Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ipod

bountyhunter

I got a new 30GB IPOD with the display and all to take some music to work. What a nightmare it turned out to be.

The documentation on their "help" webiste is wrong in some aspects.... the most important:

Loading and deleting music.

BTW, I am an audio nut and I had about 250 CD's loaded into my PC, also had some live cuts off TV and other places (LP's and cassettes). Each had been digitally cleaned up, volume normalized, frequency equalized, and converted to MP3.

Needless to say, the chunk of my life represented there was many hundreds of hours.

I had trouble loading the MP3 files onto the IPOD. The website says under preferences, you can simply change to whatever folder you want where the music is and it will use that as the libraray.

THAT NEVER WORKED, even when I tried making a new flder and naming it LIBRARY and adding MP3 files directly.

Eventually, I found I could import the files using the "import" command and all the songs appeared in LIBRARY under ITunes. Of course, it screwed up some of the labels and could not read others.

I allowed the Itunes to automatically dump a selection of songs onto the Ipod (which it did) as a test, and I later wanted to delete them from the Ipod.

It turns out the web advice is wrong there as well. It says to simply delete the contents of the playlist and then connect the Ipod and do an "update playlist". That won't work. You have to set the Ipod into "manual" mode and do it manually.

THE WORST IS:

The Library in Itunes commandeers the actual files, it does not simply build an index of addresses to the files. It also imported the WAV files and had a lot of mistakes on the tags.

So, I tried to create a new folder for a specific ITunes library and use that for the selected MP3 files.

Somehow, in the process of transferring to the new folder (I have no idea how) the files did not transfer. I found about 20% of them in the trash can and the rest are gone.

Oddly enough, I had them in alphabetical order and it destroyed files "A" through "S".... about 90% of my music.

I have no idea how or why it did this. I no longer have a second hard drive to use for backup, so they are gone.

When I had finished looking everywhere and realized this stupid Ipod had cost me thousands of hours of work, I actually got physically sick and started to shake.

I took time to regroup and then packed the Ipod up and locked it away... I didn't trust myself to not smash it into a pile of shreds.

By coincidence, I shoot with a computer geek who told me he has heard of Ipods trashing files many times.

DON'T RISK YOURS.

Edited by bountyhunter

+ 1 Dale. I bought a Creative Zen 1 gig MP3 player recently, and am very happy .

Almost, well almost Zen-like ..................... ;)

For under $90 ........... how could I refuse. It even came in the Henry Ford color of BLACK!

My daughters IPod is in it's third incarnation. The first two croacked pretty quickly. One had terminal heat problems. The other just quit working one day. Luckily Costco has customer service to rival Dillon and they replaced them at no cost. Actually they gave store credit so the newest IPod is far nicer than what we initially paid for. I would buy another one but only from Costco.

-ld

I have a 20gig mp3 player for my car that hooks up via the factory aux port. Works like a little hard drive that attaches USB style. You did the right thing by putting it away instead of smashing it. Then you would be mad for smashing it (loosing the money spent) AND for loosing your music. Commendable.

JOe

BTW, Apple has a "Forum" for Ipod where I registered and tried to find out how to do things and why the website gives wrong information. Got two very patronizing answers along the lines of "read this" and "it really is that simple".

Thanks. If I wanted a marketing person to spew bullshirt on me, I would have asked for that.

I thought about going back there and posting what happened, but it wouldn't accomplish anything. Those people worship Steve Jobs and think God created Apple on the eighth day.

It's typical of why they are not a force in the computer biz: new products with ZERO documentation, just a web site with a bunch of obsolete "FAQ's" and you are on your own.

I guess it's partly my fault for not having all the files backed up, but the backup was my wifes Compaq laptop. A couple of months ago it went stone dead and crashed terminally, requiring complete re-install of the operating system..... all files gone. I never recopied back to it after that, since it had proven flaky.

I have a 20gig mp3 player for my car that hooks up via the factory aux port. Works like a little hard drive that attaches USB style. You did the right thing by putting it away instead of smashing it. Then you would be mad for smashing it (loosing the money spent) AND for loosing your music. Commendable.

