Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Uspsa Slide - Competitive?

I am now a bit querious. What makes people think that weak hand loading has a "high fumble factor"? If it did, wouldn't I be WAY behind on shotgun stages? Since I can sometimes beat the open guys on a stage or two using weak hand loading while they use speed loaders, wouldn't a high fumble factor completely negate these performances? Or do you all think that this only happens once in a while? My shotgun performance has been very consistent match to match, and I usually win the shotgun portion, if not I am 2-3 NEVER lower. If this was so fumbly, just think how well someone who loads a "different" way would do....oh wait....some people do right now! :D KURTM

Kurt and Religious Shooter make a good points. I don't think that I've ever seen Kurt or Taran pooch up a load during match. Although I have seen it during practice!

I do think that the weakhand load is harder to master and unless mastered, it carries with a higher disaster factor, which I have seen happen to many little Kurt/Taran/Eric/Ed/Mike Darby wannabes in matches. :D They heroically go for the four shells and end with one halfway in the gun, one sticking straight down in their hand, one on the deck and one spiraling throught the air.

If you go weakhand be sure to practice it A LOT.

Doesn’t the rest of the definition of the word dexterity have to do with being right handed, if you want to split hairs.

Did you ever try to wipe week handed, you don’t because its different, nothing to do with ability but a trained, mussel memory, just like reloading, what if you had only known week handed? And you could free up your strong hand to do something usefull or creative or fun.

All this said, for some week is better, may be not for the rest of you.

Mell Kuhn

Edited by MKuhn

They heroically go for the four shells and end with one halfway in the gun, one sticking straight down in their hand, one on the deck and one spiraling throught the air.

If you go weakhand be sure to practice it A LOT.

Kelly, have you seen me practicing? Right now, I'm going for 3 shells, the Choate holders are 6 packs.

The top shooters that have posted are 100% correct, practice is the key....lot's of it! It's no different than dryfiring, you can do it daily at home. Let the mental malfunctions get to you in other parts of the stage, make the chosen reload method natural.

That said, now I'm trying to load my Super X1 like the Benelli....not as quick...but possibilities are there. Practice...practice....practice!!!!

Is there a link to videos of the various shotgun and rifle reloads?

Not much available for free. Matt Burkett's PS6 & PS8 DVD's have some good info in them.

http://www.burkettvideo.com/

A couple videos showing weakhand and stronghand loading can be seen at www.multigun.com in the video section.

Stronghand Loading: http://www.multigun.com/video/kellynstage10.wmv

Weakhand Loading: http://www.multigun.com/video/kurtstage10.wmv

When using the weak hand loading method, or the Carlock Shuffle which finger pushes the shell into the tube? Loading weak hand I seem to load the first shell with my pinky doing the pushing then somewhere around shell #2 or #3 I'm pushing them in with my thumb. #4 is always with my thumb. I would guess with the Carlock Shuffle you would do all the pushing with the index finger?

Seperate question, how do the weak hand loaders handle odd ball reloads when you only want to load 3 or 5 shells in the middle of a course of fire?

Thanks

George

I struggled with what loading technique to use, so in the off season last year I practiced three different ones for a month and kept records on times. After the three months I looked at my records and it was obvious. I settled on the "neth slide" I can now consitantly hit a popper-load 8-hit another popper in under 7 seconds.

I really wanted to make weak hand work but I just couldn't grab 4 shells without fumbling 50% of the time. If I can only grab three I have to make 3 movements to the belt which took away any time advantage I might have gained. Add my fumble factor, I was forced to try a stong, off the side saddle technique.

Whatever you settle on practice a lot. And in the off season test out new ideas.

Ktyler

Kelly,

I too, have gone to the Dark Side, load the shotgun faster, we will.

Kurt,

You da man. My Army buddies squared me away at DPMS. Robbie can feed that SG. Note to self, don't try a new loading technique at the match!

Use the Force.

What is required here in not "Practice" so much as "Effortful Study", as noted in a recent study, the results of which are discussed in last months Scientific American. The article is about what it takes to make an expert at something. The end result it seems is that 10 years of Effortful Study" is the pre-requisite for being really good at anything. "Study" translates to "Doing" 100%.

Ask anyone who is world class at something specific how long AND how intensely they have been doing "that thing" and I think I know what the answer will be ;-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

George,

The shells are all pushed in with the thumb. The big trouble most people have is grabbing and holding the shells correctly. Lay 4 shells in your loading hand, put the first one between the tip of the pinky and index fingers, lay the other 3 against the first and capture them with your thumb, now with the gun in position use your 2 middle fingers to push the first shell down and your thumb to push forward, as you pull you hand back to load the next shell use your EZ Loader to streighten the next shell out and push it with your thumb, repeat until empty.

Shawn,

Thank you for confirming that you use the thumb to push the shells in.

I tried using my index finger then my thumb and thumb was better.

The real cool part of this method was using the back stroke to line up the next shell,

Thanks again

George

• 2 weeks later...