Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cutting A Ismi Spring...what Do You Use?

ramtough47

I have been shooting USPSA for a little over year and a half,learned a lot...still got a lot more to learn. One of the things that i am not clear on is: just exactly how do you guys "cut" your recoil springs.What do you use?

Also,what exactly is a "coil" What is the correct way to determine or measure what 1 coil is?

Your help is appreciated.

One coil is the point on the spring directly above the end of the spring. So in essence follow the spring from its end one full revolution (360 degrees) and then cut. I usually just use a sharp pair of flushcuts.

The best way to "cut" springs is to break them. Clamp the end of the coil you want to keep and then bend the spring just beyond the clamp back-and-forth until it breaks. This will not fatigue the spring and it will generally leave an even cut.

I just use a really good pair of dikes. No, not that kind of dike :huh: , the ones that look like pliars. Push in the tip until you get a good bite at the 360 mark, and squeeze like hell. Wear safety glasses. The amputated portion has a tendancy to go zinging.

I just use a really good pair of dikes. No, not that kind of dike :huh: , the ones that look like pliars. Push in the tip until you get a good bite at the 360 mark, and squeeze like hell. Wear safety glasses. The amputated portion has a tendancy to go zinging.

This is how I did it. The ISMI flat wound are pretty tough suckers.

Joe

I bored out the plug to accept the length of the spring without binding. Don't have to cut the springs no more. :D

Takes some special tooling to do it right.