I just want time to ponder the most exquisite form of death I can apply to it. I'm thinking of having it loaded full of Yanni music, then kidnapping Steven Jobs and having it implanted in his brain.

I have heard lot's less stories of problems than I have of happy users, but the truth is no product is foolproof.

I have setup literally dozens of clients with iPods (Mac & PC users) and have yet to have issue number one with software or music files. Yes, it really is that easy to make it work right ;-)

You are very astute in understanding that any data loss you incur will be the fault of not having a verified backup in place before running a process on valuable files and not the fault of any outside party. Best practices say to NEVER do anything to valuable data files without a backup to separate media being in place FIRST. Murphy's Law says that is the only time you will have trouble with otherwise trouble-free processes.

To the reliability issues of the hardware I will nod in agreement that there are some issues with some models and to that end I always advise my clients to get the AppleCare with any iPod.

The best way to add songs to an iTunes library without risking any data loss is to use the "Add To Library" option. NEVER use the Import option for songs that are already ripped into MP3. BTW, all songs need to start as MP3's, not Windows Media files. If you do that, no tag info will be lost in the transition into iTunes.

Before doing the "Add To Library", select the option to "Copy songs to iTunes Music Folder when adding to Library" in iTunes preferences. This makes sure that the songs are actually copied into iTunes own music folder instead of just referencing them were they are (better than leaving them all over the drive and just letting iTunes index them). You would then remove the original MP3 files from the computer after they are in iTunes storage folder and on VERIFIED external media.

If you did copy all the files to the iPod at some point, then the files are probably still there. Quitting iTunes after the iPod mounts and treating the Ipod like a plain old external HD should allow you to drag-n-drop the files back onto the PC.

Hopefully this will help you on the road to recovering your music files and making your new hardware work as it should.

Please feel free to PM for tips on using iPods without troubles.

You are very astute in understanding that any data loss you incur will be the fault of not having a verified backup in place before running a process on valuable files and not the fault of any outside party.

No, you are misquoting me. I said it was partly my fault, but the main fault lies with the fact Apple ships a product with no documentation as well as WRONG support documentation on it's web site.

Further, their design is faulty. They should NEVER NEVER NEVER set up an ITunes directory so that it "takes over" the actual song files from the other folder. I have four different MP3 creation programs and ALL allow me to simply designate that as the source folder and when I import files it is NOT dragging the actual file to another directory, it is simply tagging a path to the file where it exists.

If I had known it worked in this way, I would never have connected it to my computer.

And BTW: everyone here I talk to says they will not use Itunes because of this and other reasons, and they say there is aftermarket firmware available to get around this well known problem.

The best way to add songs to an iTunes library without risking any data loss is to use the "Add To Library" option. NEVER use the Import option for songs that are already ripped into MP3. BTW, all songs need to start as MP3's, not Windows Media files. If you do that, no tag info will be lost in the transition into iTunes.

Before doing the "Add To Library", select the option to "Copy songs to iTunes Music Folder when adding to Library" in iTunes preferences. This makes sure that the songs are actually copied into iTunes own music folder instead of just referencing them were they are (better than leaving them all over the drive and just letting iTunes index them). You would then remove the original MP3 files from the computer after they are in iTunes storage folder and on VERIFIED external media.

As a rhetorical question: any idea why Apple can not make this information available with the product? Since the first thing a person is going to do is try to put music into it?

BTW, I saw no "Add Library" feature on mine or in the website tutorials.

And why is it that the IPOD refused to allow me to change the address of the Library folder in preferences? It took the address, and then still had nothing in the library even though that folder was full of MP3 files?

I created a new folder and labeled it LIBRARY and tried the same thing: DOES NOT WORK.

My gripe is, THAT'S THE WAY THEY SAY IT WORKS and it doesn't.

If it had, I would never have had any problem. It would have simply used the MP3 folder with all the songs in it as the library and I would still have all my music.

If you did copy all the files to the iPod at some point, then the files are probably still there. Quitting iTunes after the iPod mounts and treating the Ipod like a plain old external HD should allow you to drag-n-drop the files back onto the PC.

