had to be sent back a couple of times, or sent to Virgil Tripp to fix the bugs,) Has STI already addressed this issue, or i should be prepared to spend a lot more money on fixing the kinks :(

Seems a lot of people are rooting for the Trojan 5" .40 :P

Read a lot of threads before posting this. Im having quite an arguement in my head,

"how in the world are you gonna get Tripp .40 mags? You live in the Philippines" Read somewhere that there's no available stock in the Philippine market for a .40 SS mags.

AAaargh.... I love the feel of the .40, tried 9mm and 45 this weekend, i still feel best with a .40. :P

Is it the luck of the draw, but i read a lot threads stating that the Trojan have kinks in it. (but some states that it ran flawless from the box... but still a whole bunch still states it had to be sent back a couple of times, or sent to Virgil Tripp to fix the bugs,) Has STI already addressed this issue, or i should be prepared to spend a lot more money on fixing the kinks :(

Can you buy a used gun and have it shipped to you? :huh:

Your question did not specify price or delivery time so I will ignore those factors.

Once you have seen or held an SVI/Infinity single stack, nothing else even comes close.

The gun is a work of art.

YOU CAN SAY THAT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

PAT

The best I have ever owned, box stock, was a Valtro by John Jardine. I have 2, in slightly different configurations, and both have been spectacular in accuracy and reliability. A good friend has poured far more rounds through his than I have mine, with nary a problem.

Hmm...no love for the Les Baer(s)?

I have a stock PremierII -- the most basic model -- and in the $1k-1.5k range, I'd put it up against most anything at that price point.

I really do think you need to specify a price range, too. IMO, Kimber's strength and value is more in the lower range. For $700, or so, a plain CustomII, is going to be accurate, and run. Forged frame, made in USA, and the full-sized models shouldn't have problems with the external extractor. Yes, MIM parts, but you can replace them as they break. <grin>

As mentioned in one of the replys. The SV Infinity is without question a spectacular SS in every way. It is not any where near the price point of the other guns being discussed. The Baer is also an excellent gun but also more expensive than a Trojan. If you shop around a new Trojan can be had around $800-825.

Hell, i don't know where to get a SV gun here in the Philippines :( and i know that the price would be sky rocketed :( it's illegal here to purchase guns and ammo from the outside of the Philippines :( if it was legal, i'd have a Custom SS by now by any of the great gunsmith in the US of A > :)

The prices here in the Philippines is Trojan( $1,800.00 after taxes and stuff)... yeah, i'm not kiddin, Rangemaster 2 ($2,300.00).... :( :( :(

So, what i'm asking now is what makes the Rangmaster 2 more expensive than the Trojan?? They look the same to me. Hoping to here some shooters that have tried both models :)

Are the magazines from STI any good?? and how does it compare to the Tripp mags??

"TROJAN & RANGER II (9mm, .38 Super, .40, .45) $18.00 "

is the 40 stated here on the STI website da 10 round mags??

Edited by sandman_sy

I HAD THE PLEASURE OF SHOOTING ONE OF SIG'S 1911 BELIEVE ITS A GSR=

OUT OF THE BOX EVERY BIT AS GOOD AS ANY OF THE KIMBERS IVE WORKED

ON.

I SHOOT SPRINGFIELDS MOSTLY BECAUSE OF HEINE'S RULES FOR THE SSC=

CAUSE YOU GOT MORE CHANCES AT STUFF SHOOTING SPRINGFIELDS .DONT

KNOW IF ITS THE SAME WAY NOW WITH THE MATCH BEING A NATIONELS.

CASPIAN IS MY FAVORITE AS FAR AS 1911 GOES.

OUT OF THE BOX YOU ASK TAKE YOUR PICK OF ANY OF THE POPULAR 1911'S

SHOOT THE HECK OUT OF IT AND IT;LL BE YOUR FAVORITE.

YOU CAN GO TO GUNS AMERICA SITE AND GET ALL KINDS OF 1911'S AT

A GOOD PRICE SET UP AND READY TO GO!

JIM

SAILORS CUSTOM :);)

My picks:

STI Trojan

Kimber

Springfield

I've got 80K through my Kimber without a problem. I did go with a Nowlan trigger kit, but I do that on any 1911. Haven't have any problems with part breakage. Mine does not have the external extractor.

Boy, last nyt was 1 rough nyt :P

Thinking bout what to get doesnt get you some restful snoozin.ü

So its fixed...Trojan, Come to papa! :)

Reasnable prce, n id rather spend da extra $500 diffrnce on da mags n trigger job;p

Question 1: Are da STI Mags ny good compared to Tripp?ü

Question 2: How many mags should i get? i heard 6 is good :P

Got my american rifleman from NRA yesterday Now Tarus is making a 1911 with all the bell & whisles for under 600.00 stainless.

With that said I Love my Kimber 14,000 rounds on it.

Edited by scorch

I own a gun shop/pawnshop and see alot of guns come through(and shot alot that come through).

For the money, my current favorite single stack is my Kimber Classic Stainless Gold Match, with a Benny Hill trigger 'tune up.' New recoil and mainspring and tweaking of the stock sear. Dawson fiber front sight and a piece of grip tape on the front strap (haven't had time to mail out frame for checkering). Kimber mag well/ metal mainspring housing. Approximately $125 over out of the box and it ROCKS!

As a Kimber master dealer, don't buy an external extractor Kimber (2005-early 2006) I have had about 10% come back with extraction/ feeding problems. Kimber will remedy any problems, but still a pain in the neck, and bad for kimbers name... Internal extacor stuff works MUCH better.

Edited by Malak

Another cool thing from SVI SS is the option to have the gun build with a square trigger guard frame. If the square trigger guard is important to you, SVI does a very good job.

Sandro

SVIsinglestackframe.jpg

I fall into the group that thinks a Baer is the best deal, dollar-for-dollar, of any 1911 available. Slap on a mag well and you're off to the races. You can spend more, but it's hard to get more. Having a reliable pistol with all tool steel components is very comforting to me.

24,000+ rounds through my PII with next to no cleaning and only one failure not attributable to ammo, shooter or mags (I *do* lube it, though).

My next choice would be a Kimber with the fire control parts swapped for tool steel (get rid of the MIM). Their base gun (frame/slide/barrel) is an excellent value. Get an Extreme Engineering trigger group with Disconnector and don't look back.

I like the workmanship on the Springfields, but I don't like the radius on the frontstrap or the lower-than-optimum grip safety.

Edited by ima45dv8

It seems everyone is makeing a good SS these days. If $$ not a concern, I would have to give the nod to the SV. I Shoot a Springfield Trophy Match is SS div. its a nery nice gun out of the box.