Only about half of them fit on the 30G Ipod, and I later deleted that playlist since it was just to test the unit. The complete loss occurred when I trieed to get the stupid thing to recognize my music into the library. It did go in, but most was lost. I still have no idea how only "A" - "S" could be destroyed?

This thing needs a simple instruction manual that says:

Here;s how to load MP3 files into the library.

If you want to keep the files separate, do this.

If you do this, it will take the original files and move them.

This is a major screw-up, and the funny thing is: everybody I talk to has nothing good to say about Ipods. I suspect teeny boppers who just rip CD's into them probably are happy with them, but people who actually try to do what they say they will do get burned.

You are very astute in understanding that any data loss you incur will be the fault of not having a verified backup in place before running a process on valuable files and not the fault of any outside party. Best practices say to NEVER do anything to valuable data files without a backup to separate media being in place FIRST. Murphy's Law says that is the only time you will have trouble with otherwise trouble-free processes.

This is one of the great truths of the computer age. It should be repeated endlessly to anyone who might even think of storing any kind of data on any kind of machine. If you have a good backup the chances of you needing it are virtually nil. If you do not have a back up your chances of not needing one are virtually nil.

Should we call this George's law and put it right up there with Asimov's Three laws of robotics?

BTW, Apple has a "Forum" for Ipod where I registered and tried to find out how to do things and why the website gives wrong information. Got two very patronizing answers along the lines of "read this" and "it really is that simple".

Thanks. If I wanted a marketing person to spew bullshirt on me, I would have asked for that.

I thought about going back there and posting what happened, but it wouldn't accomplish anything. Those people worship Steve Jobs and think God created Apple on the eighth day.

It's typical of why they are not a force in the computer biz: new products with ZERO documentation, just a web site with a bunch of obsolete "FAQ's" and you are on your own.

I guess it's partly my fault for not having all the files backed up, but the backup was my wifes Compaq laptop. A couple of months ago it went stone dead and crashed terminally, requiring complete re-install of the operating system..... all files gone. I never recopied back to it after that, since it had proven flaky.

I just want time to ponder the most exquisite form of death I can apply to it. I'm thinking of having it loaded full of Yanni music, then kidnapping Steven Jobs and having it implanted in his brain.

suggest u take the sledgehammer to that windoz box... :lol:

suggest u take the sledgehammer to that windoz box..

Generally a good idea, but unfortunately in this case, the box ain't the problem.

BH, iTunes will let you just reference song files, it just has to be set that way in the prefs. I don't suggest that because the song files then get managed by iTunes and re-organized a bit to handle what it has to do. This disturbs your manual layout in the file directories and that is why I recommend letting iTunes move a copy of the songs into it's own library and then moving the original library off machine into a solid archive medium.

I have never seen anyone have as difficult a time with iTunes. I have never gone to the website for help/directions myself and never will, nor can I speak to Apple's actions. Never had any issues in Wintel or Mac with this software and MP3's.

Here are a few tips on using and resetting iPods:

http://www.applescore.com/download/search.php?query=ipod

http://www.applescore.com/faq/faq_qanda.php?id=101

Here is a link to beta firmware for the iPod that adds features for geeks like us:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6450_7-651384...l?tag=cnetfd.sd

http://www.rockbox.org/download/

Check this out. Ipod stuff

I assume that is the Rosetta Stone of IPOD..... something that makes clear all the cryptic ramblings they splatter on their website that have only vague resemblance to reality.

It pisses me off that companies dump out high tech products with ZERO supporting info, but it pisses me off way more when they use the "webnanny" approach funneling you to a FAQ site which has a bunch of incorrect or obsolete info that just gets you into even more trouble.

I think I may order the book, but only because it looks large and hefty. That will give me something to beat the Ipod with that wont leave any marks yet still destroy the internals. Then I'll return it under warranty and make them evaluate it and replace it. Including human cost and product cost, that should hit them for about $500. maybe if a few more people do that they will get the message that dumping out unsupported products that cost $400 is not a good business model.

The funny thing is (seriously) I am the last engineer at a company of over 10,000 who uses a Mac for document creation. It actually violates company policy, but I can convert my create documents into PC compatible ones so they don't know the difference. When I am gone, the last of the great Macosaurs here will roam no more and their cry will no longer be heard.

I prefer Mac products, but I hadn't bought anything from them in a while. Suffice it to say, the earth will enter another geological age before I buy anything from them again.

suggest u take the sledgehammer to that windoz box..

Generally a good idea, but unfortunately in this case, the box ain't the problem.

BH, iTunes will let you just reference song files, it just has to be set that way in the prefs. I don't suggest that because the song files then get managed by iTunes and re-organized a bit to handle what it has to do. This disturbs your manual layout in the file directories and that is why I recommend letting iTunes move a copy of the songs into it's own library and then moving the original library off machine into a solid archive medium.

I appreciate the advice. First, it would not have been possible to "copy all songs" to a second Itunes library file because it would have exceeded the hardrive capacity to try to duplicate the entire set of music files just to appease the IPOD's refusal to accept the address of the file I wanted it to use as the library source.

I still have not heard an answer: why does it refuse to do this? Their web site says you can use preferences to change the library source to any folder you select just by inputting the address of the other folder into the place it shows under preference. I did that, it took the address, and the library Icon still showed NO CONTENT. I checked again, it still had the correct address to a folder FULL of MP3 files, and it still showed NOTHING in the library.

WTF? It isn't smart enough to see into a folder with thousands of MP3 files and notice any of them?

And I even created a new folder and named it "LIBRARY" and put songs in there. I inserted it's address, and DumbPod couldn't see that either.

That is my main gripe. It SHOULD HAVE worked as advertised, I should NOT have been required to drag files to other folders (or let it do that and re-organize my files). The damn thing should have worked like they say it worked and I would have had NO PROBLEM.

This is when I wish I could reach through the phone and drag one of their morons out and shake them until they admit it doesn't work like they say it does. And the "doesn't work" is what caused me to lose all my files.

If you are just going to reference the songs as they llay, DO NOT change the Library folder. Changing the Library folder is best used if you are starting a new location and are going to let iiTunes move everything in as a copy.

What you should have done was just do an "add to library" with the iTunes prefs set to NOT copy into the library folder when adding to library. Then you leave the iTunes folder default location alone. The downside of the is method is that new songs get ripped into the new location. The upside is your original files stay where you left them.

If your HD could not handle the load of copying the files to an additional location, you really should have moved them off to something like an external USB HD (big ones are real cheap nowadays). Then use the add to library option with the prefs set to copy into the iTunes Library. This would have scarfed them all into place where iTunes likes them and future rips would go to the same place. The original library would be intact as an archive on extarnal media and all would be well in your world.

Another pref to change immediately is setting the rip settings back to MP3 from Apples AAC format and fixing the data rate and encoding parameters to a good bitrate (190kbs or better). But this only matters if you are going to use iTunes as the iPod manager.

You can drag-n-drop MP3 files to an iPod and manage it that way too as it is just a plain old FW/USB HD with a few controls and a headphone amp ;-)

Regards,

You can drag-n-drop MP3 files to an iPod and manage it that way too as it is just a plain old FW/USB HD with a few controls and a headphone amp ;-)

Regards,

OK, when I have a bunch of songs in the Library, how do I get them into the playlist?

When I click on library I see songs. When I click on the playlist I created, it's empty.

I can drop the whole library contents into the playlist by moving the library icon onto the playlist icon.....

how do I select specific songs out of the libraray list and drop them into the playlist?

I opened two screens and tried to drag titles out of the library list and they don't move.

How can I go through the libraray and take out what I want for the playlist?

If you choose to manage by drag-n-drop then you will not have the benefit of software driven playlists and so on. Just one big folder of songs. I only mentioned this as a way of using the iPod without it's software, "if you must". iTunes really is the "Only" right way to manage an iPod if'nya' want all of the feature set.

I highly recommend getting the library off to separate media and using the "add to library" method with the "Copy into iTunes Library" option set in prefs. This way you are swimming with the river current instead of upstream.

Any other way of getting an existing library into iTunes is a big loser IMHO. Once iTunes has the files in it's "Own" Library folder, you will be where you need to be. Never use the playlist auto-sync feature in iTunes for the iPod. I find this to be a PITA and prefer to just drag-n-drop playlists onto the iPod icon from inside the iTunes interface. This is the tried and true way of managing iPod playlists hassle-free.

If you choose to manage by drag-n-drop then you will not have the benefit of software driven playlists and so on. Just one big folder of songs. I only mentioned this as a way of using the iPod without it's software, "if you must". iTunes really is the "Only" right way to manage an iPod if'nya' want all of the feature set.

I highly recommend getting the library off to separate media and using the "add to library" method with the "Copy into iTunes Library" option set in prefs. This way you are swimming with the river current instead of upstream.

Any other way of getting an existing library into iTunes is a big loser IMHO. Once iTunes has the files in it's "Own" Library folder, you will be where you need to be. Never use the playlist auto-sync feature in iTunes for the iPod. I find this to be a PITA and prefer to just drag-n-drop playlists onto the iPod icon from inside the iTunes interface. This is the tried and true way of managing iPod playlists hassle-free.

This has been quite a learning experience for me. My IQ was once estimated at about 165, I have four college degrees (three technical), I work as an electrical engineer designing hardware for computers...

And to be honest, I still have no idea how this f----g thing is supposed to work.

PLEASE TELL ME:

I established a library last night by adding songs and then making a large playlist. All of the cuts were MP3. I created them by ripping into WAV (with internet connect) so all had titles and artist listed. The WAV files were volume adjusted if needed using PYRO, and then I ripped all the WAV files to MP3. The MP3 files were used to create the playlist.

BOTTOM LINE:

When I added them to the playlist, all songs still had titles but some had lost their artist names in the transition to the playlist.

NOTE: insome cases, like the four Beatles CD's, about half the songs lost their artist tags. I have no idea how or why this could be?

I put the playlist on the Ipod, and the ones without artist names did not index under the artist title (obviously) I did as the web site said: I directly typed in the artist names into the playlist, reconnected the Ipod, and did a manual "update Ipod".

It did absolutely nothing. It did not import the artist names and put them in the proper folders. It did not update the playlist. Why do they say it will update if it does nothing?

1) Why did it destroy artist names on files at random when I added them to the playlist? I ripped about 40 Beatles songs (red and blue 4 CD set) and all had artist titles in the original files. Later, on the playlist, some artist titles were gone.

Why?

2) How do I fix the Ipod so it indexes the songs correctly? Do I have to erase the Ipod, manually repair the playlist artist names, and re load it to the Ipod?

Edited by bountyhunter

I still don't know:

Is there a way to show the entire library and select songs and add them to a playlist without dropping the whole library icon onto the playlist icon?

Even if the library is the anointed Itunes file, how do you display the library contents and add selected songs to the playlist?

prefer to just drag-n-drop playlists onto the iPod icon from inside the iTunes interface. This is the tried and true way of managing iPod playlists hassle-free.

How do you select songs and drop them into the playlist?

Edited by bountyhunter

More iPod info right from the embedded help text in iTunes (not the same as the Apple Support docs):

About iTunes and iPod:

iPod is a versatile portable music player. You can use your iPod to carry songs that are in your iTunes library and listen to your music while you're on the go. With some iPod models, you can use iTunes to copy photos and videos to iPod, then you can view them on iPod.

By default, iTunes is set to update iPod automatically. When you connect your iPod to your computer, iTunes opens, copies selected songs in your library and playlists to your iPod, and erases songs from your iPod that aren't in the iTunes library. Depending on the type of iPod you have, you may also be able to create and manage playlists on your iPod or synchronize contact and calendar information with your iPod.

Any songs or other audio files you've purchased from the iTunes Music Store will play on your iPod as long as the computer you connect your iPod to is authorized to play those purchases.

Changing where your iTunes files are stored:

By default, songs and other files you import are copied to the iTunes Music folder. You can choose to have your imported audio files copied to a different location.

You can also transfer files you've already imported from one location to another. For example, if you buy a new computer, you can move your iTunes files from the old computer to the new one.

Note: When you set iTunes to store your files in a new location, from that point on it copies newly imported files to that location. If you also want files that have already been imported into iTunes to be in the new location, you must manually move them (see below).

To change where imported audio (and other) files are stored from now on, choose iTunes > Preferences, then click the Advanced button at the top of the window and click General. Click the Change button and select a new location for your files. New songs and other items you import will be stored in the new location. Songs already imported stay in their current location (to move them, see below).

To move songs and other files you've already imported to a new location (for example, a different folder on your hard disk, or a different computer), drag the iTunes Music folder (by default, inside your home folder at Music/iTunes/iTunes Music) to the new location. To make sure any future songs you import are stored in the same place, choose iTunes > Preferences, click the Advanced button, and click General. If necessary, click Change to choose the location where you just dragged your files.

To change the storage location back to the iTunes Music folder, click Reset (in the Advanced pane of iTunes Preferences, in the General section).

Adding songs from the desktop to your library:

You can add songs or other audio files from your computer's desktop to your iTunes library.

Drag the audio file from the desktop to the Library in the Source list (or choose File > "Add to Library" and select the song file).

If you drag a folder or disk, all the audio files it contains will be added to your library. If you drag a song from the desktop to a playlist in the Source list, the song is added to the playlist and to your library.

By default, iTunes places a copy of the file in your iTunes Music folder; the original file is not moved.

About Playlists:

Add a song to a standard Playlist by dragging it from the main iTunes Library list onto the icon of the desired playlist. Only an alias goes into the playlist, the original song stays in the Library list.

Playlists are lists of songs (or other items from your library, such as audiobooks) that you can create to organize your library or burn a CD. For example, you might want to create a list of songs to listen to at a dinner party. Or, to make your own CD, you add songs to a playlist, and then burn the playlist to the CD.

Playlists can include songs, podcasts, audiobooks, videos, and links to Internet radio stations. Adding a song to a playlist does not remove it from the library; it places a pointer (or reference) to the file in the playlist. Any radio stations in your playlist will tune in only if you're connected to the Internet when you play your playlist.

You can create a standard playlist or a Smart Playlist. Standard playlists are created manually and are not automatically updated as your library changes (exception: songs you delete from your library are deleted from the playlists that include those songs). Smart Playlists are created based on rules you set up, and are automatically updated as your library changes.

About the iTunes Library file:

The iTunes Library file is a database of the songs listed in your library and the playlists you've created. This file is located in the iTunes Music folder inside your Music folder. Do not move this file to another location. If you delete it, iTunes will create a new, empty copy when you open the application, but any playlists, song ratings, comments, or other information you created will be lost.

Deleting a playlist or folder from the Source list:

You can delete a playlist or folder you've created. Deleting a playlist or folder from the Source list does not remove the songs from your music library or hard disk.

Click the playlist or folder icon to select it, then press the Delete key.

When you delete a folder, all the playlists and folders inside that folder are also deleted.

Finding where your iTunes files are stored:

The default location for your audio, video, and other iTunes files is the iTunes Music folder, located inside your Music folder in your home folder. The iTunes Music folder contains all the songs you've imported from CDs, and the songs, videos, podcasts, and other items you've downloaded from the Internet or copied from the desktop to iTunes. All of these files appear in your iTunes library window.

If you change settings in the Advanced pane of iTunes Preferences (in the General section), your iTunes files may be stored elsewhere.

To find out where a song file (or other iTunes file) is stored, select the item, then choose File > Get Info. In the Summary pane, the Where section indicates where the file is stored.

If the item is from a shared library or playlist, you'll see "remote" in the Kind section of the Summary pane. A remote file is played (or streamed) over your network connection (for example, a local area network); the file is not downloaded to your hard disk.

To reveal the file in the Finder, select the song and choose File > Show Song File.

Creating folders in the Source list:

You can add folders to the iTunes Source list to better organize your songs, videos, and other items. After you make a folder, you can add playlists and other folders to it. You can't add individual songs or videos directly to a folder.

1. Choose File > New Folder.

2. Type a name for the folder and press Return.

3. In the Source list, drag playlists or other folders into the folder you just created, or drag your new folder into another folder.

Note: To remove a folder from another folder and move it to the top level of the Source list, drag it to the bottom of the Source list.

When you select a folder in the Source list, the main iTunes window shows all the songs from all the playlists and folders inside that folder. The window doesn't show duplicates of songs.

Creating a Smart Playlist:

You can choose to have a playlist automatically created from specific songs in your library using Smart Playlists. You can create a Smart Playlist that includes only certain types of music, songs with high ratings, or songs that match other criteria. For example, you could create a playlist that's no more than 5 gigabytes (GB) in size, and includes only your highest rated jazz songs.

1. Choose File > New Smart Playlist.

2. To have iTunes add songs that match specific criteria, make sure "Match the following condition" is checked, then make your selections from the pop-up menus.

For example, you might want iTunes to only add songs that are by a particular artist, or songs with at least a four-star rating.

To add additional matching criteria, click the Add (+) button.

3. To make the playlist a specific duration or size, select "Limit to" and make your selections from the pop-up menus.

4. To include only songs that have a checkmark beside them in your library (and that match your conditions), select "Match only checked songs."

5. To have iTunes continually modify your Smart Playlist as songs are added to or removed from your library, make sure "Live updating" is selected.

6. To create your Smart Playlist, click OK, then name the playlist in the Source list.

Any songs in your library that match the settings you chose are added to the playlist. A Smart Playlist icon has a gear icon on it.

Organizing your music using playlists:

You can create lists of songs, called "playlists." You might want to create playlists to suit specific moods, to organize songs with a certain theme, or to group the songs you want to burn on a CD.

You can also include audiobooks, videos, podcasts, Internet radio stations, PDFs, and other items in playlists.

To create a playlist:

1. Choose File > New Playlist (or click the Add button in the bottom-left corner of the window).

2. Type a name for the playlist in the Source list.

3. Click Library, then drag a song (or other item) to the playlist in the Source list. To select multiple songs, hold the Command key or Shift key and click.

Any radio stations in your playlist will tune in only if you're connected to the Internet when you play your playlist.

To remove an item from the playlist, select it and press the Delete key (this does not remove the song from your library or hard disk).

To quickly create a playlist containing selected songs, select the songs and then choose File > New Playlist From Selection. For more tips on creating playlists, click "Tell me more."

To add a song or other item to a playlist, you can also Control-click or right-click the song, choose "Add to Playlist," and select a playlist.

You can also create a Smart Playlist that automatically adds songs to itself based on rules you choose. And you can create folders in the Source list and drag playlists and Smart Playlists into the folders to better organize them. For more information, click "Tell me more."

If you automatically sync your iPod with iTunes, any On-The-Go playlists you've created on your iPod appear in iTunes as "On-the-Go-1," "On-the-Go-2," and so on. If you rename these playlists in iTunes, the next time you sync your iPod the On-The-Go playlists on your iPod are also renamed. For more information, see the documentation that came with your iPod (or in iTunes, choose Help > iPod Help).

Saving a copy of a song in a new file format

You can convert a song to a different file format while keeping a copy of the original. For example, you can save a copy of a compressed song file such as MP3 or AAC in an uncompressed song format (AIFF or WAV).

When converting from a compressed to uncompressed file format (for example, from MP3 to AIFF) you shouldn't notice any reduction in sound quality. However, when converting between compressed formats (for example, MP3 and AAC), you may notice a reduction in the sound quality. For the best results, if you want your music encoded in a different file format, you should import the music again from the original source using the new encoding format.

To convert a song's file format:

1. Choose iTunes > Preferences, then click the Advanced button at the top of the window and click Importing.

2. From the Import Using pop-up menu, choose the encoding format that you want to convert the song to, then click OK to save the settings.

3. Select one or more songs in your library, then choose Advanced > Convert Selection to MP3, Convert Selection to AAC, Convert Selection to Apple Lossless, Convert Selection to AIFF, or Convert Selection to WAV. (The menu item changes to show what's selected in your Importing preferences.)

To convert all the songs in a folder or on a disk, hold down the Option key and choose Advanced > "Convert Selection to," then choose the folder or disk containing the songs you want to convert. All the songs in the folder or on the disk will be converted except songs you purchased from the Music Store. (Purchased songs are encoded using a protected AAC format that prevents them from being converted.)

The song in its original format and the newly converted song appear in your library.